Edinburgh Airport

Old Apr 3, 21, 3:23 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EB Gold, JX COSMILE Insighter, Flying Blue Silver
Edinburgh Airport

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has flown ex-EDI recently? If so is priority check-in still gone? The times I've flown from Edinburgh late last year, either on BA or otherwise there's always a long check-in line if you're checking in luggage. Was hoping there'll be some change...
Old Apr 3, 21, 5:28 pm
K&C

Programs: BAEC Gold
My daughter flew EDI-LHR recently and reports no priority bag drop/check-in/boarding. Not really an issue as the airport was empty.

I know back in Nov/Dec if you had bags to check-in the wait could be longer as the staff had to deal with connecting passengers that didn’t always have the necessary documents for onward destinations via London. They would always call you forward when it came near the cut off time for bag drop.
Old Apr 4, 21, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was there last week - no priority check-in, just one queue for everyone. Fairly slow process as quite a few passengers with onward connections having problems with paperwork.

The floor-standing sign for priority check-in was hidden under the escalator - so hopefully will be back one day!
Old Apr 5, 21, 8:20 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EB Gold, JX COSMILE Insighter, Flying Blue Silver
Thank you everyone for your answers! I much appreciate them! I suppose you're right, that the airport is likely empty these days due to the lockdown in place. Hope it wouldn't be too much of an effort to get checked-in in a few weeks compared to December
Old Apr 6, 21, 10:21 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I have been passing through regularly over the last few months. It is deathly quiet, just interrupted by the tannoy telling you it has the most destinations in Scotland. Costa, Cafe Nero and WH Smiths are open. Boarding is by row number, but seems to be getting more and more abused.
Be prepared to check your bags then haul them to the other end of the baggage hall to the handlers.
Good luck.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Apr 6, 21, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott gold, HH diamond IHG plat
Yes it’s not a good experience at EDI at all with that terrible checkin area and then put your own bags on the belt. Not what you’d expect from a capital city airport, it seems to have been going on for months
Old Apr 6, 21, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by squeeler View Post
Be prepared to check your bags then haul them to the other end of the baggage hall to the handlers.
I’ve not departed from EDI in ages - why the issue with baggage? Is the belt system undergoing repair or some other reason?
Old Apr 6, 21, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As I understand it they were rebuilding the baggage belt system when the pandemic hit, and have persisted with what was supposed to be a temporary solution involving a separate baggage area at the end of the check-in hall. You still have to check-in at the airline desks, since they still need to relate that back to the booking conditions. The check-in hall is truncated by wooden panels on the apron side of the building.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Apr 6, 21, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
From a passenger perspective, at first glance, the baggage system would appear to be operational. I can only assume that behind the scenes it’s not yet ready as customers are required to walk from the BA desks to the ‘injection’ point by the easyJet desks. When up an running it’ll be a similar set up to what I’ve witnessed at a number of airports in the USA.

This link has more information on the project and a video/pictures of the new setup. It has looked ‘finished’ for quite some time now...
Europe's Largest LED Check-in Display
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Apr 6, 21, 2:16 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Boeing77W View Post
From a passenger perspective, at first glance, the baggage system would appear to be operational. I can only assume that behind the scenes it’s not yet ready as customers are required to walk from the BA desks to the ‘injection’ point by the easyJet desks. When up an running it’ll be a similar set up to what I’ve witnessed at a number of airports in the USA.

This link has more information on the project and a video/pictures of the new setup. It has looked ‘finished’ for quite some time now...
Europe's Largest LED Check-in Display
Im confused, what's happening with the luggage system? what have you seen in the US out of interest.
Old Apr 6, 21, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
Im confused, what's happening with the luggage system? what have you seen in the US out of interest.
Amongst works in the background to improve speed and efficiency of the whole system, the airport has redesigned the check in hall. They’ve removed the ‘traditional’ desks and replaced them with podiums which are far more compact. Behind the podiums is a single baggage belt that runs the length of the hall, approximately 80m. After bags are tagged, passengers walk past the podium and place their own bags on the belt. This can be seen in the link I shared above. However, at the moment the single belt is not operational and so BA passengers have to walk the length of the hall to a second belt located by the easyJet desks to drop their bags off after they’ve been tagged, this is temporary.

This design, amongst some other major changes such as the relocation of the domestic arrivals exit, has allowed the airport to significantly increase check in hall capacity. I’ve seen this set up at a number of US airports, podium style check in counters with one large baggage belt running behind.
Old Apr 6, 21, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The USA systems sometimes involves a baggage belt going along a wall, with the check in desk, which becomes more like a podium, someway forward of the belt, rather than built into the belt structure. So you check-in, if necessary the bag gets checked for size and weitght on a mini pad by the desk. You then get your baggage tags and are invited to walk forwards. This brings you to the belt, you place the bags on the belt, then turn left or right to security - at this point you are walking between the check-in desks and the belt. This allows the airport to be flexible on space and airlines. The other way to do it is with a bank of machines for self service, then once you have tagged, same thing, you walk to the continuously running belt and put your bags on it. Clearly if you screw up the bag tags, bad things will happen. I remember seeing someone clutching their tags as they walked on to the aircraft, they had put the bags on the belt, but not the labels on the bags......
Boeing77W, PGberkshire and ENTP like this.
Old Apr 6, 21, 2:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Boeing77W View Post
Amongst works in the background to improve speed and efficiency of the whole system, the airport has redesigned the check in hall. They’ve removed the ‘traditional’ desks and replaced them with podiums which are far more compact. Behind the podiums is a single baggage belt that runs the length of the hall, approximately 80m. After bags are tagged, passengers walk past the podium and place their own bags on the belt. This can be seen in the link I shared above. However, at the moment the single belt is not operational and so BA passengers have to walk the length of the hall to a second belt located by the easyJet desks to drop their bags off after they’ve been tagged, this is temporary.

This design, amongst some other major changes such as the relocation of the domestic arrivals exit, has allowed the airport to significantly increase check in hall capacity. I’ve seen this set up at a number of US airports, podium style check in counters with one large baggage belt running behind.
Nice, I read the link - it focused a lot on LED technology. Who knew airports are a giant screen with runways attached.

Personally, sounds like chaos - trusting people to deposit their own bags....how many will be knocked off!
Boeing77W likes this.
Old Apr 6, 21, 3:15 pm

Nice, I read the link - it focused a lot on LED technology. Who knew airports are a giant screen with runways attached...
Pre COVID most airports seemed to be anything but an airport in the traditional sense

I appreciate the article focuses on the LED technology, it was more for the photo/video of the layout.
Old Apr 6, 21, 3:46 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Perhaps I've misunderstood, but is this not open to nefarious activity? What procedures are in place to deter a chancer picking an expensive looking designer bag off the long belt and wondering off outside with it?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: