Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice on best usage of about 25k expiring BA Avios

Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Hi
I live in the US with no immediate plans to travel abroad.

How should I redeem about 25k British Airways Avios that will expire soon?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:16 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
I have the same problem with 60k points. I think that it might be a good idea to transfer to Iberia?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Use it for domestic flights on AA or AS?
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
First and foremost - can you do some activity that will add Avios and push out the expiration date? I usually try to do that before burning miles/points on things I don't want.

I personally have used most of my Avios for flights between the US and Ireland on Aer Lingus. The Y redemptions are easy to redeem, a very nice value in off-peak periods, and have far lower YQ than redeeming BA metal. The flight is short enough that I don't mind Y, especially when the kids are with us. (J, by contrast, can be a tough redemption on EI.)

I know lots of people here redeem BA for AA and AS domestic U.S. flights. I've also redeemed on JL with fairly low (but not zero) YQ.

How picky you can get kind of depends on how soon the miles expire and in what part of the world you're located. Still some lingering COVID-related border closures which make booking anything international and near-term a bit iffy.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 1:06 pm

How do you check Avios expiration date?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.