Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

One parent, two 6 yo kids in CW, where to seat

Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Looking for recommendations regarding seating as one adult with two 6 yo twins in CW and CE. We have upcoming trips LAX-LIN and back in June. Kids are well behaved and have never caused any trouble in CW. I usually travel with Mr. Hyperspace but this time I’ll be solo.
I like to have the kids in the two middle seats, will BA seat them even if technically I’d be next to only one of them? What happens in CE? Would they seat them together with me across the isle?
thank you!
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:57 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The options we have used are the following.
1. New comfig. Adult in middle seat, kids in two windows adjacent and in front of adult. Then you can get to both easily without having to climb over people, and you can Watch when either leaves or needs to head to the bathroom, needs help with entertainment, gets hungry, etc. you could reverse this with kids in middles, but kids tend to like windows.
2. Old comfig. Kids in windows. Adult in window aisle seat so that one kid is opposite and the other is in front of you. Both windows face backwards and you face forwards. So you can easily get to and see both.
3. Old comfig. You in aisle, two kids in the middle. Downside is if the kids like to annoy each other or you cannot get to the far side kid easily.

you may need to look at the pictorial seat map to get that due to the ying and yang comfig.

I would also look at the last row in the cabin. There you can create your own space with #3 using the bulkhead wall rather than over other peoples feet’s.

BA will generally only worry about exits.

for CE I would avoid row 1 as kids often like to put things under the seat.

unless you have status, I think you will have to pay for seat selection until around 7 days out. They will promise to seat you together, but I would not trust the computer for the most optimum space.

KF
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. So many good ideas!
we usually take the back of the cabin and keep the twins in the middle seats, but we might get bumped if someone with a baby needs the cot.
I really like your strategy of kids on window seats and me sort of in between them with the aisle seat. I didn’t think how that seat can actually reach comfortably both kids, with the added advantage of keeping them separate.

im actually hoping not to have the new club suite as that feels not ideal for traveling families (which I get it, we are not the target customers).

I’ve always done LAX-LHR on an a380, so not sure what to expect now that they use different aircrafts on the route
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:12 am
Original Poster

For CE, would BA leave two 6 yo together? Does that meet safety regulations or do they need to be next to an adult, even if that’s a stranger? That would make me a bit uneasy.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In CE, no, the two children can sit together on their own. You may be able to persuade the cabin crew member to just have the 3 seats together, particularly on the NEOs I can't see the problem with that. But at that point you may as well travel EuroTraveller instead.

In legacy CW I would go middle and one aisle. If they play up you can always swap one kid out to the aisle and you take the central seat.

In new CS I would travel WTP instead, central block. The CS arrangement means you can't easily see across the aisle, just the two central seats have line of sight with each other.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In CE, no, the two children can sit together on their own. You may be able to persuade the cabin crew member to just have the 3 seats together, particularly on the NEOs I can't see the problem with that. But at that point you may as well travel EuroTraveller instead.

In legacy CW I would go middle and one aisle. If they play up you can always swap one kid out to the aisle and you take the central seat.

In new CS I would travel WTP instead, central block. The CS arrangement means you can't easily see across the aisle, just the two central seats have line of sight with each other.
Thank you so much C-W-S as always for sharing your knowledge! Might opt for the twin middle seats and me on the aisle, with the option like you said to split them if needed. Incidentally, the MMB says "Seat choices are only available at check-in." when I try to check and pay for seating. maybe is because I just recently moved the flights due to cancellations from BA?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hyperspace
Thank you so much C-W-S as always for sharing your knowledge! Might opt for the twin middle seats and me on the aisle, with the option like you said to split them if needed. Incidentally, the MMB says "Seat choices are only available at check-in." when I try to check and pay for seating. maybe is because I just recently moved the flights due to cancellations from BA?
Yes, you are probably not ticketed yet, so online seat selection won't work - you could call up instead. With young children you do get set selection for free in the 72 to 48 hour period, and the middle seats are otherwise unpopular whilst they are great for your purposes. If you can get Ruby or Sapphire on BA/AA/Alaska you can do this sooner than that. Aircraft changes are going to be inevitable, though, you may want to leave it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.