Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Codeshare and BA Ticket but AA operated - Status Benefits?

Old Mar 9, 21, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium

Hello All,

I am quite rusty at all this and not sure what the rules are any more.

I am traveling in Premium Economy on an AA aircraft, on a BA ticket and booked as a BA flight number/codeshare.

AA premium economy baggage allowance is 2 x 23kg bags.

Do I get any baggage benefits on AA?

Many Thanks,

Old Mar 9, 21, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
Hello All,

I am quite rusty at all this and not sure what the rules are any more.

I am traveling in Premium Economy on an AA aircraft, on a BA ticket and booked as a BA flight number/codeshare.

AA premium economy baggage allowance is 2 x 23kg bags.

Do I get any baggage benefits on AA?

Many Thanks,

The checked-in allowance will be as per what BA's ticketed you with. BA's usual standard baggage allowance for non-status Premium Economy is 2 x 23kg (which is the same as AA's policy in this case). This is what your luggage allowance will be. Hand baggage allowance will be as per the operating carrier's policies.

If you are BA Gold/Oneworld Emerald, the allowance will be 3 bags. Hope that helps. (The status extra allowances are slightly different if you were to be travelling on a BA operated flight)
BingBongBoy likes this.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Mar 9, 21 at 7:43 am
Old Mar 9, 21, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lovely. Ta.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 21, 8:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you are still Silver, it is 32 kgs maxima per checked bag.
Old Mar 9, 21, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
On an AA operated flight?

Yes, still silver too.
Old Mar 9, 21, 11:09 am

Are you sure this definitely the case for an AA operated flight though which is what OP is asking about? 🤔 I know if OP was flying BA then yes, youíre right for sure...
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 21, 11:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Bingy said it was BA codeshared, so BA marketed, so BA's limits apply. AA's own marketed services would allow 32 kgs if Emerald, but not Sapphire.
Old Mar 9, 21, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
On an AA operated flight?
Yes, still silver too.
Oneworld has status benefits on all OW airlines.
The ticket will show the bag allowance. Extra (not free) baggage is the most often asked question.
Some airlines may offer more than the minimum OW benefits to there own frequent flyers

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits (go down the page)
Old Mar 9, 21, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presumably this is a flight to/from the US. In that case, US law requires that the e-ticket receipt specify the baggage allowance. More importantly, the AA check-in agent will see that allowance when the bags are dropped.

Thus, the question to OP is what the e-ticket receipt shows.
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 21, 4:40 pm

Bingy said it was BA codeshared, so BA marketed, so BA's limits apply. AA's own marketed services would allow 32 kgs if Emerald, but not Sapphire.
Yes BAís limits apply for the main ticketed luggage allowance I agree, but isnít how much extra baggage allowance is permitted via status as well as hand baggage allowance based on operating carrierís policies, in which case itíll be AAís status policies here?

Also as per this: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp it appears the 32kg limit only comes into question for First/Business class tickets (which the OP isnít in this case even if we were to assume they were flying on an AA marketed ticket!). Other than additional pieces for Sapphire/Emerald when flying anything less than business, I understand it to be 23kg bag size (unless to Aus/NZ) and additional pieces of 23kg based on status. Happy to be corrected.
BingBongBoy likes this.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Mar 9, 21 at 4:53 pm
Old Mar 9, 21, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, BA1544 code shared on AA metal from LHR to ORD booked on BA ticket stock 125-

I don't have an eTicket receipt as it is booked through our corporate TA.

I also have a connecting flight on an AA flight, on AA metal (no code share, but all one ticket) on to ATW.

The agent did say to me when it was booked that it was a through ticket so my allowance will count for both flights. I took that to mean the 2 bag allowance, but not sure about the weight. Not much info on BA.com.
Old Mar 9, 21, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ok... MMB on ba.com has changed. Maybe just slow to update...

Now showing 2 checked bags at 32kg each for LHR-ORD, but does state that I "may" need to pay a heavy bag charge for the ORD-ATW flight.

I imagine AA will be quite happy taking money off me, so will be prepared to shell out
Old Mar 9, 21, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is simply standard language and not particularly applicable to your e-ticket presuming that you are connecting at ORD and flying onwards to ATW. If that is the case, your bag will be checked through to ATW at LHR. You will collect it for CBP processing at ORD and then drop it off with AA after CBP. But, there will not be any additional fees.

If not a connection, then the AA domestic bag overweight fee is $100 per bag.

Incidentally, your TA ought to be able to generate and have emailed an e-ticket receipt compliant with US law.
Old Mar 10, 21, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350 View Post
Yes BA’s limits apply for the main ticketed luggage allowance I agree, but isn’t how much extra baggage allowance is permitted via status as well as hand baggage allowance based on operating carrier’s policies, in which case it’ll be AA’s status policies here?
As a general point, when flying across airlines, then yes, the operating airline counts, and the 32 kgs limit is an awkward one since BA (and IB) handle it in a non straightforward way - the standard limit is 23 kgs but there is no charge for 32 kgs if Silver/Gold. AA is a bit more straightforward, it's a limit of 32 kgs for Emeralds / Business / etc. However BA codeshares, unlike some other codershares arrangements within other airlines, are a bit different in that broadly speaking on BA marketed fares,BA hard allowances applies to things like baggage. Soft benefits such as lounge access are oneworld standard, on the whole, there are a few wrinkles over things like fast track security, though of course that won't be a problem at LHR T5. At Emerald level it's less obvious an issue, since AA and BA aligns better, but we see this more on things like Aer Lingus and sometimes Qatar, where the gap from the operator's limits and BA's limits can be enormous.

The fact that Bingy's MMB changed slowly to show 32 kgs was revealing: it took a while for a TA booking to be updated with his super Silver status. The robots first set up the number of pieces, two here, then attributes to the booking the usual weight limiit, 23 kgs. Then comes the frequent flyer number, that gets validated, and eventually the robot says 32 kgs. So it follows the process that one would expect given the booking channnel, for BA.com you would normally be in the Silver part of the portal when you make the booking, so this logic is washed over too quickly to spot.

I agree it is a confusing area, but happily Bingy doesn't have to rely on the say-so of CWS, he now has a piece of virtual paper which confirms 32 kgs, the agent will see something similar (particularly if he checks in at T5) and so there will be no issue. He always prints everything out anyway, from my recollection.. Goodness knows why people would need to take the kitchen sink to the USA, they do have them over there. For the onward service to Appleton, Wisconsin, he would still get the 32 kgs for a number of reasons, but the biggest is that this limit would be already in the system from the trans Atlantic sector.
AirbusA350 and BingBongBoy like this.
Old Mar 10, 21, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I agree it is a confusing area, but happily Bingy doesn't have to rely on the say-so of CWS, he now has a piece of virtual paper which confirms 32 kgs, the agent will see something similar (particularly if he checks in at T5) and so there will be no issue. He always prints everything out anyway, from my recollection.. Goodness knows why people would need to take the kitchen sink to the USA, they do have them over there. For the onward service to Appleton, Wisconsin, he would still get the 32 kgs for a number of reasons, but the biggest is that this limit would be already in the system from the trans Atlantic sector.
Thank you all very much for all of the information and pointers helping me get to the bottom of all this. And, yes, thankfully now I have that bit of paper that I do, indeed always print, and seeing as that, at the moment, I need many bits of paper to travel, its just one more little thing.

As for the kitchen sink being taken... Well, sadly, the US is not the best place to buy many of the brands that my principal wants on the jet, many of which come from Europe and I would be paying a lot to have shipped to the US, so, it makes sense for me to get them here and take them with me... Plus, when I am at work, I work a minimum of 4 weeks away, so a sink is definitely needed for that... Thankfully, on this occasion, the second sink is a little lesser than I thought. Will still be over the 23kg, but not quite up to the max...

Many thanks again everyone
our_kid and Cris L like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: