Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[RUMOUR] BA rights deal for Tottenham Stadium

Old Mar 29, 21, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

I’ve seen a few rumours circling online that BA are being considered for the naming rights deal for new-ish Tottenham Hotspur Sports Stadium.

Built 2016-19 and opened 3rd Apr 19, the stadium has an NFL deal to host NFL games as it has the worlds first retractable ground and therefore has both an American football pitch and a soccer (rest of the world) pitch. It will also hold concerts and other events, once restrictions are eased and this allowed.

The stadium has been used as a multi use facility during lockdowns to help out local NHS healthcare.

Capacity is 62,850.

I wonder if anyone on here has heard the rumour and if there’s any truth behind it?

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Mar 30, 21 at 3:36 am
Old Mar 29, 21, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
It would be a very hard to justify what you’d assume would be a big money deal in the current climate.

The fact the NFL plays there too would make it a more logical choice than other high profile venues
Old Mar 29, 21, 12:57 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Spurs are the worst - this was be branding suicide
Old Mar 29, 21, 1:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
Spurs are the worst - this was be branding suicide
As an Arsenal fan I may have to look for a new favourite airline Emirates perhaps?
gustavmahler, eugnk and Fatdickie like this.
Old Mar 29, 21, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
It would be a very hard to justify what you’d assume would be a big money deal in the current climate.
Absolutely. I'd be amazed if BA were to commit to spending of that nature right now.
Old Mar 29, 21, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Absolutely. I'd be amazed if BA were to commit to spending of that nature right now.
I guess that depends on the perceived return on investment and what cash is committed now vs the length of the deal. The timing of such a deal could actually be good for BA in a post-Covid era with fans due to return to the stadium, NFL games to be played and aired and travel to grow back to pre-19 levels over the next 4-8 years, it could be seen as a great way to help grow BA’s business all over again. Which all airlines will need to do.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 29, 21, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post

The fact the NFL plays there too would make it a more logical choice than other high profile venues
Pre Covid, Spurs were purported to be looking for £25m per year for naming rights. Amazon were sniffing around at that price for a 10 year deal. Now though, post Covid, with far less money available, a deal more in line with the original Arsenal deal of around £5m per year is more likely. With the exposure the Stadium name would get in the US with the NFL games, that might be justifiable for BA. For comparison, Arsenal made a deal with EK in 2013 for 30m per year for 5 years, but that also included shirt sponsorship, which Spurs already have tied up with AIA until the end of the 2026/27 season.

Regardless, us Spurs fans will still call it White Hart Lane anyway!
smokie36 and MSYtoJFKagain like this.
Old Mar 29, 21, 2:18 pm

They’ll struggle to get any exposure in the Champions League with Spurs though. Fair dos to the spuds though, once you get past the toilet bowl exterior it’s light years ahead of any other PL stadium and the best in the country. Happy that West Ham managed to be the ones to “deflower” the place.
Old Mar 29, 21, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Originally Posted by SpurMan View Post
Pre Covid, Spurs were purported to be looking for £25m per year for naming rights. Amazon were sniffing around at that price for a 10 year deal. Now though, post Covid, with far less money available, a deal more in line with the original Arsenal deal of around £5m per year is more likely. With the exposure the Stadium name would get in the US with the NFL games, that might be justifiable for BA. For comparison, Arsenal made a deal with EK in 2013 for 30m per year for 5 years, but that also included shirt sponsorship, which Spurs already have tied up with AIA until the end of the 2026/27 season.

Regardless, us Spurs fans will still call it White Hart Lane anyway!
I hope that (if it happens) the executive club lounge they install is better than the one they stuck in the car park at Twickenham...
Old Mar 29, 21, 2:29 pm

I thought they would be looking for a Premier football team similar in status to the England rugby team - West Brom.
Old Mar 29, 21, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
I hope that (if it happens) the executive club lounge they install is better than the one they stuck in the car park at Twickenham...
From what I’ve read and heard the H Club is even better than the CCR T5

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/tic...ur/the-h-club/
Old Mar 29, 21, 3:57 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk View Post
From what I’ve read and heard the H Club is even better than the CCR T5

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/tic...ur/the-h-club/
It is! The whole stadium is pretty incredible. Good pies and beers in the main area as well. I sadly took the tour before the Skywalk was open. My tour guide happened to be the guy who does the YouTube stream now. I think his name is Ben Haines. He was doing them as a "break-in" period before hosting the pre and post match stream.
Old Mar 29, 21, 8:19 pm

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk View Post
... therefore has both an American football (USA) pitch and a soccer football (rest of the world) pitch. It will also hold concerts and other events, once restrictions are eased and this allowed.
Fixed that for you
Old Mar 29, 21, 9:17 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Do the naming rights for a stadium really generate a good ROI? I get to hear the name “British airways” more frequently, but I don’t understand why that would make me feel more positive to the company, and certainly isn’t a call to action to engage with the airline.
Old Mar 29, 21, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Do the naming rights for a stadium really generate a good ROI? I get to hear the name “British airways” more frequently, but I don’t understand why that would make me feel more positive to the company, and certainly isn’t a call to action to engage with the airline.
When people talk about the Emirates or Etihad stadia I don't even associate it with the airline anymore if it's used in a footballing context.
HIDDY, James91, RockyRobin and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: