BA.com wont let me be greedy!

Old Feb 21, 21, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
BA.com wont let me be greedy!

As my username suggests, I have 6 mouths to feed and bottoms to place on plane seats! I'm hoping to snag all 6 (4 Economy and 2 Bus) reward seats to a holiday destination at T-355. I've tried a dummy booking to somewhere that currently has this availability, but it doesn't look like it's possible online. Would the call centre be able to do this for me? I'd ideally like 6 x economy, but I realise this isn't in their power.

Would there be any complications with this?
momoflyingguy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 21, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classť, plus BAEC.
You canít do a mixed cabin booking, so couldnít combine economy and club tickets on the same PNR.

BA do make more than 4 seats in the same cabin available on avios for shorthaul, though Iím unsure for longhaul.
FamilyOf6 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 21, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
You canít do a mixed cabin booking, so couldnít combine economy and club tickets on the same PNR.

BA do make more than 4 seats in the same cabin available on avios for shorthaul, though Iím unsure for longhaul.
Thanks for clarifying. I have seen more than 4 available in the same cabin, but the pattern seems to be, for example, the inbound flight on the first few days of school holidays, where the plane would otherwise be flying back fairly empty!
This would be a shorthaul booking. I'm wondering what the risks of booking on 2 separate PNRs would be in reality.
Old Feb 21, 21, 5:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FamilyOf6 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I have seen more than 4 available in the same cabin, but the pattern seems to be, for example, the inbound flight on the first few days of school holidays, where the plane would otherwise be flying back fairly empty!
This would be a shorthaul booking. I'm wondering what the risks of booking on 2 separate PNRs would be in reality.
I have done this and multiple PNR’s is not an issue. Agents can “link” them with comments and a function called TCP. (To complete party)

If you have multiple passengers with status, then if possible split these between the bookings to avoid the situation where one booking is drastically more “downgradable” than the other.
FamilyOf6 and OddJobMan like this.
Old Feb 21, 21, 2:48 pm

I don't think there's an Amadeus impediment to using the same PNR with mixed classes for different passengers, rather, I think it's a BA restriction? Either way this doesn't help the OP!
Old Feb 22, 21, 12:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Linking bookings (TCP) is simply a text field in the bookings, it doesn't really do anything practical unless you have an agent look at it. Assuming this is two adults and four children, it would probably be a good idea to put one adult and one child in business and the other adult and three children in Y, in the unlikely event of things going wrong at least you won't have to deal with children being without an adult.

Also, don't forget that you can cancel the J tickets up to 24 hours before departure for a £35 fee. Worth keeping an eye on Y availability in case something opens up.
FamilyOf6 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 21, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
I don't think there's an Amadeus impediment to using the same PNR with mixed classes for different passengers, rather, I think it's a BA restriction? Either way this doesn't help the OP!
There is - all passengers in a single booking have to be on the same itinerary in the same booking class - this is not a BA restriction
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Feb 22, 21, 1:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
Linking bookings (TCP) is simply a text field in the bookings, it doesn't really do anything practical unless you have an agent look at it.
FLY would see them as travelling together and in case of IRROPS they would be re-accommodated together too.
Old Feb 22, 21, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by megaloman View Post
FLY would see them as travelling together and in case of IRROPS they would be re-accommodated together too.
My son TCP'd a booking for his friend so they could sit together in the exit row for the ride up to a golfing holiday in Scotland and they were both upgraded to Club Europe when the flight was full so I agree that TCP is more than just a note in the booking.
bmiStar likes this.
Old Feb 22, 21, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
My son TCP'd a booking for his friend so they could sit together in the exit row for the ride up to a golfing holiday in Scotland and they were both upgraded to Club Europe when the flight was full so I agree that TCP is more than just a note in the booking.
It is just a note in the booking. For anything to happen on the basis that two bookings are TCPd, it needs the note to be noticed. Traditionally, it relied on an agent to notice and act on the note. If some of the automated systems do now notice the note, that's a step forward. We've also had things happen simultaneously to the two of us when our bookings have been TCPd, too, but it was impossible to know whether that was a human or a machine. But either way, I don't think that it would be safe to suggest that people can rely on TCP to secure anything beyond what has been promised.
Old Feb 22, 21, 6:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
Linking bookings (TCP) is simply a text field in the bookings, it doesn't really do anything practical unless you have an agent look at it. Assuming this is two adults and four children, it would probably be a good idea to put one adult and one child in business and the other adult and three children in Y, in the unlikely event of things going wrong at least you won't have to deal with children being without an adult.

Also, don't forget that you can cancel the J tickets up to 24 hours before departure for a £35 fee. Worth keeping an eye on Y availability in case something opens up.
Originally Posted by megaloman View Post
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
It is just a note in the booking. For anything to happen on the basis that two bookings are TCPd, it needs the note to be noticed. Traditionally, it relied on an agent to notice and act on the note. If some of the automated systems do now notice the note, that's a step forward. We've also had things happen simultaneously to the two of us when our bookings have been TCPd, too, but it was impossible to know whether that was a human or a machine. But either way, I don't think that it would be safe to suggest that people can rely on TCP to secure anything beyond what has been promised.
Experiences of TCP'd bookings differ, which is why I suggested they are "linked" using quotation marks. For all intents and purposes the bookings are connected, but this may depend on manual intervention.
Old Feb 22, 21, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am often in this position as a blended family of 8 (including a son-in-law and grandchild).

You will definitely need 2 bookings and having just snagged 8 premium tickets (across 2 flights) to a very desirable Christmas destination on peak dates I can tell you that we had two of us working the phones at 11.45pm making small talk with the call centre until midnight. Then one of us made one booking (i.e. 4 x Y seats) and the other made the other booking (i.e. 2 x J seats). If you try to make both bookings yourself you risk missing one set of seats whilst booking the other.
FamilyOf6 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 21, 6:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
I wonder if the TCP improvements are part of Altťa (what's behind FLY) - a lot of airlines that use the 'native' Altťa OLCI / check-in modules have the option to "add passenger" using their reference/ticket number, and it's pretty much impossible to then split them off. Next time you enter OLCI with your reference, you'll see all pax listed, even across bookings.
Anonba likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: