Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[RUMOUR] BA rights deal for Tottenham Stadium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOUR] BA rights deal for Tottenham Stadium

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2021, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Fixed that for you
Much better thanks. However there’s a case of arguing that Premier League and even lower league football pitches are next level compared to some of the rest of the world.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Mar 30, 2021 at 3:38 am
Old Mar 30, 2021, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
The Speedbird?
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by sxc
Do the naming rights for a stadium really generate a good ROI? I get to hear the name “British airways” more frequently, but I don’t understand why that would make me feel more positive to the company, and certainly isn’t a call to action to engage with the airline.
I think the passive visual ad return is probably decent but very hard to measure. Having the name said 50x per broadcast is a plus but is it worth millions every year? I don't think so.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by golfmad
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Spurs are the worst - this was be branding suicide
As an Arsenal fan I may have to look for a new favourite airline Emirates perhaps?
Will there be a prize for the first person to say "Right, that's the final straw, I really will never ever fly BA again"?
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It's a tricky decision especially with something tribal like football. For a start, what would it actually be called? 'The BA'? 'The O2' has become a household name for the Dome, and 'the Emirates' seems to have settled as the 'official' name for the Arsenal ground.

It IS a good stadium, so plenty of opportunities for hospitality which the airline may value. Emirates has THE best box at Arsenal, and virtually all of the tickets are given away for Skywards miles, with hot food and all your drinks included. It is a great experience.

Politically, however, it would exceptionally hard to justify given the redundancies, Government-backed loans etc taken by BA and IAG.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Well , being an Arsenal fan I am now going to be torn as to should or shouldnt I fly BA anymore....
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
IMHO, unless you go "all-in" as Emirates appear to have done with Arsenal in the UK, and with other clubs elsewhere, then just naming the Stadium is more about Executive egos than gaining real publicity and PR.
As others have observed, it will always be called White Hart lane anyway. (Or similar)
A real waste of money.

And Spurs last won the League in 1961. So it is their 60th Anniversary of not winning it!

61, never again, 61, never again. .....................Repeat, endlessly.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:44 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Top clubs are in Manchester but hey we don't even rate a lounge
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
'Speedbird Stadium' doesn't sound too bad. Much better than the Emirates!
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Maybe it is a good fit - “we keep telling everyone we intend to be a top airline but somehow we never quite compete on a level with the top teams” :-)

Spurs are also London focused so that works too.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I think the passive visual ad return is probably decent but very hard to measure. Having the name said 50x per broadcast is a plus but is it worth millions every year? I don't think so.
given some of the numbers chucked around in the US for stadium naming rights over the years, people obviously see value in it
Old Mar 30, 2021, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
IMHO, unless you go "all-in" as Emirates appear to have done with Arsenal in the UK, and with other clubs elsewhere, then just naming the Stadium is more about Executive egos than gaining real publicity and PR.
As others have observed, it will always be called White Hart lane anyway. (Or similar)
A real waste of money.

And Spurs last won the League in 1961. So it is their 60th Anniversary of not winning it!

61, never again, 61, never again. .....................Repeat, endlessly.
Spurs will win the league it’s a now a matter of when not if. (Many will laugh or spit out their food at that statement) I wouldn’t blame them. Spurs may win another cup in the meantime.

What I witnessed from a business perspective is that they have been smart in building the entire brand, infrastructure, global relationships and academy players etc to do so. They are on a mission to be a global brand and trophy’s will be apart of that.

One of their players (Son Hueng-Min) is Asia’s biggest football, if not sport star and commands a huge media presence across Asia. Coupled with AIA (Pan Asian Insurance) the exposure works well for the club.

The NFL partnership is new and once restrictions ease, games and fans allowed, it’s a nice business seed to sow for exposure in the US. Spurs women recently had a top US player on loan again more great exposure for the Spurs brand.

When they do win the league or a cup, whoever has their name to the ground will be smug from ear to ear. The PR for something like that is very powerful. I still recall a stadium I’ve passed many times in the US, cemented and lit up in a large sign is Citibank. I don’t know who the club is but I remember Citibank.

So I wouldn’t agree it’s about egos nor the long lived season ticket holders who want it to be forever White Hart Lane.

I certainly prefer The BA stadium (or ground) to say...The Lidl stadium!
Old Mar 30, 2021, 2:51 pm

£250 million is the reported figure.

British Airways reportedly in discussions with Tottenham Hotspur over £250 million stadium's naming rights | Sportslens.com
Old Mar 30, 2021, 3:13 pm

I’m not sure who is flying this kite but it’s a non-runner. Never going to happen.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 3:13 pm

Brentfords brand new community stadium would be a good option, a lot cheaper and on the Heathrow flight path, and the possibilty of top tier foorball in the next few years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.