Search

241 BA Visa Voucher " swap out" question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
241 BA Visa Voucher " swap out" question

Hello,

What I'm trying to do is to exchange/swap 241 vouchers on an existing booking.

Somehow I didn't use the oldest ( closest to expiration date, if you like ) 241 voucher I have in my account for a booking.

I want to change it, to keep the further-out expiration voucher, (currently being applied to the booking) for another trip, and swap in my soonest-to-be expiring voucher.

Hope that makes sense!

Wondering if anyone knows if this is something that could be done without having to cancel the entire booking and starting over.

Thanks for any replies.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold; BA Gold; Hertz PC
I had a similar scenario in 2019, I'd used my own voucher and realised my wife had one that was ending sooner. I was told they couldn't change the vouchers, I would need to cancel and rebook. I did later decide I wanted to change my flights as Covid had started affecting travel and as I'd chosen a connecting flight I thought it would be better to fly direct. So I rebooked with the other voucher only to eventually have the flights cancelled so all a waste of time.

I'd expect they would say you would need to rebook but worth calling and asking as the world of travel has changed a lot over the last year,
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:29 pm

I've had vouchers swapped on the phone. Took about 10 minutes tops.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would stick with what you have, and with the voucher due to expire earlier, book a cheap holding flight such as LHR-EDI and then cancel to Future Travel Voucher, which will then preserve the 241 until Spring 2023
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Thank you both contractor and mikeyfly for your repies

I will look into your suggestion mikeyfly
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I would stick with what you have, and with the voucher due to expire earlier, book a cheap holding flight such as LHR-EDI and then cancel to Future Travel Voucher, which will then preserve the 241 until Spring 2023
I can actually do this ??? I just want to be clear before I accidentally lose the voucher. I have a Chase Avios Companion Voucher. It is set to expire next month. Are you saying if I reserve today 2 tickets using Avios and the 2-4-1 voucher (not a cash fare) for a flight say in January 2022 and then cancel it, the 2-4-1 voucher will then be extended until May of 2023 (must start travel by May 2023) ?? I hope this is right as I don't want this voucher to just expire next month.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
... the 2-4-1 voucher will then be extended until May of 2023 (must start travel by May 2023) ??
If the voucher is on the FTV, then it's subject to the same rules as the rest of the FTV: all travel must be completed by 30 April 2023.

What I don't know for sure is whether a Chase voucher can be put into an FTV in the same way that a (UK) Amex voucher can. But I personally can't see why not, and hopefully someone will be along shortly to confirm that it's just the same for Chase.

The other thing that you may need to brush up on is the routing restrictions for a Chase voucher. A (UK) Amex voucher must be used for travel starting in the UK (which has a slightly wider definition than the political one) - hence mikeyfly's suggestion above for booking a one-way LHR-EDI. (Even for a (UK) Amex voucher, that's not necessarily the cheapest route, but I digress.) However, this may not work for a Chase voucher.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
My BA Visa 241 voucher expired recently.I understand BA is offering extensions for the vouchers due to Covid. Will they reinstate and extend a recently expired voucher? Whom do I call or write to request?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by nologic
My BA Visa 241 voucher expired recently.I understand BA is offering extensions for the vouchers due to Covid. Will they reinstate and extend a recently expired voucher? Whom do I call or write to request?
Are you sure that it is expired? All unused 241 vouchers were previously extended to 2022.
From ba.com:
All unused vouchers had a 6-month extension applied to their validity in March 2020. Subsequently, all unused vouchers that were due to expire before 31 March 2021 had a 6-month extension applied to their validity in October 2020. In February 2021, we added a further 6-month extension to all vouchers that were due to expire before the 31 December 2021, giving members more chance to enjoy them.We’re also adding an additional 6-months validity to all new Companion Voucher or Travel Together tickets earned before 31 December 2021.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If the voucher is on the FTV, then it's subject to the same rules as the rest of the FTV: all travel must be completed by 30 April 2023.

What I don't know for sure is whether a Chase voucher can be put into an FTV in the same way that a (UK) Amex voucher can. But I personally can't see why not, and hopefully someone will be along shortly to confirm that it's just the same for Chase.

The other thing that you may need to brush up on is the routing restrictions for a Chase voucher. A (UK) Amex voucher must be used for travel starting in the UK (which has a slightly wider definition than the political one) - hence mikeyfly's suggestion above for booking a one-way LHR-EDI. (Even for a (UK) Amex voucher, that's not necessarily the cheapest route, but I digress.) However, this may not work for a Chase voucher.
Yes, a Chase voucher can be extended in the same manner. And travel must originate in the US.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
My extended Visa 241 companion voucher expires in Oct...in order to use it, do I need to ticket by Oct or travel by Oct? Can I ticket by Oct for a flight any time within the next 12 moths following my ticketing date?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
My extended Visa 241 companion voucher expires in Oct...in order to use it, do I need to ticket by Oct or travel by Oct? Can I ticket by Oct for a flight any time within the next 12 moths following my ticketing date?
From the Terms & Conditions:

”Outbound travel must take place before the expiry date stated on the voucher, however inbound travel may take place after the expiry date.”

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ravel-together

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.