Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19: British Airways plans app-based travel pass

Old Mar 14, 21, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56392570

... but no details of how it would be validated... and whether it would really mean anything...
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 14, 21, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC
I just read this, it says very little. But from what read itís going to be integrated into the BA app.

Perhaps itís a partnership with that other app / business that was trialling Covid vaccine/testing proof. I forgot the name of it!
Old Mar 14, 21, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
i can think the only real benefit of this would be speeding up those necessary checks that are now all manual at check in.

so if this eases the entire process for the BA staff on the ground, and resulting in shorter queues at the airports, then great.
Old Mar 14, 21, 7:57 am

I think they should let experts develop apps.
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Nephoi View Post
I think they should let experts develop apps.
Certainly don’t let BA’s IT department anywhere near it, please! Just please make it compatible with Tablets as well as Smartphones.

However, I welcome the concept. Anything that makes travel easier and safer benefits millions of people, whilst also helping BA.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 14, 21 at 8:06 am Reason: typoo
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
i can think the only real benefit of this would be speeding up those necessary checks that are now all manual at check in.

so if this eases the entire process for the BA staff on the ground, and resulting in shorter queues at the airports, then great.
The issues are on arrival. We're one year in this pandemic and we've still got countries dishing out paper modules... Or, in the case of the UK, they've gone digital but haven't yet quite figured out a way to create a QR code that can be scan by a reader to check that one has filled the PLF, has a test and so on.
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many carriers & jurisdictions are looking at these "passports." They are a great idea in theory. But, in practice, they fail for lack of coordination and compromise.

Not sure that it is helpful to develop an app which works for LHR departures but not for other (at least major) stations around the world. Remember that we still have many jurisdictions which insist on paper visas or visas stamped into passports and, in fact, passport books themselves are vastly outdated and ought to be replaced by digital.

Maybe this is the start of something good, but it will take a long time and the advice will always be to have paper copies of everything in hand no matter what.
Old Mar 14, 21, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
" passport books themselves are vastly outdated and ought to be replaced by digital."

I have walked over land borders where this isn't going to happen in the next few decades. In Zimbabwe the power isn't consistently on. I don;'t think the rubber stamps are going to be retired in the quieter Cambodia border posts either.
Gastrocnemius and James91 like this.
Old Mar 14, 21, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by wyddfa View Post
" passport books themselves are vastly outdated and ought to be replaced by digital."

I have walked over land borders where this isn't going to happen in the next few decades. In Zimbabwe the power isn't consistently on. I don;'t think the rubber stamps are going to be retired in the quieter Cambodia border posts either.
Or the Tajikistan-Kyrgyzstan border post where the computers, on the Tajik side, were out of action and the big registry book could be kept open by using an AK-74 as paperweight...

Paper doesn't run low on battery, doesn't need reception, can't be hacked, doesn't crack if you drop it and, unlike phones, isn't likely to be nicked because it's the super-duper latest model from Cupertino.
Old Mar 14, 21, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
PaperÖ can't be hackedÖ
I've heard some people saying they prefer paper-based vaccine proof, as it's easier to forge (i.e. hack)
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 14, 21, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp View Post
I've heard some people saying they prefer paper-based vaccine proof, as it's easier to forge (i.e. hack)
Well, the conversation in this specific point was about passports....
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 21, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by wyddfa View Post

Yes, that is the definition of "outdated."

It is also why passports are stamped in on entry to Schengen and then out on exit. Too many entry points with no connectivity to a centtral database.
Old Mar 14, 21, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Isnít this just basically a way of getting ready to fly status via the app? So presumably itíll be moving to a self certification system.

I donít know whether you will (say) need to photograph and upload your test certificate or vaccination slip which means you then donít have to visit a desk and can do as before and go straight through.

Or if they want to check, presumably you could have to upload it x days before travel (has to be fairly proximate though as 72-96 hours seems to be standard for a negative pcr result) and that then generates a workflow for a back office team to check it and mark you as ready to fly. Un-used staff could do the check remotely! Anyone with a fail (ie poor photo or something missing) still to visit a doc check desk. Will be interesting to see.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Mar 14, 21 at 3:02 pm
Old Mar 14, 21, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
So passengers without smartphones or with smartphones without power or the wrong operating system are not allowed to fly in the near future. I do not think this will become reality soon.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 21, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Well, the conversation in this specific point was about passports....
To me, it certainly seems that any kind of passport, vaccine passport, or other kind of paper document could be forged, just like any electronic version of any document could in theory be hacked. I think it just depends on the amount of effort someone wants to make. I would imagine that some people find paper documents easier to forge, and some people find electronic documents easier to hack.

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
Isnít this just basically a way of getting ready to fly status via the app?
Yes, I wonder the sameÖ

Search this Thread
Search Engine: