Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

BAEC/QFF - a (hopefully not hypothetical) question set

BAEC/QFF - a (hopefully not hypothetical) question set

Old Feb 28, 21, 5:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As a BAEC expat, your day to day Avios earning opportunities will be much slimmer in Australia than they are in the UK, probably limited to flight, hotel, car hire credits. Also, on APAC regional flights the generous Gold tier bonus will only apply on JL (probably of minimal use to you) and of course BA flights to/from the UK.

A quick back of a napkin calculation of your projected travel, it looks like you will be earning around 5,000 TPs each year, including flights to/from the UK. So at the end of the 4 year assignment, you will be within touching distance of lifetime Gold. That is a juicy carrot

That aside, I would probably wait until June before making any firm decisions - so that you have a clearer picture of your Gold card extension.
Old Feb 28, 21, 5:58 am
ECR

Originally Posted by Confus View Post
If you stick with BA, it is not currently possible to register an address in Australia, although this is very soon about to change (most likely before you get there).
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
When allocating Partner cards from my GGL benefits, residents of Australia and NZ were excluded from BAEC, apparently due to an historical agreement between QF and BA. Is that still the case and would it impact OP retaining membership of BAEC and earning BA avios while resident in Australia?
Confus suggested that this is about to change (see quote above). Even if it doesn't it may be that if they are returning to the UK each year that they have relatives with a UK address that they could use.
Old Feb 28, 21, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
off topic

AS do not offer Australia to Europe as a single award. Would need to be 2 awards. so the "stop over" is not relevant.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts
AS are going to have a X own flights requirement for status when they join OW.

on topic
fair enough.

perhaps the word free was badly chosen but what I was essentially saying is that compared to AA,BA and most (all?) OW partners you could have a stopover in Hong Kong for less miles than other partners - even if it is two awards.

I would respectfully argue that the point is still relevant and may still be of use to OP even if it is two awards.

thanks.
Old Feb 28, 21, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Confus suggested that this is about to change (see quote above). Even if it doesn't it may be that if they are returning to the UK each year that they have relatives with a UK address that they could use.
Missed Confus reply. Thanks.
Currently though, if someone is using a UK address to circumvent the rules but travel pattern clearly indicates being based in Australia, would that not constitute misuse of the account and therefore the account holder risks being subject to whatever fire and fury the Exec Club chooses to impose?
Old Feb 28, 21, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation View Post
I am currently BAEC Gold with c.13k lifetime tier points. With an annual trip home, I would be able to secure 4 BA flights per year.
I did the opposite - I moved to Ireland for "a year" and 16 years later I'm still here.

Without a doubt, stick with BA. Two reasons - a) you have 13,000 lifetime tier points and as others have pointed out, in four years you'll either have or almost have lifetime Gold. I'd stay for that alone! But also because... b) Redeeming BA Avios for Qantas domestic flights for leisure in business class is a fantastic use of Avios as J class fares on Qantas within Australia are extortionately expensive.

I would also recommend opening a Qantas Frequent Flyer account just to accrue points from credit card spend, bills and all the other stuff, but credit your flights and gain your status with BA.

That's my take anyway!
Old Feb 28, 21, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks everybody.

It was my back of a fag packet maths that led me to ask the question in the first place - after 4 years I should be within touching distance of GFL with BAEC.

appreciate the thoughts and comments folks
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation View Post
Im already a Cats fan, but thanks for the advice!
Good choice! Go Cats!

We were in Australia for a shorter time, but did a spreadsheet with assumed work and personal travel. We stuck with BA but AA was a close second. Doesnt sound like you anticipate US travel, but note that AA is stingy with lounge access for their domestic flights, but BA FFs have access.
Old Mar 1, 21, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
While QFF is a relatively poor programme, remember to join as everything from shopping to insurance to steps to sleeping (I did not make that up!) you can earn points for.
Old Mar 1, 21, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer View Post
While QFF is a relatively poor programme, remember to join as everything from shopping to insurance to steps to sleeping (I did not make that up!) you can earn points for.
Assuming that you will buy expensive insurance and want to provide Qantas lots of tracking information for them throwing a few pennies out
j1m3 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 21, 11:26 am

Played

Have to say, I do take my hat off to the OP for their truly excellent FT handle. Strong work.

Search this Thread