Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strange text from BA Holidays re: 'Holidays are not Allowed'

Old Mar 1, 21, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet

'You are due to travel during the period when the UK Government has stated the holiday are not allowed under national restrictions'

With an invitation to visit a page offering a Voucher / Refund or the option to keep the booking given if you have legitimate reason for travel. It doesn't say in the text message or the landing page, but they give a deadline to choose an option, with presumably the implication that if you don't choose it will be cancelled.

Booking isn't until late April, so it's not at all clear what the legal situation might be for travel by then, but that's for another thread !

It has been flagged as 'Spam' on Android but it does look relatively legit .. Strange they didn't email ( I think previously they were doing this via email )
Old Mar 1, 21, 10:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Given that they are using the correct booking reference, and do not require any personal details, I think it is fair to say that this is genuine and not something dodgy.

Personally it makes it very clear and easy as to your options, especially if you wish to get a refund.
Old Mar 1, 21, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Definitely legitimate and a very fast way of getting a refund (am on my third now ). You will not be able to travel in April, unless it is for business
Old Mar 1, 21, 12:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat
Yup recieved the same thing : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33069862-post13.html
Old Mar 1, 21, 12:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK View Post
'You are due to travel during the period when the UK Government has stated the holiday are not allowed under national restrictions'

With an invitation to visit a page offering a Voucher / Refund or the option to keep the booking given if you have legitimate reason for travel. It doesn't say in the text message or the landing page, but they give a deadline to choose an option, with presumably the implication that if you don't choose it will be cancelled.

Booking isn't until late April, so it's not at all clear what the legal situation might be for travel by then, but that's for another thread !

It has been flagged as 'Spam' on Android but it does look relatively legit .. Strange they didn't email ( I think previously they were doing this via email )
According to the British Prime Minister, non-essential international travel from England will be banned until 17 May 2021 at the earliest.
Old Mar 1, 21, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by Tdgraves View Post
Definitely legitimate and a very fast way of getting a refund (am on my third now ). You will not be able to travel in April, unless it is for business
Probably will be the case, but as things stand unless they introduce new legislation to give effect to this desire to restrict travel it will not be illegal after 29th March ( when the general "stay at home unless you've a reasonable excuse" law expires )
Old Mar 1, 21, 1:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK View Post
Probably will be the case, but as things stand unless they introduce new legislation to give effect to this desire to restrict travel it will not be illegal after 29th March ( when the general "stay at home unless you've a reasonable excuse" law expires )
The British government will publish its international travel policy on 12 April. That notwithstanding, the PM has already announced that non-essential international travel will not be allowed until 17 May 2021 at the very earliest. The necessary statutory provisions will be put in place at the appropriate time.
ENTP, KARFA and imkevinmc like this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully the "appropriate time" is a bit less last minute than most of the legislation/regulations that have been put in place but we can only wait and see i guess !

( Also this "holiday" actually isn't to a destination that would be covered by any "International Travel Ban" I imagine so not that sure what the case would be in late April .. regardless I imagine I'll be rescheduling it anyway and this suits me to have the option without hanging around for the inevitable cancellation )

Anyways, to the original point SMS only communication seemed a bit unusual from BA also the link in the SMS wasn't a BA.com URL which looked a little strange .. Most of the time its email only that I can recall, or occasionally email+sms
Old Mar 1, 21, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As with any odd communication, it it gives you the slightest pause, call.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Mar 2, 21, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I got this yesterday too - for a domestic trip for mid-April, so within the rules (as long as the 12th April date sticks).

I had similar messages when trying to book too - when searching for flight and car I got an error box about lockdown restrictions.
Old Mar 2, 21, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Agree with point above. Right to be wary and you cannot be too careful. If itís a text with a short url if you hold your finger on it it should reveal the actual url behind it (which is presumably ba.com) but there is so much fraud out there, if you pause for thought for a second, check it out first.
Old Mar 2, 21, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Below is what it looks like ( on Android anyway ) it's not actually a shortened URL by the looks of it , rather a different domain they're using endx.io whatever that is . Anyway it seems legit giving the booking ref is valid so I guess it's fine !

Original SMS
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Mar 3, 21, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The message might still be legit, perhaps sent from a remote part of the BA India organisation (?)

Originally Posted by Google
The Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) . io is assigned to the British Indian Ocean Territory. The . io domain is administered by the Internet Computer Bureau, a domain name registry company based in the United Kingdom.
Disclaimer:
My own experience of e-mails from remote island location domains is mainly spam-ish, though.
Old Mar 3, 21, 5:28 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
That link is pretty bad, definitely nowhere near best practice for online communications. "Dear Customer" is also poor- I'm guessing the booking reference matches the one you've got, and it's probably not malicious, but it's still extremely poor/sloppy. (I've been in InfoSec/'Cyber' for most of my career).

There is no way to verify that the endx [dot] io domain is non-malicious or owned/used by a company who's employed by BA to act in contacting you.
I'd recommend forwarding the SMS screenshot to [email protected] and get in touch with them via a known-good channel (e.g. phone number on their website, possibly social media if that's your bag).

.io is a top level domain fairly commonly used by online businesses, unfortunately the geographic top level domain info can't really be relied upon in any way given how easy it is to register domains in just about any jurisdiction these days.

endx [dot] io technically is a series of 'redirects' to a generic Microsoft hosted datacentre IP, but again you could buy/rent one of these servers with a few quid stuck onto a prepaid/stolen card; it's probably not, but this is the nature of the Internet these days.
13901 and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 4, 21, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Had a couple of these recently. Phoned to check on the first one. BAH agent confirmed it was legit and said he would expedite the refund, still waiting 3 weeks later!

Second one, I just left it, got the ‘refund will made as no reply’ text after the deadline, refund back in account within 4 working days!

Wish I’d not bothered calling now! Both simple fight plus car bookings.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: