Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"The" Concorde

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
An interesting thread to read on a Friday while troubleshooting network problems

I definitely agree about the interstates. Here in Las Vegas and certainly in LA the "I-" is not mentioned. So I'd take the 215 to the 15 and then the 58 etc. My friends in Chicago don't use the I- either, referring to roads as the Kennedy Expressway or whatever.

When I take the train here in the US then it's "I took Amtrak" or "I'm taking Amtrak" but definitely not "the Amtrak" as that just sounds wrong. As Oxon Flyer said above, it's more a statement of the brand than a specific train / locomotive. With Eurostar I'd probably say I'm taking the Eurostar to Brussels / London etc. Same with travelling between Brussels and Paris where I'd take the Thalys. When back in Newcastle it would be the Metro (assuming it was actually running, otherwise it'd be a bus) although Nexus refers to it just as Metro.

With Concorde it would just be Concorde.

Isn't language / grammar fun?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Geordie405
An interesting thread to read on a Friday while troubleshooting network problems

I definitely agree about the interstates. Here in Las Vegas and certainly in LA the "I-" is not mentioned. So I'd take the 215 to the 15 and then the 58 etc. My friends in Chicago don't use the I- either, referring to roads as the Kennedy Expressway or whatever.

When I take the train here in the US then it's "I took Amtrak" or "I'm taking Amtrak" but definitely not "the Amtrak" as that just sounds wrong. As Oxon Flyer said above, it's more a statement of the brand than a specific train / locomotive. With Eurostar I'd probably say I'm taking the Eurostar to Brussels / London etc. Same with travelling between Brussels and Paris where I'd take the Thalys. When back in Newcastle it would be the Metro (assuming it was actually running, otherwise it'd be a bus) although Nexus refers to it just as Metro.

With Concorde it would just be Concorde.

Isn't language / grammar fun?
ALL CORRECT
but what brand is more BRAND than Concorde in the airline industry?
also, depends on whom you’re talking/writing too
to an executive colleague, it would sound proper to say ‘i am taking Concorde to get to the meeting tomorrow’, whereas to an acquaintance that you want to leave green with envy (a la Hyacinth Bucket) you’d be saying ‘we’re just flying back with THE Concorde-have my personal mail forwarded to THE Concorde room...’
Old Mar 13, 2021, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
This probably bugs everyone else in the couintry
About as much as your unfixed typo bugs me!

rb211.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by downinit
Definitely with article in the USA. There were twenty Concordes, so a lack of an article simply does not make sense in American English.
Although I did fly in Concorde, there is no Article in my flight history. Very jealous of James May.

Last edited by ExpatExp; Mar 14, 2021 at 5:21 pm
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:39 am

Have Air France continued to use the Concorde brand is the same way BA has (in terms of its premium routes, reference to its heritage, or continued merchandising etc)? Or is it a particularly British opportunitiy for history and prestige?
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Have Air France continued to use the Concorde brand is the same way BA has (in terms of its premium routes, reference to its heritage, or continued merchandising etc)? Or is it a particularly British opportunitiy for history and prestige?
I don't think so. Probably because it was one of theirs that crashed.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GBOAC
no, but they have done a great job of branding their entire la premiere experience beyond calling it just "first"
Old Mar 14, 2021, 3:41 pm

But is it “the Concorde” or “The Concorde” ?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 8:01 am

Out of interest, is there any writing anywhere about crews favourite Concorde aircraft? To twist the original question, which of the fleet could be regarded at THE Concorde, in terms of performance, reliability etc etc.?

I know there were differences between the BA fleet, including 214 and 216 having different battery systems than that in the machines ordered by BA (the last two were white tails). Similarly 204 was, as the first proper production aircraft, slightly heavier and therefore seldom used on Barbados due to loading tradoffs at the limit of range. G-BOAD was the transatlantic record holder and also used in the 2002 Queens Jubilee flypast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.