Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only seeing 2 of my AA flights on BA Booking

Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold

I've just booked a trip to the US in October, and while it's all been booked and ticketed by BA, 4 of the flights (JFK-SFO, SFO-LAX and their returns) are on AA. Everything shows correctly in manage my booking with BA, but when I want to change my seat allocations on the AA flights, it takes me to the AA website where I am only seeing 2 flights in total, one of which is the BA flight from LHR and then the first transcon from JFK to SFO. I was able to change the seat allocation for that transcon, but while I should be able to access the other 3 AA flights to amend seat selection, I have no visibility of them to do so. I've checked in MMB and the same AA booking ref is listed by BA for all 4 of the AA flights (as well as the BA PNR). Is this an issue, or something that just hasn't populated yet (flights were booked yesterday afternoon).
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Fairly common. There is likely to be a second PNR for the booking for these AA flights. One easy way of resolving this is to send a message on twitter to AA. They are usually fairly swift at responding and giving you the other PNR.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
me and the concept of PNRs are very good friends.
you'll get several PNRs for your booking.

one BA PNR
one AA PNR
one PNR for AA operated but BA coded flights
sometimes you'll get different operating PNRs for out- and inbound.

it gets funny when there is even a third airline (e.g. Iberia) involved. I once had a tier point run with
1. a BA operated BA flight
2. a BA operated AY flight
3. an AA operated BA flight
4. an AA operated AA flight
5. an BA operated IB flight

that's funny - and leads to the case that you can't checkin online cause the system won't let you. at least in my case
Old Mar 16, 2021, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
Fairly common. There is likely to be a second PNR for the booking for these AA flights. One easy way of resolving this is to send a message on twitter to AA. They are usually fairly swift at responding and giving you the other PNR.
You were bang-on with your advice. Tweeted to AA, and within about 15 mins they had found my other AA PNR, so now i have access to everything I need. One of the many reasons I love FlyerTalk :-).
Old Mar 16, 2021, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
When you go to BA.com and then try a seat change it will "export" you to AA where you can then get their reference number. You can add this to the AA App and choose seats etc easily through this
SxMan and Joeykins like this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Indeed, this situation is completely normal. The system would only show the partner flights before & after BA marketed or BA operated flights if the ticket is booked by another airline ( in this case: AA )
Old Mar 16, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i'd also suggest keeping an eye on the transcon flights because AA does not always send automated notifications that your flights have been cancelled.

there is still a big question mark over what the schedule will look like and even then AA has only been updating their schedules about 2 months out from your flight. but hopefully by then they will have much more frequency, i think summer will indicate the shape of things to come.

but its the "stealth" cancellation thats important to have the AA PNR so you can keep track of your AA flights and see when one has been dropped or changed significantly.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover
i'd also suggest keeping an eye on the transcon flights because AA does not always send automated notifications that your flights have been cancelled.
Good to know and thanks for the advice. As this is all booked on a BA ticket, wouldn't they have responsibility for informing me (and rerouting me) for any flight changes or cancellations? I've registered for an account with AA (to use their app) and have both the AA PNRs noted in it now so at least I can still manually check on flight status nearer the time :-).
Old Mar 17, 2021, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by efincomputer
Good to know and thanks for the advice. As this is all booked on a BA ticket, wouldn't they have responsibility for informing me (and rerouting me) for any flight changes or cancellations? I've registered for an account with AA (to use their app) and have both the AA PNRs noted in it now so at least I can still manually check on flight status nearer the time :-).
You don't have to register with AA to use their App, there is a guest login, using locator and surname, which works well if you are essentially BAEC based. You are probably right in terms of responsibility, but due the very elderly interface between SABRE and Amadeus, you are best off taking on that responsibility for yourself.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by efincomputer
well i have had a few different scenarios:

(1) BA ticket, AA JFK-SFO disappeared from MMB on BA.com and when I looked on AA.com, it was gone because it was removed from schedule, no alternative on AA automatically re-booked so called to rebook. This has happened twice.

(2) AA ticket, BA flight segment cancelled and auto booked onto flight that arrived later than the next departing flight on my ticket. Notified by BA even though it was an AA ticket.

(3) plenty of JFK-LAX/SFO flights that were booked on AA.com directly then vanish...usually without notice to me.

So it just seems AA doesnt do well with notices at least on flights many months out, but it has always been very easy to book on the next one, so thats the only reason I say to keep an eye on it because something weird could happen but it will at least offer you an out if you want to cancel your trip later! But I'd feel pretty confident by September.
efincomputer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.