Wiki Posts
Search

"The" Concorde

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
"The" Concorde

Hi everyone, I know that in British English, Concorde is used without article. Is that true for American English, too? I'm currently writing a text (originally in German) about Concorde, and my (American) translator told me that in the US, it's commonly called "the Concorde". Would be thankful if someone could confirm that... I did find some articles (New York Times, CNN...) which use the article, but then, it could well be that the journalists just didn't know better.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:35 am

No article or the indefinite article. Air France had six operational aircraft and British Airways had seven. Plus the prototypes.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:41 am

US english does tend to use the article. It sounds odd, but it is normal in America.

British english, Concorde.
This said I think it is the only aricraft without an article. I've never heard 'I flew on Trident to Paris...' So actually American english is being consistant, if lacking in class!
IBJoel and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC
US english does tend to use the article. It sounds odd, but it is normal in America.

British english, Concorde.
This said I think it is the only aricraft without an article. I've never heard 'I flew on Trident to Paris...' So actually American english is being consistant, if lacking in class!
But the indefinite article is perfectly acceptable in British English too. "I flew on a Concorde to New York. I flew on a Trident to Paris."
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Dave_C
But the indefinite article is perfectly acceptable in British English too. "I flew on a Concorde to New York. I flew on a Trident to Paris."
But then no-one would say "I flew on the Trident to Paris". Oddly I think people DO say "the Concorde" in England. It's really short for "the Concorde service", like saying you took THE train to the airport.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No article or the indefinite article. Air France had six operational aircraft and British Airways had seven. Plus the prototypes.
Disagree. Americans would definitely say "THE Concorde."

Here too, Americans would tend to say "I flew on THE Concorde to New York" (even though there were more than one of them).
clkc86 and IBJoel like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bear96

Here too, Americans would tend to say "I flew on THE Concorde to New York" (even though there were more than one of them).
Another thing I noticed they say in the US is adding "the" to airport names. For example "I'm going to the New Orleans Airport later."
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:20 am

Definitely with article in the USA. There were twenty Concordes, so a lack of an article simply does not make sense in American English. In fact most people would probably go with the indefinite 'a' over the definite 'the' because there were more than one, but this would be affected by the context, as well. The would be referring to the category of airplane, while a would be for a be inferring a single member of that category. A proper name (sans article) would be alluding to one specific item/object/person/etc. If there was one specific Concorde that was named 'Concorde,' you could get away with omitting the 'the', but even then, 'the' still works perfectly well as a definite article and would probably be the preferred option.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by downinit
There were twenty Concordes, so a lack of an article simply does not make sense ...
Looking at this from a different angle, does ‘Concorde’ refer to a specific airframe, or does it refer to a wider concept of brand and service ?

See also ‘Eurostar’, for example.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:53 am

I see lots of English writing by overseas students and articles appear frequently where a native speaker (writer) would never use them. They are probably writing American English rather the proper English.

Maybe the ancient brits used that form and when taken to America by The Mayflower it persisted while here the usage died out?
kanderson1965 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Looking at this from a different angle, does ‘Concorde’ refer to a specific airframe, or does it refer to a wider concept of brand and service ?

See also ‘Eurostar’, for example.
I see it as this.

I flew Concorde to Barbados
I flew First Class to New York
I flew Club Europe to Paris

None of the above applied to me personally unfortunately but in the product and branding sense they are all correct.
Keystone and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by Bear96
Disagree. Americans would definitely say "THE Concorde."

As someone who flew on Concorde, I don't think I ever used the phrase "the Concorde" - I would guess that more Americans would not use "the" in front of Concorde, but maybe it varies by region?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
It's something only pedants care about, frankly.
Skimo, TravelerMSY and ExpatExp like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
americans would def say THE concorde.

probably because they began their journey in THE concorde room.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I see lots of English writing by overseas students and articles appear frequently where a native speaker (writer) would never use them. They are probably writing American English rather the proper English.

Maybe the ancient brits used that form and when taken to America by The Mayflower it persisted while here the usage died out?
My understanding is that quite a few "Americanisms" are britishisms that came over before the revolution and didn't die out (and evolved somewhat). Others are due to influence of various other languages of immigrants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.