Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

August 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

August 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
They just whacked our return on LHR-SAN on 8/8 after already having killed the outbound on 7/15. Was able to get AMEX to rebook us on AA via DFW (trip is RT CDG), now for the second time.

No email from BA or AMEX either time, so watch bookings like a hawk.
​​​​​
Were you originally booked on 001- AA stock.
If so, it's pretty normal that you didn't get a cancellation/schedule change e-mail.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 4:53 am

Programs: Miles and More, BAEC , QR Privilege, Oman Sindbad, Tufty Club.
Originally Posted by SEW247
are you trying to fly LHR - YVR? If so, what is the earliest date you can see availability on?

we are in Canada trying to come home. Our YVR-LHR flight on 25/08 is now cancelled. Looks like only option is to go back to Toronto and go from there.
First LHR-YVR selling is Mon 30/8. We are now rebooked 2/9 but not even taking a breath let alone holding it.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
716/717 ZUR rotation has dropped out of the schedule on 18/8 and 22/8. Yet to receive confirmation of flights cancelled but its certainly not bookable now.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by editionsofyou
YVR flight on 26/8 cancelled as of yesterday. Nothing to YVR now until 30/8.
I had YVR-ATH booked through AA for August 3 and BA is showing the flight is cancelled, but AA hasnt updated schedule and says the fight is still operating. Despite two calls, agent says any changes will result in fare difference. Tried BA but they told me AA had to make the change.

Any idea when AA might be notified of the cancellation?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SOWK
I had YVR-ATH booked through AA for August 3 and BA is showing the flight is cancelled, but AA hasnt updated schedule and says the fight is still operating. Despite two calls, agent says any changes will result in fare difference. Tried BA but they told me AA had to make the change.

From experience it can take anything up to about a week to filter through to AAs systems. Frustrating, but nothing you can do to hurry it along.
SOWK likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SOWK

It usually takes 2-3 days for AA to catch up with BA cancellations.
Until the AA system shows the BA flights as cancelled, your changes would not be considered as involuntary so the agents were right.
Also, you have booked with AA so you have to deal with AA. BA has nothing to do here.
SOWK and Nephoi like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Were you originally booked on 001- AA stock.
If so, it's pretty normal that you didn't get a cancellation/schedule change e-mail.
BA stock
Old Jul 4, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
My JFK-LHR-JNB continuing on 4Z to LUN shows cancelled and after Tues hopefully can connect with tour operator to see if BA will reroute me on QR which now flies JFK-DOH-LUN. Hopefully BA will honor getting me to Lusaka.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
BA215 to BOS changed to a 787-1 with clubsuite.

Hoping this stays!
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Our BNA flights for the last part of August have been canned. No surprise there. Now it's crystal ball time as to whether we think it's worth moving it to October half term or whether we'd better wait until Christmas. We will have 3 2 year olds, so the direct flight is all we want to consider really. Having family coming from all round the US reschedule for a second time would be far from ideal.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Our BNA flights for the last part of August have been canned. No surprise there. Now it's crystal ball time as to whether we think it's worth moving it to October half term or whether we'd better wait until Christmas. We will have 3 2 year olds, so the direct flight is all we want to consider really. Having family coming from all round the US reschedule for a second time would be far from ideal.
We can speculate all we like but the reality is no-one here knows when the US will open up again.

Clearly Christmas would be a safer bet than October but even thats not guaranteed.

And its possible that, once the Presidential proclamation is lifted, BA ramps up its US operations gradually and prioritises increasing frequency to key cities over restarting direct flights to secondary destinations like BNA.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
And its possible that, once the Presidential proclamation is lifted, BA ramps up its US operations gradually and prioritises increasing frequency to key cities over restarting direct flights to secondary destinations like BNA.
Exactly, the schedule would increase gradually and the pre-COVID frequencies wouldn't be at place at the first stage.

CHS, PIT and PDX were trimmed entirely.
IMO; BWI, BNA, MSY, SAN, SJC would be the last routes to be restarted if they ever resume.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Exactly, the schedule would increase gradually and the pre-COVID frequencies wouldn't be at place at the first stage.

CHS, PIT and PDX were trimmed entirely.
IMO; BWI, BNA, MSY, SAN, SJC would be the last routes to be restarted if they ever resume.
Interesting view. I am of the opposite opinion, I think leisure travel will recover much more quickly than business travel and that 8-10 flights a day to JFK might never be seen again. Secondary cities with the 787 and LGW 777s were a huge success prior to COVID and I think they will be after. The short haul network looks different today than in 2019, with much lower frequency but quite a few new leisure or "LGW" destinations. Overall I think the BA route map will look broadly similar, but the frequency will be down.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
We can speculate all we like but the reality is no-one here knows when the US will open up again.

Clearly Christmas would be a safer bet than October but even thats not guaranteed.

Indeed - it could well be the spring, if ever. I was fairly surpirsed they were selling it in the first place, but so far they have only cancelled up to the end of August as per the other routes. Had it just been the two of us, routing via ORD would have been done by now but we'd ideally like to hold out for the direct flight and old CW. Other option would be FTV/refund and book DEN in WTP (Club Suites won't work for us).
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Interesting view. I am of the opposite opinion, I think leisure travel will recover much more quickly than business travel and that 8-10 flights a day to JFK might never be seen again. Secondary cities with the 787 and LGW 777s were a huge success prior to COVID and I think they will be after. The short haul network looks different today than in 2019, with much lower frequency but quite a few new leisure or "LGW" destinations. Overall I think the BA route map will look broadly similar, but the frequency will be down.
That is a good point. And the 787 made those routes possible. I'm led to believe that BNA and MSY are both leisure-heavy (not really a surprise), so I guess it depends on what leisure appetite would be like - assuming restrictions are lifted. I would imagine they'd have to be relaxed fairly soon, as especially for long haul a lot of leisure pax book further in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.