Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Auckland - London using Avios (Dec 2021/Jan 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland - London using Avios (Dec 2021/Jan 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2021, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
All flights for year-end are placeholders, based on pre-covid schedules. Many will not operate. A good starting point is to see what is currently operating.
The only OW airline that has been flying reliably during this pandemic is QR.
As mentioned above, it does a brief stop in BNE.

CX is down to a handful longhaul flights due to the Hong Kong quarantine of air crews. That is not likely to change for a few months. What happens by year-end is unpredictable today. But it is obvious that there won't be full schedules.

It never hurts to do an avios booking and cancel it if flights do not operate.
I would hesitate to book in F because, AKL-HKG will never have F and the same could apply to CX HKG-LHR..Only BA will/might have F, but the Club suite is expected from December.
yes i made a mistake thinking AKL-LHR was First, when infact its a BUS/FIRST combo

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Except DOH-LHR, which is currently suspended (so far as passengers are concerned), I think? But that simply underlines your point that nothing is certain.
Hopefully sorted by end of the year with any sort of luck

Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed, many incoming routes have been suspended by Governments. The UK is a strong example as it has suspended many UK incoming routes recently, including DOH, and also suffers from many outgoing route suspension by other governments, like HKG.
But even when airlines could legally fly, they have discontinued service. Unlike others, QR has maintained a lot of routes.
UK government is one of the worst with their constant flip flopping - e.g. travel corridors one day then red zones the next. Thanks for the info. Im already researching OW multicarrier rewards, they look fascinating and awesome if you can pull it off.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 4:30 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Remember with the multi-partner reward you have to use two or more partners, so AKL - LHR and back on the same airline generally won't work.... but you might be able to squeeze in another flight on Qantas for later (or never) to "force" your booking to be multi-partner one.

For example, you could do AKL - HKG - LHR - HKG - AKL - SYD (on Qantas) (maybe anywhere east coast Oz) for just under 25k miles. Gives mum a bonus trip to Oz (one way only though). Could even do one of HKG - LHR/LHR - HKG on BA if you couldn't find CX availability.

However, AKL - DOH - LHR - DOH - AKL wouldn't work (only one airline), nor would adding AKL - SYD as over 25k miles.

AKL - DOH - LHR - HKG - AKL (or v.v.) would work (two airlines) but I don't think you'd be able to add AKL - east coast Oz as that would also take you over 25k miles.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
To stick within the 25k miles and make it a little easier on the body by continually flying west why not do an around the world AKL-HKG-LHR-DFW-AKL
Old Mar 24, 2021, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by wijibintheair
To stick within the 25k miles and make it a little easier on the body by continually flying west why not do an around the world AKL-HKG-LHR-DFW-AKL
I did think of this when I first posted and if you can find availability on AA for that final leg I would definitely agree.

I have traditionally found the best availability to Auckland to have been on Qatar, Malaysia or Cathay. Qantas has good options but obviously requires an additional stop somewhere in Australia.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
I've been looking at various options to fly my mum to London from Auckland, i want to fly her around the xmas period.

Searching BA.COM yields quite a few options, but the majority of my searches result in a AKL - HKG - LHR using Cathay Pacific + British Airways.
For example
  • a one-way economy AKL-LHR with CX and BA is 66000 Avios + £ 98.90 or 62000 Avios + £ 96.80 if just CX the 14th December.
  • a one-way FIRST AKL-LHR with CX and BA is 194750 Avios + £ 100.70 or 216500 Avios + £ 98.60 if just CX the 14th December.
*note i need to fly on a single ticket/PNR to ensure any travel disruption is automatically handled by the carrier. I am most tempted with sticking with CX but worried about it being a BA booking. I am wondering what is the best way to book these tickets, e.g. my currency is BA Avios and ive only searched on BA.COM, but am i missing an opportunity to find it cheaper somewhere else, e.g. AA or something, assuming i can using my BA Avios there?

Any tips/experience with this appreciated.

The advice that has been provided is very good and I would simply add book now, the most convenient costs effective option. If you can stretch to F on CX then do so, albeit its just HKG LHR. They are superb. Even their J is excellent.

There will be a lot of changes between now and the end of the year however being booked means you need to be rerouted by the ticketing carrier so if one or more sectors are cancelled you would be re accommodated on another flight, usually a one world carrier.

Good luck
mikeyfly and babyg_wc like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Result... using the advice here i got 3 legs business, 1 leg first on 2 carriers and 1pnr for 240,000 Avios and £366.52
Much better than the standard avios redemption from BA

Outbound Flight 1: Auckland - Hong Kong, CX0198, BUS
Outbound Flight 2: Hong Kong - Heathrow (London), CX0255 <<< FIRST
Inbound Flight 1: Heathrow (London) - Kuala Lumpur, MH0003 BUS
Inbound Flight 2: Kuala Lumpur - Auckland, MH0133 BUS

All done via the BA website too!
MM00LL2, alex67500, ENTP and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Result... using the advice here i got 3 legs business, 1 leg first on 2 carriers and 1pnr for 240,000 Avios and £366.52

Good result

Now just hope those flights operate. Or if not can be accommodated on other flights.
Depending on the situation at the time may need to do 14 days isolation in MIQ on returning to NZ. MIQ slots on a particular day can be very hard to get. Look ~3 months before arrival date. Look every day.
https://allocation.miq.govt.nz/portal/
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Good result

Now just hope those flights operate. Or if not can be accommodated on other flights.
Depending on the situation at the time may need to do 14 days isolation in MIQ on returning to NZ. MIQ slots on a particular day can be very hard to get. Look ~3 months before arrival date. Look every day.
https://allocation.miq.govt.nz/portal/
Thanks, Ill check out the links and get up to speed on "re-entry" criteria - thou to be fair if quarantine is still needed in Jan 2022 will probably bin the trip.
Multi-partner reward flights are definately the way to go for a single person thou.. mega savings on points!
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Thanks, Ill check out the links and get up to speed on "re-entry" criteria - thou to be fair if quarantine is still needed in Jan 2022 will probably bin the trip.
Multi-partner reward flights are definately the way to go for a single person thou.. mega savings on points!
NZ Govt has budgeted for mandatory hotel quarantine until mid 2022. The NZ population will not be fully vaccinated by Dec 2021. The NZ Govt will be ultra conservative on fully opening the border.
Link-->New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
off topic

NZ Govt has budgeted for mandatory hotel quarantine until mid 2022. The NZ population will not be fully vaccinated by Dec 2021. The NZ Govt will be ultra conservative on fully opening the border.
Link-->New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]
Yeah will see how things pan out, travel bubbles between AUS / NZ look likely shortly... UK VAX programme is going well.... fingers crossed, but also fully prepared to simply cancel if things dont work out...
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:44 am

excellent work.

sounds like it has priced it using the multi-partner rules given the total mileage you’ve be charged.

however, I’m very intrigued by getting a first class flight included in a business award for the same cost.

anymore know if this is actually permitted or whether it’s an IT failing on the BA website?

either way, great booking for a great price.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawes7701
excellent work.

sounds like it has priced it using the multi-partner rules given the total mileage you’ve be charged.

however, I’m very intrigued by getting a first class flight included in a business award for the same cost.

anymore know if this is actually permitted or whether it’s an IT failing on the BA website?

either way, great booking for a great price.
after being informed about multicarrier awards (via this thread) my googling suggests that costs is based on the longest leg..... so in theory you could get very luck and have 2 or 3 legs in First and jut the longest leg in business... and only pay business redemption rates... HFP and other websites seem to indicate this too... I tried to make this work with 2 legs in first (CX LHR-HKG), but i couldn't get this to work via BA.COM, and to be honest was very happy being able to book business with a bonus leg in First. My mum gets to fly in CX first before ive even had a chance (assuming Covid situation calms down)
Mwenenzi and Hawes7701 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:22 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Interesting that you could book including the first class leg online. Pretty low taxes too. I'm not surprised you are pleased.

As I said upthread, you could add AKL-SYD (just over 25k per GCMap but only 24,990 per BA)for just the taxes (possibly plus £35 change fee) later in the year once you know this is going ahead if your mum fancied a trip to Sydney next year.
Hawes7701 and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by louie-m
Interesting that you could book including the first class leg online. Pretty low taxes too. I'm not surprised you are pleased.

As I said upthread, you could add AKL-SYD (just over 25k per GCMap but only 24,990 per BA)for just the taxes (possibly plus £35 change fee) later in the year once you know this is going ahead if your mum fancied a trip to Sydney next year.
Ah i didnt fully understand what you meant by that... basically mum could have a free one-way trip to Sydney if she so inclined - interesting!

Actually it got me thinking, can i add a LHR-FAO in the middle of my trip for free (we need to fly to portugal whilst my mum is here)
?
Currently the trip is
AKL-HKG-LHR
>< can i add a LHR-FAO (open jaw) here? - trip stays under 25k miles, but is open jaw
LHR-KUL-AKL

CX0198 - Cathay Pacific Airways | Business | Confirmed
Auckland - Hong Kong
CX0255
Cathay Pacific Airways | First | Confirmed
Hong Kong - Heathrow (London)

MH0003 - Malaysia Airlines | Business | Confirmed
Heathrow (London) - Kuala Lumpur
MH0133 - Malaysia Airlines | Business | Confirmed
Kuala Lumpur - Auckland

Avios points debited 240000
Payment Total GBP 366.92

Last edited by babyg_wc; Mar 27, 2021 at 10:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.