Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

BA Lounge Access

I notice that QR do an entry level business class fare that doesn’t give access to their lounges. If I was travelling out of LHR on a QR ticket can I get access to the BA Galleries lounges through my BAEC silver status?

How would I fare, too, while at DOH and SIN. Would my BAEC status work for me there?
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
There is a summary table with lounge access with status here

QR unbundles business class with new R fares
Newbury newbie likes this.

Last edited by FlyingWelshie; Feb 19, 2021 at 12:00 am
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Assuming you are travelling imminently, you can access the BA Galleries Club lounge at LHR (or BA Galleries First lounge if closed), and the QR Al Mourjan Business lounge at DOH (whilst the QR Business Class lounge remains closed). There are no lounges open at SIN at present.

If travelling once things get back to 'normal' and assuming all lounges are open, you can access the BA Galleries Club lounge at LHR (if QR are still in T5) or the Plaza Premium lounge at LHR (if QR move back to T4), and the QR Business Class lounge at DOH. On your return from SIN, you can use the BA lounge or QF Business lounge (subject to opening hours) plus the SATS Premier lounge that QR contract. On an R fare, you cannot access the QR Al Mourjan Business lounge at DOH unless you pay, and QR haven't yet announced whether they will enable paid-for entry at their outstation premium lounges (such as SIN) although I would expect them to offer this in time once these lounges reopen.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:59 am
Original Poster

I’ve never flown QR before. Would the one stop business class option to HKG and same back from SIN (next Feb 2022) outway the CW direct offering from BA?

Is QR business class the best in the world, as they say?!!
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Newbury newbie
I’ve never flown QR before. Would the one stop business class option to HKG and same back from SIN (next Feb 2022) outway the CW direct offering from BA?
Popcorn at the ready...

It’s entirely subjective, and only you can answer it, based on what you value. For me, no, because the longer non-stop overnight flight works much better for sleeping and I don’t want a 2am stop in the desert, and actually quite like the BA rear-facing seats. But others value the bling of QR. Plenty of previous threads if you want to read the old debates.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If you don't need the TPs, I'd take direct on BA over the stopper on QR, but QR generally outweighs BA in all aspects other than the mandated DOH connection and associated time (particularly on a Qsuite-equipped aircraft). I've several QR trip reports in my signature below if you want to whet your appetite.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond

I have flown to/from HKG and SIN with BA and QR in business class. PERSONALLY I would fly with QR as I really value the onboard experience and appreciate the extra TPs. But BA is fine if all you want is sleep and a quicker journey. One thing to add with BA you will be able to access the LHR T5 arrivals lounge - assuming it will be open - something I value for the shower on arrival.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
In terms of convenience, nothing will top a non-stop.

If OP has never done it, then QR is an experience I would recommend. The stop over in DOH in the middle of the night is something else, the in-flight experience is very good, there are extra tier points, it frequently is cheaper.

As Confus has said, it is one to get the popcorn out because it is more about what people value in a journey than about the actual benefits of BA vs QR.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 4:16 am
Original Poster

These are great responses to my OP and second query. I truly value all the feedback. Me and the Mrs will be travelling (hopefully) on leisure, to undertake our 14 night SE Asia cruise. So, it’s all about the experience I’d say, on this occasion, and not so much the convenience!

so, may be QR is the way to go?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Leisure, lower price, double Tier Points, and if you've not done it before - then 100% why not try Qatar. Don't worry about the layover lounge, take the shortest time at DOH and enjoy the air time.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s a matrix of flight times, timings, stop over lengths, your ability to sleep on a plane and the value you attach to food, service v hard product etc.

I like QR and consider them to be a quality division above BA in Business. But a Club Suite fitted plane leaving London at 18:00 arriving early the following afternoon fits my personal preferences on that route over any shuffle in Doha.
Genius1, Newbury newbie and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are great responses to my OP and second query. I truly value all the feedback. Me and the Mrs will be travelling (hopefully) on leisure, to undertake our 14 night SE Asia cruise. So, it’s all about the experience I’d say, on this occasion, and not so much the convenience!

so, may be QR is the way to go?
For a special occasion, subject to the DOH connection time being acceptable to you, then I'd take QR. It's worth paying for access to the Al Mourjan Business lounge, or if you have a very long connection and need a bedroom, then the Al Safwa First lounge. You could also consider a stopover in Qatar itself either both ways or one way, which would add to the experience.

Last edited by Genius1; Feb 19, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Old Feb 19, 2021, 11:18 am
Original Poster

A bit confused as to how the BA and Qatar Airways partnership works. Can I book and pay for LHR to HKG, and return from SIN to LHR, both via DOH and operated by QR, through the BA website and booking system? Reason is that I have a £350 BA eVoucher to use up.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Do a dummy booking on BA.com? I’d turn the evoucher back to cash the convoluted way and book however you please
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
A bit confused as to how the BA and Qatar Airways partnership works. Can I book and pay for LHR to HKG, and return from SIN to LHR, both via DOH and operated by QR, through the BA website and booking system? Reason is that I have a £350 BA eVoucher to use up.
QR and BA have a JV on LON-DOH and also DOH-Australia and codeshare on some other destinations in SE Asia.

The online booking system won't allow you to do that since BA has a direct flight themselves, doesn't codeshare on QR to HKG (not sure about SIN), and if you want a connection prefers to route you on other routes like BKK and then on CX or the Japan JV with JAL or CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.