Wiki Posts
Search

Outbound cancelled, but not the return

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Outbound cancelled, but not the return

Informed today that Avios outbound on 9th May is cancelled, but return 7th June still ok (ie after magic 17th May), but on a separate booking. Do I have the right to refund the return as a separate booking, how would BA expect us to return if taken away the means to get there ?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:57 am

Separate booking = BA won't know it's your return. As far as the airline is concerned, you might be living in the place you're trying to fly out from.

The best solution is to wait and see in my view.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
They are separate bookings so there is no link between the two unfortunately. This is one of the things you need to consider when making separate booking rather than doing it as one return.

I would just sit on the June booking, it may be you get a cancellation in due course by June anyway. If not, an FTV would be possible.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No.

Take an FTV nearer the time or move for free as there are no fees moving Reward Flights
Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
No.

Take an FTV nearer the time or move for free as there are no fees moving Reward Flights
No fee for moving a Reward flight sir ? I expected £35 each, but will accept the FTV.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Under Book with Confidence, no change fees, only fare differences - so with a £17.50 / £35 Reward Flight there is no fee to change
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:54 am

This past November, BA’ s cancellation of my outbound Avios flight resulted in a full refund of the inbound Avios flight (at my request), no fees charged, although the two flights were separate bookings.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Under Book with Confidence, no change fees, only fare differences - so with a £17.50 / £35 Reward Flight there is no fee to change
I am confused. I voluntarily cancelled a Jan 2021 to India, booked Feb 2020 but BA cancelled in Aug 2020 and I changed the booking to another day, was told cancel is £35 each. I claimed Book With Confidence (although unsure exactly where I stood timing-wise), nice agent saidstill £35 ea as the flight was operating. I claimed illegal to travel, also no visas being issued, still charged. Was I done?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by 'andad
I am confused. I voluntarily cancelled a Jan 2021 to India, booked Feb 2020 but BA cancelled in Aug 2020 and I changed the booking to another day, was told cancel is £35 each. I claimed Book With Confidence (although unsure exactly where I stood timing-wise), nice agent saidstill £35 ea as the flight was operating. I claimed illegal to travel, also no visas being issued, still charged. Was I done?
If you want to voluntarily cancel an avios booking and redeposit the avios then £35 is correct (£35 is the avios redeposit fee). If you are merely changing the date of an avios booking then there is no change fee.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Your post is confusing. You say BA cancelled in Aug 2020. That should have entitled you to get a full refund for free - no cancellation fee payable. Or change to another flight at your convenience, again for free.

You then mention that "nice agent saidstill £35 ea as the flight was operating". Is this the rescheduled flight you changed to? If you then decided to cancel this new flight then you would be charged £35 as I think the free change under BWC is only applicable one time.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Informed today that Avios outbound on 9th May is cancelled, but return 7th June still ok (ie after magic 17th May), but on a separate booking. Do I have the right to refund the return as a separate booking, how would BA expect us to return if taken away the means to get there ?
You have two one way tickets totally unrelated booking wise so any fees for the June booking would be applicable.

You *might* get an agent willing to do free of charge but don’t expect it. Other option is to wait and see if June flight is cancelled to take advantage of free change or take the booking as an FTV.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJA_
Your post is confusing. You say BA cancelled in Aug 2020. That should have entitled you to get a full refund for free - no cancellation fee payable. Or change to another flight at your convenience, again for free.

You then mention that "nice agent saidstill £35 ea as the flight was operating". Is this the rescheduled flight you changed to? If you then decided to cancel this new flight then you would be charged £35 as I think the free change under BWC is only applicable one time.
You deciphered my post well, thanks. It was the "changed to" flight that I had to cancel in Jan, so I was charged correctly. Whilst I realise the pain BA has suffered, it was actually illegal to travel in Jan so slightly surprised there was a penalty, & BA had had £1170 of my cash for a year. Small beer in the overall problems we have all had since Covid.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rule is simple.

If BA cancels, you are entitled to a full refund if that is what you wish.

If you cancel, then you are entitled to whatever the fare rules provide (as modified by BA's pandemic policy).

Whether it is legal for the passenger to travel has no impact on who bears the loss if the travel cannot occur.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
It may not have been legal for you to fly in January, but it wasn't illegal for everyone - exemptions did/do apply.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If you want to voluntarily cancel an avios booking and redeposit the avios then £35 is correct (£35 is the avios redeposit fee). If you are merely changing the date of an avios booking then there is no change fee.
Is that also true for an avios booking on a partner airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.