Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR to LAX - Best flight time for minimise jet lag

LHR to LAX - Best flight time for minimise jet lag

Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
My generic rules are probably based on what TheEyeTie posted above.

On the day of departure, set your watch to the time at your destination (or, in the modern watchless era, figure it out!). Then, try to act as though you are already in that time zone. Changing meal times may help, but but mainly work out whether you should be awake or asleep. It also might continue with the meal service on the flight!

If it's night at your destination and you can't sleep on a plane (like me), then wear an eye mask and just chill - no films/music - and try to sleep. Conversely, if it's day time at your destination, open the blinds and get a lot of sunlight and watch the movies! Exposure to light can 'trick' your body into thinking what time of day it is. And melatonin can help!

Obviously, you could use these suggestions to choose the best flight times for you! Having said that, I did a couple of EU-LAX/PHX runs last year without any real issues (leaving early morning and arriving late evening), but I tend to find that the return east to west flights are more difficult.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I think that as wb1969 is only going to be in LAX for a couple of days then maybe the earlier flight makes more sense, just from a perspective of maximising the amount of time available to do stuff while on the west coast. I think the flight is long enough to be able to enjoy oneself - including an adult beverage or two, and a nap. Traffic from the airport to downtown LA is bad even at the best of times. I have no idea where you'll be staying but I'd certainly recommend one of the beach communities (Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach etc.) as I feel it's a much nicer location than downtown.

Not sure how you're planning on getting up to the bay area but Amtrak would be an option - the Coast Starlight from LA Union Station to either Emeryville or Oakland Jack London Square and then an Uber over the bridge to San Francisco. Bear in mind that long distance trains are only running 3 times a week at the moment due to COVID. I'd recommend a roomette as it's more private, you can remove your mask, you can bring your own alcohol onboard and meals are included (although the current standard of microwave TV dinners leaves a lot to be desired).

In terms of general tips, getting in to the time zone as soon as you take off is the best - so adjust your watch. That first night in LA will be critical. Staying up until 10 pm or so should mean you get a good 8 hours sleep and are up at 6 am / 7 am or thereabouts. Going to bed at 7 pm or so means you'll be awake at 3 am and it's a vicious circle from there onwards!
wb1969 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:16 am

Another vote for the later flight.

Have done LA twice on early flights and I was completely goosed for the first few days and waking up at 2-3am for hours on end.

Did West Coast Canada a few years ago with an 8pm arrival and I was absolutely fine.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles

Have done LA twice on early flights and I was completely goosed for the first few days and waking up at 2-3am for hours on end.
Did you sleep at all on the way out? If not then I'm not surprised you suffered. The last time I flew this route I chose the 11.30am departure (pre-Covid) on American. I decided to wake up at 04:30am (8.30pm in the evening Los Angeles time) for two reasons, one of which was to minimise jetlag; I wanted to maximise Terminal 3 lounge time and enjoy a good brekkie before boarding. I also wanted to be sufficiently tired to be able to sleep on the flight, having had about 4hrs sleep before waking up at 04:30am.

After lunch onboard, followed by a movie and washed down with a few G&Ts I managed a good snooze. When the window shades are down, and it resembles night time it's good to snooze. I always slip a couple of melatonin tablets to help me doze off. 2/3 hrs is good for me.

Arrived as scheduled at around 3pm local time, checked into an airport hotel, picked up the car and was sufficiently well rested to drive in the madness that is LA traffic during rush hour. Went to bed at around 11pm and woke up at 5am, ideally could have slept 2hrs more, we were flying onto Hawaii at 11am same morning. There is a 10hr time difference in November between UK and Hawaii. Did I beat jetlag? Absolutely not. Jetlag in Hawaii was brutal, I was waking up at 3am almost every day for the week I was there.

​​​​​​​
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Strawb
...I always slip a couple of melatonin tablets to help me doze off. 2/3 hrs is good for me...
Do you mind saying what strength you are taking? I am assuming 1mg, personally if I had 2 x 3 mg and only napped for a couple of hours it would backfire horribly and it would be like night of the living dead!
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Do you mind saying what strength you are taking? I am assuming 1mg, personally if I had 2 x 3 mg and only napped for a couple of hours it would backfire horribly and it would be like night of the living dead!
Indeed they are. Funny thing is they work well on some flights, and I experience no jetlag, on others they don't work so well. I usually get the worse jetlag on time differences such as Hawaii and Australia. Even on some of the short US East Coast - UK eastbound flights I have managed to sleep well enough to avoid jetlag. I've even tried limiting and even cutting out alcohol on those short red eye flights.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
We are also forgetting that climate has something to do with this as well. I have arrived on the West Coast from a dismal chilly English summer into bright clear weather in LAX if there is a Santa Ana blowing. I have arrived on flights and gone to the hotel and lazed by the pool. More often I have arrived to find that brown haze over the whole of the city - I learned when working how close out we were when we crossed the mountains and you could smell the difference.

Ultimately, if I was going on to HNL - I tried to do so the same day and get rid of all the jetlag at once - I never had much problem on the outbound; it was the inbound that gave me far more problems. One thing I do advise - never ever touch Ambien (Stilnox in the UK) as I have seen Flight Attendants from United doing on one very sad occasion. Better no sleep than sleeping and never waking up.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Strawb
Indeed they are. Funny thing is they work well on some flights, and I experience no jetlag, on others they don't work so well. I usually get the worse jetlag on time differences such as Hawaii and Australia. Even on some of the short US East Coast - UK eastbound flights I have managed to sleep well enough to avoid jetlag. I've even tried limiting and even cutting out alcohol on those short red eye flights.
I took 1 x 3mg melatonin on QF10 LHR - PER and had zero jet lag, plus I did avail of the superb Qantas food and wine, it was astounding! Didn't nap on arrival and stayed up until 11 pm Western Australian time after a walk around the Botanical Gardens and a nice dinner. It being January, the sharp contrast of being whisked in just over 15 hours from cold, grey London to hot, sunny Perth felt very special.
PUCCI GALORE and Strawb like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Without getting at those who use Melatonin (etc), it should be perfectly possible to avoid jet lag without taking drugs.. The only drug that I would take pro-actively would be a low dose of paracetemol on a longer B777 or A340 sector, due to the atmosphere.
PUCCI GALORE and KARFA like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:59 am

Far be it from me to say that we are drifting somewhat as I am someone in a glass house on such matter - however - to respond to the question that the OP asked about which flights are the best for minimising jet lag - I think that we agree that in both directions work best for the majority of us. I strongly dissuade people from taking sleep aids in flight as if, God Forbid, there was an emergency zombies are not the best people to have to evacuate or follow instructions if they are half asleep. The best is flying when you would normally go to sleep or afternoon nap. Sweet dreams!
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:34 am

Just to further demonstrate that people are different: Going to bed in California by 19:00 for an early start to the next day works out perfectly for me. Given that I usually go to Santa Barbara, it's the earlier flight (overnight stay at LHR).
Old Mar 4, 2021, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Just to further demonstrate that people are different: Going to bed in California by 19:00 for an early start to the next day works out perfectly for me. Given that I usually go to Santa Barbara, it's the earlier flight (overnight stay at LHR).
I could do the same, but I would wake up at 2.00am and be wide awake. Going to bed at 19.00 is at least 4 hours earlier than I have been to bed in the past forty years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.