Quick Question re Cancelled Flight

Old Mar 18, 21, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Quick Question re Cancelled Flight

We're due to fly EDI - LHR - ORD in September but our first flight has been cancelled and we've been put on a later flight. That'll only give us 1 hr 5 mins at LHR and we think that might be a bit tight.

If we call BA and arrange to fly down to LHR the night before will we still be able to check our luggage right through, or will we have to pick it up at LHR when we arrive?

Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 21, 8:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Yes, you can check it the night before. There are a few threads on the topic. Here's one:

Night Before Bag Check T5
Mikey07 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 21, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Brilliant, thank you.
Old Mar 18, 21, 9:22 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Mikey07 View Post
We're due to fly EDI - LHR - ORD in September but our first flight has been cancelled and we've been put on a later flight. That'll only give us 1 hr 5 mins at LHR and we think that might be a bit tight.

If we call BA and arrange to fly down to LHR the night before will we still be able to check our luggage right through, or will we have to pick it up at LHR when we arrive?

Thanks.
Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for LHR is 1 hour. So you should be fine for this, unless of course you wanted to indulge in the lounge.

The Hatton Cross / T4 Hilton Garden Inn is a decent and cheap hotel for an overnight, only 15/20 mins door to door from Hotel to T5 Check in.
Old Mar 18, 21, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would hold off on this until August or thereabouts.

There are likely to be many more changes between now and September, both to the xEDI and xLHR segments. Perhaps the 1:05 will become 3:00 and perhaps it will drop to 0:30. If you want to arrange the overnight solely because you want the night, that is fine. But, I would consider schedules purely notional at more than 30 days out.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 21, 21, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
As a Chicago resident let me say the the ORD flights keep changing, so do, indeed, wait to make changes!
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 4:02 am

Programs: TK Elite
Absolutely, no reason to rebook September flights now. Wait for further schedule changes.

Anyway, if the schedule sticks you should be fine with a 1h5min connection. Nothing to worry about (and I would def. not arrange for a LHR over night stay despite the hotel rates being very reasonable)
Old Mar 22, 21, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
provided is less than 24 hours then yes the bags can overnight at LHR.

1 !hr 5 mins is fine for a connection from a domestic flight at LHR. You have no security to go through, Boarding pass check and then up the escalator to the north end of the terminal.

With the reduced traffic into heathrow chances are your inbound will be about 15 minutes early (I think my best from GLA is 25 minutes early when we took off on time and had no hold into LHR)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: