Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA Basic economy - What is BA Gold entitled to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Hello all,
This is my first time flying AA Basic economy and i'm a bit confused about what is or is not allowed
I will be booking directly on AA ( USA to central america) while using my BAEC number
I have the booking currently on hold for myself (gold) and my partner (no status)
A couple questions
1. Assigned seats - I was surprised that I was able to choose our seats for free. Is this the usual case with the BE fare? Is there a chance I can be asked to pay for these seats in the future?
2. Baggage allowance - The current booking does not say anything about baggage allowance.Does OWE get free baggage on AA BE? I do not mind paying the $30 for one bag versus difference of $120 for BE vs Main cabin
3. Tier points / Avios - This booking shows up as economy / booking code B. The British airways avios calculator has the B code as earning lowest tier points and avios. However I also read somewhere that Basic economy fares earn no points. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for all your help as always. Please move this to the appropriate thread if it already exists
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a bit of detail in these threads:

Economy Basic and Gold Perks?

Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares

but in short, yes you get seat allocation (that's a more recent change),baggage allowance (an AA specific perk) and TPs/Avios at the lowest rate. AA has a different approach to that aspect in respect of its own frequent flyer scheme. While AA uses T5 then you benefit from the Gold Wing, which is somewhat better than the old T3 experience.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

This is really helpful. Thank you!
Old Feb 26, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

but in short, yes you get seat allocation (that's a more recent change),baggage allowance (an AA specific perk) and TPs/Avios at the lowest rate. AA has a different approach to that aspect in respect of its own frequent flyer scheme. While AA uses T5 then you benefit from the Gold Wing, which is somewhat better than the old T3 experience.
Normally I would rather have T3 lounges and no Gold wing to be honest.
however in this current climate I would take anything
SxMan and mikeyfly like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
fair warning, there will most likely not be a personal gold member welcome onboard.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by VSLover
fair warning, there will most likely not be a personal gold member welcome onboard.
So just like BA then?
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Since OP is not flying an ABJ route will OWE bag allowance still apply?
Also, OP won't be able to select MCE seats for free, I believe, which was a recent change? But I guess MC seat selection is still free.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover
Unless things have changed a BA Gold/OWE is seen by crew as EXP and so OP may get some sort of greeting, but not the little chat that BA occasionally manages.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Normally I would rather have T3 lounges and no Gold wing to be honest.
however in this current climate I would take anything
Personally I agree, I'm a fan of the Cathay lounge and T3 fasttrack isn't an awful experience in normal times. But either way it's very much a first world problem, and I suspect if I ever get to drag the wife to Heathrow she'd be more impressed with the T5 experience. As with anything the 'new' experience is often more interesting
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Just want to double check whether BAEC Gold will get a check in bag for an AA domestic Economy Basic Fare?

I have done a dummy booking for economy basic and main cabin, and both allows me to book a seat for free (including MCE) but don't know if I get a free check in bag? The fare difference isn't huge £120 vs £183, but no point spending an extra £63 unless I have to.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
Just want to double check whether BAEC Gold will get a check in bag for an AA domestic Economy Basic Fare?

I have done a dummy booking for economy basic and main cabin, and both allows me to book a seat for free (including MCE) but don't know if I get a free check in bag? The fare difference isn't huge £120 vs £183, but no point spending an extra £63 unless I have to.

Yes, contrary to BA own policy, AA allow status holders (even BAEC Silver) baggage allowance on an handbag only fare.
FlyingWelshie likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
This is what I had the other day option wise whilst checking in:

Old Sep 17, 2023, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xenole
This is what I had the other day option wise whilst checking in:

Thanks. Assume This was an Economy Basic fare?
Old Sep 17, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
Since OP is not flying an ABJ route will OWE bag allowance still apply?
Also, OP won't be able to select MCE seats for free, I believe, which was a recent change? But I guess MC seat selection is still free.
I’m BA silver, so OW sapphire and have just booked basic economy with AA this morning. I can confirm free seat selection in MCE and 2 free checked bags.😊
The downside of course is no changes.
FlyingWelshie and jonr405 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.