Other Airlines with BA yin-yang CW seat?

Old Mar 20, 21, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Other Airlines with BA yin-yang CW seat?

Did any other airlines use the same yin-yang seat that BA is currently replacing?

I ask because I知 pretty sure that the BA-style seat is shown in the TV series The Flight Attendant (on Sky in the UK) on the planes of a fictional airline. Could these be decommissioned BA seats that have been turned in a studio set?

Or was the seat used by multiple airlines?
Old Mar 20, 21, 4:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Not exactly replicating the Club World config, which was patent protected, but United and American had cabin layouts mixing forward and rear facing seats.
Old Mar 20, 21, 5:02 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by fruitcage View Post
Did any other airlines use the same yin-yang seat that BA is currently replacing?

I ask because I知 pretty sure that the BA-style seat is shown in the TV series The Flight Attendant (on Sky in the UK) on the planes of a fictional airline. Could these be decommissioned BA seats that have been turned in a studio set?

Or was the seat used by multiple airlines?
I知 pretty sure BA was the only ones using those exact seats. Shootaviation film services have a cabin set up with BA Club World and First seats. So possibly they were the set?

https://www.shootaviationfilmservice...abin-interior/
Old Mar 20, 21, 5:28 pm

I watched the show today - it's absolutely a BA cabin. Whether it's the Shootaviation one I don't know, but in any case it's not another airline's.
Old Mar 20, 21, 7:23 pm

The particular seat was patented by BA and was exclusively their product so nobody else was able to copy it. At the time it was pretty special. Many will snark these days why would they want to but keeping in mind the seat was of an era where 180 degree flat beds in Business Class was still relatively exclusive, it was a cut above what most international carriers we're offering at the time. Of course we now know that within just a year or two of this seat being rolled out pretty much every airline who wanted to market their Business Class as a cut above was going down the 180 degree flat bed route - be that their own patented design or in most cases off the peg models customised to the customers preferences.
Old Mar 21, 21, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
I watched the show today - it's absolutely a BA cabin. Whether it's the Shootaviation one I don't know, but in any case it's not another airline's.
Glad you agree. The shape of the seat back and the foot rest certainly looked exactly BA to me.
Old Mar 21, 21, 6:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
Originally Posted by fruitcage View Post
Glad you agree. The shape of the seat back and the foot rest certainly looked exactly BA to me.

no question! the dividing screens too. what did throw me off was the edging of the seat back/shells. i think in the show it is metal which just looks weird.
Old Mar 21, 21, 6:52 am

The patent was the only thing stopping other airlines doing the same thing. It was an incredibly efficient use of floor space and for a long time lots of other airlines regretted not being able to match it.
BingBongBoy and ExpatExp like this.
Old Mar 21, 21, 7:21 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I flew AY before their current business class product came out (2015 +/-). I recall my a330 having the same seats as BA, but maybe I remember wrong...
Old Mar 21, 21, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by TBD View Post
I flew AY before their current business class product came out. I recall my a330 having the same seats as BA, but maybe I remember wrong...
AY 330's and 340's had the same seats as the BA midhaul 321's.... which were inherited from the BMI purchase. BMI had secured the seating from parent owner Lufthansa Group and sibling Swiss. The Club World seat offered on BA's mainline worldwide fleet were exclusively theirs - nobody else had it. It'll be interesting to see if any get operated by other airlines in the future with the sale of aircraft fitted with the product.
Old Mar 21, 21, 7:31 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
AY 330's and 340's had the same seats as the BA midhaul 321's.... which were inherited from the BMI purchase. BMI had secured the seating from parent owner Lufthansa Group and sibling Swiss. The Club World seat offered on BA's mainline worldwide fleet were exclusively theirs - nobody else had it. It'll be interesting to see if any get operated by other airlines in the future with the sale of aircraft fitted with the product.
Hm. Ok. I might be mixing it up - I was flying BA a lot at the time ...

Edit: Now that I think about it more ... you're right. I associated it with the BA seating because I remember feeling particularly 'exposed' to the aisle just as you are (in an aisle seat) on the BA cabin.
Old Mar 21, 21, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Of course the Openskies subsidiary of BA also had a similar ying/yang layout of their biz bed seat, albeit a previous generation which was less enclosed and had a cloth fan as the divider between neighbours.
Old Mar 21, 21, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Confus View Post
The patent was the only thing stopping other airlines doing the same thing. It was an incredibly efficient use of floor space and for a long time lots of other airlines regretted not being able to match it.

agreed! united tried with the same amount of floor space but it turned out what i view as one of the dumbest looking business products! sure the width was the same as BA yin yang but at the cost of any type of privacy!

Old Mar 21, 21, 8:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
Of course the Openskies subsidiary of BA also had a similar ying/yang layout of their biz bed seat, albeit a previous generation which was less enclosed and had a cloth fan as the divider between neighbours.
Yes so the openskies J seats were the original CW ying-yang seats re-upholstered from the normal blue - the original blue version remained on the BA long haul config 767s up to when they were retired

Old Mar 21, 21, 8:33 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
agreed! united tried with the same amount of floor space but it turned out what i view as one of the dumbest looking business products! sure the width was the same as BA yin yang but at the cost of any type of privacy!
What is more interesting is United kept adverstising and selling these J seats as 'Polaris'......

The only thing it was 'Polaris' was the service....
VSLover likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: