Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Heathrow T5 after security

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by imkevinmc
It's a Heathrow specific process. You're mug entered the Heathrow security system and must be expunged. This normally happens as you board your plane. Not an issue if you've entered T5 from another UK airport, since you never entered the Heathrow security system.

I was seriously affected by this years ago when Heathrow practically closed for 3 hours on a Friday afternoon for a security test run . We were all " boarded" i.e. expunged from T5 security system, and then "guided" back out into T5 departure checkin. Hundreds of us.
In terms of biometrics, a similar system exists at MAN T1 and T3 have it although temporarily it isn't used as there are no mixed transit passengers currently so everyone airside comes from landside.

If you are on a UK/JER/DUB flight from T5 when you enter security either from landside, or go via connections (both INT-DOM connections and the separate DOM-DOM connections) you will have your face picture captured when you scan your bp. When you board it is matched again to ensure the person who used that bp originally is the person boarding the plane. It ensure you didn't swap bps with someone on an INT-INT connection who has not gone through the border, and allows you to have one airside areas which does not segregate international and domestic passengers.

My understanding and experience is that normally your biometics should not be deleted as soon as you board or even as soon as the flight departs - so I don't know what happened in your case. It should be deleted at the end of the day. We had this on the inaugural NQY flight where the flight departed and then developed a fault. We came back on stand and went through the biometric process again on un-board us so we could go back in the airside departures area.
Boeing77W and afish777 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
In terms of biometrics, a similar system exists at MAN T1 and T3 have it although temporarily it isn't used as there are no mixed transit passengers currently so everyone airside comes from landside.
It’s also used at Gatwick.
KARFA and afish777 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:43 pm

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro
Will arrive tomorrow in F on BA242, connecting to (seperate booking) LHR-ZRH in the evening.

Does my plan in theory work:

- Arrival from MEX
- going through immigration
- picking up luggage
- recheck luggage in First Wing for my flight to ZRH
- Enter concorde room for a nice Lunch
- LEAVING DEPARTURE LEVEL AT LHR (as I want to meet a friend in London for a quick coffee)
- going to the city and back to LHR
- via First Wing to Concorde room again and then Boarding the flight to Zürich

Apart from the time consumption factor, is this possible? Tricky Part for example is going twice through immigration within approx 1.5 hours and going twice through First Wing with the same Boarding Pass.

Thank you for your information.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
It’s also used at Gatwick.
Have they switched it back on again?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Swissairasia
Will arrive tomorrow in F on BA242, connecting to (seperate booking) LHR-ZRH in the evening.

- Arrival from MEX
- picking up luggage
- LEAVING DEPARTURE LEVEL AT LHR (as I want to meet a friend in London for a quick coffee)

Apart from the time consumption factor, is this possible? Tricky Part for example is going twice through immigration within approx 1.5 hours and going twice through First Wing with the same Boarding Pass.

​​​​​
If you can use the ePassport gates, going through immigration twice should be relatively fast and not a big issue. However you will run into some trouble entering the departure area a second time after leaving it. The First Wing scanner will not accept your boarding pass and neither will any of the other T5 security gates, for that matter. You will need to talk to a staff member to have your boarding pass manually "reset" and your previous entry removed, before you will be allowed back in.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:21 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kumulani
​​​​​
If you can use the ePassport gates, going through immigration twice should be relatively fast and not a big issue. However you will run into some trouble entering the departure area a second time after leaving it. The First Wing scanner will not accept your boarding pass and neither will any of the other T5 security gates, for that matter. You will need to talk to a staff member to have your boarding pass manually "reset" and your previous entry removed, before you will be allowed back in.
Assuming I’m looking at the right day I’m seeing a 1310 arrival and 1915 departure. While the whole plan is probably doable in six hours, there isn’t loads of time, even if every step goes smoothly.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This would all be a lot easier and frankly your lunch would be more pleasant if you just checked your bags and then went to London for lunch and to see your friend. If you must save money, grab a sandwich at Costa Coffee as you leave T5.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Apart from the time consumption factor, is this possible?

What you are suggesting is possible. No problems clearing the UK border, the issue will be getting 'ready to fly' reset when you try to enter t5 departures a 2nd time.

but time really is you big enemy here lets say 45 minutes to an hour to to collect and recheck bags, lets say you want to be back in T5 at least an hour before departure (yes conformance is 35 minutes but you need ready to fly reset) then add in an hour of travel time to paddingon and back (it may be quicker if you time it perfectly and trains depart immediatley)

That is us already eaten up 3 hours of your transit time.
an hour for lunch in the CCR? 90 minutes? So yes a quick coffee in paddingon is possible. If you are wanting to meet somewhere beyond paddington thrn you are eating further into your transit time.

i would consider check in the bags, then head into london, then back to lhr and eat in the CCR before the flight departs. I feel that would remove some of the stress involved, especially if someone once again cuts the powet lines on the train lines out of paddington
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I have another variation of Swissairasia - not sure if it's doable.
I do have a connection in LHR which is the next day (early AM). Will I be able to do the transfer upon arrival into LHR from AMS and go to the lounge and later that evening leave to the hotel and go back the next morning again into T3 (my flight leaves from T3).

IF yes - I am wondering how can I leave the departure area of T5 (never done it before).

Cheers!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I have another variation of Swissairasia - not sure if it's doable.
I do have a connection in LHR which is the next day (early AM). Will I be able to do the transfer upon arrival into LHR from AMS and go to the lounge and later that evening leave to the hotel and go back the next morning again into T3 (my flight leaves from T3).

IF yes - I am wondering how can I leave the departure area of T5 (never done it before).

Cheers!
you will not get into any departure area without a boarding pass for a departure that day.

If your departure is the next morning that boarding pass will not get you access when you arrive from AMS the day before
nldogbert and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:40 am

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro

- Arrival from MEX
- picking up luggage

As a follow up to my own question and maybe some informations for other travellers with similar ideas:

It all went perfectly smooth and I had more than enough time for Lunch and afterwards a coffee close to Paddington Station. And this even though First Wing security is closed at the moment for some maintenance work.

The only thing I completely underestimated has been the very long delivery time of the checked luggage at LHR. Here are my time stamps of the several steps:

13:12 Touchdown
13:18 At the gate
13:22 In the bridge
13:26 In the train to arrivals
13:31 Through e-gates immigration
13:33 Arrival at baggage carousel
14:21 Luggage arrived
14:26 First Wing Check in
14:34 Arrival to Concorde Room
14:42 Lunch at the CCR
15:20 leaving CCR and heading to the T5-C Gates shuttle
15:26 staying in the train at T5-C Gates
15:31 E-Passport immigration
15:42 Heathrow Express to Paddington
16:02 Arrival at Paddington
17:55 Heathrow Express back to LHR
18:16 Arrival at LHR T5
18:20 Drama (as expected) with my already used Boarding Pass. Didnt work twice even though they checked it again in First Wing. The Trick that made it work at the 3rd time: you need them to change your seat, afterwards it worked like a charm.
18:35 Arrival to CCR for a quick drink
18:53 Arrival to Gate A9 for my flight to ZRH.

Sounds very stressful, but actually was quite OK.

To the question, why I do not just buy lunch at Costa Coffee: CCR still has a very special atmosphere for me and I always like to enjoy it if I have the possibility.

Furthermore, like this I could leave my hand luggage trolley in the lounge and going without luggage to Paddington. And this is Flyertalk after all, so I anyways dont understand the question, why someone prefers CCR over Costa coffee

Cheers from snowy Switzerland
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.