Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't pull up AA award on BA.com

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Can't pull up AA award on BA.com

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm not very good with avios and booking awards with them is rare for me.

I am trying to book LIH-PHX in F. AA metal. It is available on AA.com as a saver award and appears to be available to be booked through partners, such as Qantas and Alaska. Expert Flyer shows "U" availability, which I thought was the code that was available to partners like BA for award booking. Because of the mileage chart, it is cheaper if I can use avios but I cannot get the award to be displayed using the BA.com search.

Does BA have less availability to AA awards than other partners or is this some sort of point of sale limitation based on booking site used? I assume if BA doesn't "see" it, I'm out of luck but I thought I'd ask before I use Alaska miles so I can save myself a few miles.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Good answer to this question recently in the main spending Avios thread Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32929430-post14.html
lkar likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Good answer to this question recently in the main spending Avios thread Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32929430-post14.html
Aha, thanks. So not an isolated incident. It appears that sometimes BA.com does not display AA awards even when the correct fare bucket for the award is available, just from going through some of those threads. In my case, I do not think this is a case of the award on AA being a web special and not a miles-saver, given that other partners seem to see the space and it comes up as a miles-saver on expert flyer. I'll try to call them later today.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It tends to be quite tricky to know how to reply to questions like this (which come up from time to time) without dates and flight numbers. But if a general answer will do:
- Yes you can see F availability on AA services (or rather I can)
- I am not aware of anything changing, but IT outages can sometimes explain variations
- There are circumstances where you won't see options online, notably if you have to connecting services, searching by leg may work
- Sometimes you are best to call up.
- Some AA rewards are for AA members only.
lkar likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:02 am
Original Poster

I finally got around to calling today. I hate calling. Anyway, it was indeed a failure of BA.com to display award availability on AA metal.

Iberia, Qantas, and Alaska all could see the award and expert flyer showed that availability was there in the required class. So I called and they could see the space. Booked no problem and waived the phone fee so all good.

But at least one instance of BA.com just not seeing partner space that is in fact there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.