FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Masks for ages 2+ on USA flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2034920-masks-ages-2-usa-flights.html)

Abstract1 Feb 28, 2021 3:59 am

Masks for ages 2+ on USA flights?

Hi everyone, I hope you're all staying safe and well. I just read this info on BA website. Has this been the case for a while? I'm due to travel to US in July with my 2 year old. No idea how she will react to having to wear a mask for 7 hours! (I suspect not well!)

dylanks Feb 28, 2021 4:46 am

Yes, it’s been this way for.a while and there are plenty of reports of families getting kicked off planes prior to departure for young children refusing to wear a mask. It’s fairly ridiculous to expect very young children to comply in my opinion.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 28, 2021 5:05 am

It has come in fairly recently thanks to US federal restrictions. I suspect you will find BA cabin crew fairly pragmatic on this particular aspect, however, I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Cap'n Benj Feb 28, 2021 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Abstract1 (Post 33066967)
Hi everyone, I hope you're all staying safe and well. I just read this info on BA website. Has this been the case for a while? I'm due to travel to US in July with my 2 year old. No idea how she will react to having to wear a mask for 7 hours! (I suspect not well!)

Just try to get her used to it in advance, better to know what her reaction will be beforehand if nothing else!

My daughter goes to daycare in the US and all the kids wear masks with no problem at all, once they’re used to it, it’s no different to wearing a t-shirt for them

MFCC Feb 28, 2021 5:13 am

We now have to make a PA on US flights that mentions that pax over 2 are required to wear a mask as per US federal law.
To be fair, personally I would overlook a mask-less 2 year old however rules are rules and some crew may not.
All I can advise is get them used to wearing them, and at least make an effort to have them wear a mask onboard, however I’m sure if they really won’t then you won’t encounter a problem.

Abstract1 Feb 28, 2021 5:37 am

Thanks all for your responses. Yes we will have to see what happens. I guess then its a rule for any airline operating to USA....MFCC do you see many issues with this since it started, for example a la United with families getting kicked off or worse!!? Interestingly CX have removed the mask policy in F and J when in bed mode, so will be interesting to see if BA do something similar as the year goes on.

Often1 Feb 28, 2021 6:51 am

US carriers have had this requirement as a matter of air carrier policy for months and the experience is that it causes very very few problems (despite the media attention to a very small number of high-profile matters where it appears that the parents wanted the issue to arise. . Now that it is required as a matter of US law, it applies to BA as well.

The issue is always that it only takes one passenger to complain and cabin crew have little choice but to enforce, Thus, best to have the child used to the mask.

In any event, your flight is not until July. That is the distant future. Whether you may travel, whether your flight operate, and the entry rules, e.g. testing, quarantine & entry, may be radically different by then.

Gino Troian Feb 28, 2021 7:57 am

Completely ridiculous requirement but yes, a mask is required for those above the age of 2. Comply or be punished because "science!" :rolleyes:

MFCC Feb 28, 2021 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Abstract1 (Post 33067054)
Thanks all for your responses. Yes we will have to see what happens. I guess then its a rule for any airline operating to USA....MFCC do you see many issues with this since it started, for example a la United with families getting kicked off or worse!!? Interestingly CX have removed the mask policy in F and J when in bed mode, so will be interesting to see if BA do something similar as the year goes on.

The only issues I’ve seen is with adults failing to wear their masks, not kids.
I don’t think you should be overly concerned about things.

Abstract1 Feb 28, 2021 8:39 am

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 33067246)
The only issues I’ve seen is with adults failing to wear their masks, not kids.
I don’t think you should be overly concerned about things.

Thank you. Yes, was just a shock to find this online as I always assumed it was only US carriers that had this rule.

beachmouse Feb 28, 2021 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Abstract1 (Post 33067282)
Thank you. Yes, was just a shock to find this online as I always assumed it was only US carriers that had this rule.

The new US President preferred a unified rule for all mass transit in the USA rather than leaving the former piecemeal system where each transportation entity made its own rule book. I’d expect it to remain in place until vaccination numbers plus known COVID case numbers suggest reasonable herd immunity so suspect the mask rules will be around until fall.

skimthetrees Feb 28, 2021 9:30 am

Realistically, so long as your daughter can mask up and behave until after take-off they are not going to divert to kick you off so make sure your child can handle at least that much. I think most folks will cut a 2 year old some slack but a pax sitting right next to her might be more concerned so I might try to sit her at a window with you next to her giving more of a buffer for other pax. If the loads are light, perhaps even ask a gate agent before boarding if you can be seated somewhere your child is less likely to bother others if "she gets fussy". Do not mention the mask.

yuel Feb 28, 2021 10:41 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 33067364)
Realistically, so long as your daughter can mask up and behave until after take-off they are not going to divert to kick you off so make sure your child can handle at least that much. I think most folks will cut a 2 year old some slack but a pax sitting right next to her might be more concerned so I might try to sit her at a window with you next to her giving more of a buffer for other pax. If the loads are light, perhaps even ask a gate agent before boarding if you can be seated somewhere your child is less likely to bother others if "she gets fussy". Do not mention the mask.

your advice is not wear a mask after takeoff to be compliant?
my child is two and does wear a mask for hours, but have not flown cause I don’t want my child to be forced to wear a mask when he get excited being on a plane and doesn’t want to wear the mask

Farringdon Feb 28, 2021 11:21 am

There is specific advice from Public Health England that children under 3 should not wear masks. That doesn't help if the US government mandates it for all incoming flights, but still.

bricksoft Feb 28, 2021 1:10 pm

Practice with the mask before you travel so that your daughter is familiar with it.

Try a kids mask it might be more "fun" for your daughter

amazon.co.uk/s?k=kids+masks+washable&crid=1N9JWUSCZUUGQ&sprefix =kids+mask%2Caps%2C170&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_9