Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did BA move DOH to LGW ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
Oh dear. I’m booked on that LGW-DOH flight mid July (and then on to Maldives). An avios booking. I’ve read the customer guidelines and it looks like they should book me onto Qatar airways (without the need to find reward space). Is that correct? Do I have to wait for them to tell me it’s cancelled or can I proactively call up now?

any guidance appreciated to help me mitigate the rising panic in my household.

thanks

MTP
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by munchthepow
Oh dear. I’m booked on that LGW-DOH flight mid July (and then on to Maldives). An avios booking. I’ve read the customer guidelines and it looks like they should book me onto Qatar airways (without the need to find reward space). Is that correct?
yes, either the QR LGW flight which is now appearing, or on LHR-DOH QR flights.

Do I have to wait for them to tell me it’s cancelled or can I proactively call up now?
wait until it is cancelled
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
Thanks Karfa. Panic subsiding.

MTP
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, either the QR LGW flight which is now appearing, or on LHR-DOH QR flights.

wait until it is cancelled
I was booked on the QR LGW flight for September which was cancelled and I was moved to the BA flight, guess I’ll be calling BA holidays again! Old style CW seats a bit of a disappointment now [although I did DOH-LGW in early Feb and the cabin was so empty I didn’t have to contort myself stepping over another pax]
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Has anybody received a cancellation email yet? Mrs TedToToe has a reservation in October.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Has anybody received a cancellation email yet?
The flights are off sale, but have not been cancelled (yet).
TedToToe and munchthepow like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
I'm booked with the family in mid Aug with BA LGW-DOH & the 9am flight with QR from LGW does not work as my connecting flight is 2am the next day.
There are LHR alternatives that work better for me when they cancel our BA flight can I insist on flying from LHR?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Nightbus to Dalson
I'm booked with the family in mid Aug with BA LGW-DOH & the 9am flight with QR from LGW does not work as my connecting flight is 2am the next day.
There are LHR alternatives that work better for me when they cancel our BA flight can I insist on flying from LHR?
You won't need to insist. nce the flight gets cancelled you'll be able to rebook on to a convenient LHR QR flight without question as long as there are seats in the cabin
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)

KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Ooops, and there's more. Presume existing bookings will be shunted over to QR (a win!)

Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:00 am

Can anybody fathom out the logic of operating LHR-DOH for this short period of time, instead of the planned LGW route? Presumably, QR need some time to up their capacity for the remainder of the summer but why not continue LGW-DOH to the end of June?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:56 am

Could be crew related? Enough spare at LHR to manage for a couple of weeks
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Can anybody fathom out the logic of operating LHR-DOH for this short period of time, instead of the planned LGW route? Presumably, QR need some time to up their capacity for the remainder of the summer but why not continue LGW-DOH to the end of June?
I believe this is connected to the shortage of long haul cabin crew at Gatwick.
New entrants are due to begin training late August/Early September. They have successful applicants,
but I have heard that priority is currently being given to Heathrow Cabin Crew Training courses.
Both Gatwick to Doha and Gatwick to Islamabad are due to return with the winter timetable.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
The late May cancellations to New York and Doha were the result of crew shortages.
BA do not wish to cancel Gatwick to New York without good reason with Norse International starting up in August so that
stays.

Last edited by vectismanpaul; Jun 7, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
The late May cancellations to New York and Doha were the result of crew shortages.
BA do not wish to cancel Gatwick new York without good reason with Norse International starting up in August so that
stays.
That makes sense. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.