Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SITA [airline IT provider] data breach, some BAEC data compromised

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: F
I am currently in the state that only username is accepted, my email (which I have checked in settings) does not work.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by redshift27
I am currently in the state that only username is accepted, my email (which I have checked in settings) does not work.
Same here, which is ironic, given that email is the recommended method of logging in!

Utter shambles.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Having waited for the dust to settle, just logged in normally with BAEC membership and password. And ... relax!
antichef, bafan and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by T8191
Having waited for the dust to settle, just logged in normally with BAEC membership and password. And ... relax!
In that case, it would appear that BA has decided to switch off the mandatory password reset as their systems obviously couldn't handle the volume.

Are the accounts that have not had password changes vulnerable?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Are the accounts that have not had password changes vulnerable?
No, unless you've used the same password on other sites over the years which may have been hacked.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
No, unless you've used the same password on other sites over the years which may have been hacked.
Well yes, but why initially force everybody to change their passwords, but then switch that off when it proved to be too much for the BA IT infrastructure to handle?

The email should have been enough - if you re-use your password across multiple sites, then change. For the sensible people out there that don't re-use passwords, it's not an issue.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Well yes, but why initially force everybody to change their passwords,
"Force" is a bit strong. I got an email which I ignored If one logged in yesterday, did it require a password change? If so then you're right, and "force" is correct!
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by 13901
Better be safe than sorry - SITA holds a lot of customer information.

Anyway, I don't understand all the brouhaha on these pages. I got the email, went on BA.com, reset the password, job done.

Then I promptly forgot the password but that's because I'm a muppet.
I'm very happy for you. That's not how it worked for a lot of us, including myself.

I don't understand the point of posting if you haven't had a problem, when you can see that so many have.

Are you saying you don't believe us? In which case, just say so plainly , rather than the "brouhaha" comment which is, as I'm sure you intended, patronising.

I refrained from posting the t**t word.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: Varies
"Force" is a bit strong. I got an email which I ignored If one logged in yesterday, did it require a password change? If so then you're right, and "force" is correct!
I was unable to log in using the details I've used for the past few years. So yes, I guess you could say "forced". Thanks for the post, I'm sure someone may have found it useful - not sure who, but someone surely appreciated it.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by ttama
I'm very happy for you. That's not how it worked for a lot of us, including myself.

I don't understand the point of posting if you haven't had a problem, when you can see that so many have.

Are you saying you don't believe us? In which case, just say so plainly , rather than the "brouhaha" comment which is, as I'm sure you intended, patronising.

I refrained from posting the t**t word.

I've got so many questions (why do you think I don't believe people, why only negative comments ought to be allowed in your view, why do you think my message is patronising) but I'd just like to say one thing: I understand this was an inconvenience to many, I understand it caused frustration and I'm not trying to defend BA/patronise/be disrespectful. But let's put things in perspective for a second: this is about a password for an account where you can gain and redeem points for flights (which, inter nos, you can't take in the vast majority of cases). We're not talking about people dying here, we're not talking about bank accounts being frozen. Do you really need to go around blowing off like that and insulting people you don't know over this?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:49 am

Yes - when I tried to log in it "forced" me to change my password. I managed this after 3 attempts and many swear words.

If It'd tried today, then I'd probably have been OK.
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.