Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

KUL Cancelled. Is an External Connection in SIN ok

Old Mar 8, 21, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi

ive basically given up on my cancelled 50% 241 redemption flights LHR KUL as I canít travel until after the ticket expires.
I was wondering about booking to Singapore but going on to KUL. As I would like to use my 241 voucher I donít think I can book a BA flight to KUL which has a stop/connection using a partner (like Qatar).
So I guess my only option is to effectively check out at SIN then check back in to a separate flight to KUL on another carrier?

Please can someone far more knowledgable help me understand my options? Is the above correct and if so, how doable is this in terms of timings and terminals etc. It might be too much of a hassle after a long and boozy flight.
Is there a better way to do this somehow??

thanks in advance!
Old Mar 8, 21, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A 241 canít be a connecting ticket other than from BA within UK and then onwards long haul all on BA metal. You will need to book separate tickets.
Old Mar 8, 21, 3:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you are sticking close to the original travel dates, you can be rebooked on to MH from LHR-KUL. Otherwise you could go to SIN under the 300 mile rule and buy a separate ticket to KUL for your own account. The implications of this, logistically, depend on when you intend to travel, and the further away that is, the less certain the arrangements. Beware maybe bookings and maybe rebookings, but you can always claim a refund and wait for a similar future deal.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 8, 21, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Fairly straightforward to get from SIN to KUL on a local LCC. Assumes Singapore are letting people in, as you'll probably need to go landside.
Old Mar 8, 21, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks but my ticket expires in Oct and I can only go Feb 22 onwards. Would have loved to have been put on MH!
This is all assuming countries are open again. How long do you think I would need from landing at SIN to get to departing to KUL? A couple of hours?
Old Mar 8, 21, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
All sorts of factors in play here including immigration queues, which terminal you're flying out of to KL, whether you have a checked bag, incoming being on time. etc. For me two hours wouldn't be comfortable, but it is doable.

Personally I'd leave a bigger gap, or even overnight in Singapore. It's easy and cheap to get a taxi into town, have a beer and a meal, and then go back and check in for the second flight. I think the earlier BA flight comes in late afternoon and there should be plenty of options to get to KL during the evening.

[edit - CNY is irrelevant if you're going after the 22nd, must learn to read]

Last edited by bisonrav; Mar 8, 21 at 4:30 pm
Old Mar 8, 21, 5:22 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Benm007 View Post
This is all assuming countries are open again. How long do you think I would need from landing at SIN to get to departing to KUL? A couple of hours?
yes that should be ok. Immigration is a breeze at SIN (this was pre-Covid) and even if you have to change terminals for check-in with another carrier, it is fast. With two hours you are almost guaranteed to be make it in time for check-in. In the event that you miss the flight, you just buy another ticket. There are numerous flights to KUL with various carriers and tickets are cheap.
Old Mar 8, 21, 6:52 pm

In normal time, pls see whether you can buy LCC that depart from T1, ie jetstar/flyscoot. Do take note that luggage need to be purchase as well.

During normal time AirAsia will depart from T4, that mean you have to drag your luggage from T1 to T2 n then board shuttle bus to T4. So this is not advisable.
Old Mar 9, 21, 1:05 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Personally I'd build in a night or two in Singapore at this point but otherwise if you avoid anything out of T4 this will indeed be simple enough. The tickets are cheap (just avoid CNY & ideally Friday nights) so needing to rebook if BA is late isn't a total disaster. OT but in my opinion KL is not the most interesting city in that part of the world and I wouldn't be putting it in my holiday plans, if your ultimate destination is elsewhere in Malaysia then there may be direct options from Singapore as well, especially if you do a stopover first.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 9, 21, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It seems very unlikely to put it mildly that Singapore will be taking tourists this year. Nobody here even imagines in their wildest dreams that we'll be able to leave any time soon. I just hope Singapore will accept UK citizens who are residents here at some point this year and this is with a 2 week quarantine at about 2200GSD per person. I'd make alternative arrangements.
Old Mar 9, 21, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Iím one step further on than the OP - KUL cancelled, rebooked SIN for May. Looks like this rebook will now be cancelled as well so trying to work out what to do...

It has been suggested on another thread we may be able to push these flights back to October, but Iím not sure this is worth it really given the likelihood of being able to travel by then (50/50 at very best maybe!?).

Might just be time to admit defeat and get a refund! Oh well hardly the end of the world currently
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 9, 21, 2:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats View Post
It seems very unlikely to put it mildly that Singapore will be taking tourists this year. Nobody here even imagines in their wildest dreams that we'll be able to leave any time soon. I just hope Singapore will accept UK citizens who are residents here at some point this year and this is with a 2 week quarantine at about 2200GSD per person. I'd make alternative arrangements.
Sounds like you're in SIN? Might I ask why you believe that residents might not be able to travel (assuming SHN on return) anytime soon? Trying to plan a family reunion with my folks who are in Singapore in the Maldives in June/July. One is on the vaccination list now, another I'm hoping soon.
Old Mar 9, 21, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
Sounds like you're in SIN? Might I ask why you believe that residents might not be able to travel (assuming SHN on return) anytime soon? Trying to plan a family reunion with my folks who are in Singapore in the Maldives in June/July. One is on the vaccination list now, another I'm hoping soon.
You can travel if you are a pass holder so long as you are happy to pay 2000SGD+ for a 14 day stay in a hotel. Some are exempt and can serve notices at home, and others eg coming from Perth or NZ can serve even less time subject to tests. Most people aren't willing to do this for a week or two week holiday though...You also need to check that Singapore will let you back in from wherever you choose to go!
I'm due to fly to the UK in late May if BA stop cancelling all the flights! My problem will be that once there I'm stuck without a crazy long journey back as Singapore won't allow people in from the UK at all and nobody expects that to change soon which is why BA keep slashing flights. Last year I got stuck in the UK for over 6 months waiting for permission to enter from the Singapore government.
Old Mar 9, 21, 3:46 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...covid-14367110

This is the current situation along with quotes from ministers in recent days around "bubble wrapping" business travellers first of all. Inbound tourism isn't a huge priority for Singapore in the grand scheme of things, especially from outside APAC. My view (as someone who'd love to get back and visit colleagues and dear friends I had to leave without saying goodbye to) is inbound tourism from the UK is something that would only happen next year unless vaccination is incredibly successful and our border controls remain tight. I'd also suggest outbound travel from SG is still a pretty long way away - especially to places like the Maldives which have relatively open borders and thus (potentially) put visitors mixing with others from high risk countries.

Best case in my view is Q4 of the year once the majority of the local population is populated then outbound from Singapore may be feasible to destinations like Thailand (probably Phuket only) or the recently suggested Bali "green zone" . Places where they are limiting visitors to vaccinated and tested only and who have vaccinated most/all of the workers and population in those areas.

The other thing to consider if planning a trip to Singapore is the "Phase 3" "new normal" limitations there are a pretty big dampener for a tourist - hotels have capacity limits on the pool (so you'd only get maybe 1hr a day), no alcohol served after 10.30pm, no night clubs, mask wearing outdoors etc.
Old Mar 9, 21, 3:50 am

This will help.
Travelling to Singapore (ica.gov.sg)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: