Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

July 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

July 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Our original SAN-LHR-GVA RT has been changed so many times, we have lost count. Now routed on AA for 3 of 6 flights. We now are SAN-DFW-LHR-GVA outbound on July 14, with our original return date of July 29. Got word last night that the sole GVA-LHR flight on July 29 (BA727) was cancelled. A new flight was added (BA731) departing 3+ hours later. Unfortunately, this causes us to miss our connecting flight from LHR to DFW. No other options present except to route home GVA-MAD-DFW-SAN. Then the agent remarked that BA727 was still running on July 30 and asked if we could return home 1 day later than planned. I asked her if that flight was likely to be canned in the next round of changes. She remarked that the flight was heavily sold out with only 7 seats remaining. She felt due to that fact, an operational change was less likely to happen. We accepted the change returning home a day later than originally planned. Any opinions out there if this flight will be cancelled in the next round or 2 of cancellations? It feels like a crap shoot. Also, Swiss Air has earlier flights in the day from GVA to LHR that would allow us to make our connection. Does anyone know if BA ever rebooks connecting flights on Swiss? We weren't offered any option with them. So I assume the answer is no.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:10 pm

LHR-IST 28 July

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
All Turkey routes has been cancelled until 1 August 2021.
Interestingly, Pegasus Airlines would start flying x3 weekly SAW-LHR in July while BA is deciding to cancel all flights on this route ( IST-LHR )
Yep, just notified LHR - IST. 28 July cancelled.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by tonetone28; Jun 27, 2021 at 8:13 pm Reason: Correction
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:27 pm

My flight from Phx-Lhr-bucharest for July 30th got canceled and the only option for rebooking was for August 2nd, the earliest available. I really need to be in Bucharest by Aug 3rd as we scheduled a trip with family from over there. From reading this thread I understand that rebooking on BA is very uncertain, as it could get canceled again. Am I right to believe that my safest option to make it to Bucharest on time is to call BA and ask to be rebooked on an AA flight that leaves on July 30th as I was first scheduled? Do I still have this option if I already rebooked for Aug 2nd
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LisaDam
My flight from Phx-Lhr-bucharest for July 30th got canceled and the only option for rebooking was for August 2nd, the earliest available. I really need to be in Bucharest by Aug 3rd as we scheduled a trip with family from over there. From reading this thread I understand that rebooking on BA is very uncertain, as it could get canceled again. Am I right to believe that my safest option to make it to Bucharest on time is to call BA and ask to be rebooked on an AA flight that leaves on July 30th as I was first scheduled? Do I still have this option if I already rebooked for Aug 2nd
Hi ​​​LisaDam and welcome to FlyerTalk!

If you have already rebooked on the option departing on August 2, your subsequent changes would be made according to the fare rules and any fare difference may apply.

I don't see any AA operated PHX-LHR flight on the 30th but if you call BA, they would be able to rebook you on PHX-DFW ( AA ) & DFW-LHR-OTP on BA and there is availability for this combination on the 30th.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by spgaston
Will BA accommodate me SFO-LAX-MAD-BER? My booking is with AS.
I don't care about connecting in LHR.
Also I'm currently in WT+/PE class looks like IB doesn't offer LAX-MAD.
A bit OT but I'd avoid LHR completely unless you want to quarantine for 2 weeks in Germany. As I understand the current rules, transiting even airside counts as "visiting" the UK, which is currently an area of virus variant of concern:

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268

ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mustafina
A bit OT but I'd avoid LHR completely unless you want to quarantine for 2 weeks in Germany. As I understand the current rules, transiting even airside counts as "visiting" the UK, which is currently an area of virus variant of concern:

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268

Exemptions from the requirement to quarantine apply in particular to persons – except those travelling from areas of variant of concern – who:
  • have merely passed through a risk area or high incidence area (not an area of variant of concern) without a stopover,

and the rules are quite consisent. last time i checked, the airside part of LHR was within the United Kingdom.

In German its even clearer:Von der Quarantänepflicht sind -außer bei Virusvariantengebieten- insbesondere ausgenommen Personen, die
  • lediglich durch ein Risikogebiet oder Hochinzidenzgebiet (nicht Virusvariantengebiet) durchgereist sind und dort kein Zwischenaufenthalt hatten,
if its an area of variant of concern youre not exempt from the quarantine. If I read this correctly
spgaston and mustafina like this.

Last edited by Nephoi; Jun 28, 2021 at 1:18 am
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:49 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by savuti94
Our original SAN-LHR-GVA RT has been changed so many times, we have lost count. Now routed on AA for 3 of 6 flights. We now are SAN-DFW-LHR-GVA outbound on July 14, with our original return date of July 29. Got word last night that the sole GVA-LHR flight on July 29 (BA727) was cancelled. A new flight was added (BA731) departing 3+ hours later. Unfortunately, this causes us to miss our connecting flight from LHR to DFW. No other options present except to route home GVA-MAD-DFW-SAN. Then the agent remarked that BA727 was still running on July 30 and asked if we could return home 1 day later than planned. I asked her if that flight was likely to be canned in the next round of changes. She remarked that the flight was heavily sold out with only 7 seats remaining. She felt due to that fact, an operational change was less likely to happen. We accepted the change returning home a day later than originally planned. Any opinions out there if this flight will be cancelled in the next round or 2 of cancellations? It feels like a crap shoot. Also, Swiss Air has earlier flights in the day from GVA to LHR that would allow us to make our connection. Does anyone know if BA ever rebooks connecting flights on Swiss? We weren't offered any option with them. So I assume the answer is no.
BA won't interline you to Swiss. Since you're flying from europe to the US, it's a JBA route so BA should be ok to rebook you onto AA or IB. If I were you, I'd ask for Iberia 3489 at 07:30 GVA-MAD, connecting to AA 37 MAD-DFW @11:05 on the 29th...

I don't understand the GVA & ZRH cancellations in light of the Swiss government dropping all quarantine & test requirements for UK arrivals who are fully vaccinated from today. It'd one of the most favourable regimes for outbound UK travellers right now.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I just had my VIE-LHR start to a transatlantic trip on July 24 canceled. Canceled the who trip and rebooked on Austrian. I am now 0-4 in 2021 - all four bookings canceled. I have one more left at this point. I don't see how I can maintain gold in 2022 unless they extend status.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
LUX got zeroed out the whole JULY
Old Jun 28, 2021, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
I don't understand the GVA & ZRH cancellations in light of the Swiss government dropping all quarantine & test requirements for UK arrivals who are fully vaccinated from today. It'd one of the most favourable regimes for outbound UK travellers right now.
Add BSL to the list. I think the majority of travellers to Switzerland are, or were, business related apart from during ski season. Even Easyjet has stopped flying to BSL from mid July to September, although they do have a (sparse) service to ZRH in August.

Switzerland is a good place to visit, sure, but it doesn't attract stays of more than a few days (lakeside bars are no match for beachside ones!). People aren't likely to come for 2 or 3 days of mountain hiking to then have to isolate for 10 days on return, plus the three tests.

It is a bit irritating that they changed from 3 or 4 flights a day to zero, which seems very extreme, but I guess it's cheaper for BA to throw people on furlough or unpaid leave than run a few flights a week.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Generally cancellations are made until 15 days before the flight, if BA intends to cancel that service.

I guess that you'll see a cancellation notice in your inbox within a few days.
Yes, it's now cancelled.........
Old Jun 28, 2021, 4:48 am

Programs: BA
Just had my Bilbao return flights cancelled. Was due to fly out on 19th July and return one week later.
Gutted to say the least and to only have three week's notice.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:10 am

Hi ​​​LisaDam and welcome to FlyerTalk!

If you have already rebooked on the option departing on August 2, your subsequent changes would be made according to the fare rules and any fare difference may apply.

I don't see any AA operated PHX-LHR flight on the 30th but if you call BA, they would be able to rebook you on PHX-DFW ( AA ) & DFW-LHR-OTP on BA and there is availability for this combination on the 30th.
I tried calling in and the automated system says they do not take calls currently due to high call volume. What is going on??

On "manage my booking" I only have an option to get a refund, I do not have an option to change my flights.

This is so messed up. At the time I purchased this ticket I would have been able to buy from a different airline for the same amount, now its double the price. I had no idea BA had these huge problems completing their flights. I guess I am in the limbo now, waiting to see what happens. And meanwhile I cannot plan other trips as I dont even know if this flight will happen.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
Flights to BLQ are due to resume on 3 July which seems really odd as they've all been cancelled this year so far.
It seems an odd time to reintroduce the flights considering Italy have introduced a 5 day quarantine for UK arrivals.
I have BLQ-LHR-BLQ booked departing on the 3 July back on the 4th. It's a booking that has already been moved multiple times due to cancellations but although I'd love to step on a BA plane after months of cancellations I think it'll be more hassle than it's worth.

I'm not sure if I should try and move it now or hope for a last minute cancellation then I can move without worrying about fare difference.

During COVID can BA cancel at short notice without the need to pay compensation?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by SaveECRewards
Flights to BLQ are due to resume on 3 July which seems really odd as they've all been cancelled this year so far.
It seems an odd time to reintroduce the flights considering Italy have introduced a 5 day quarantine for UK arrivals.
I have BLQ-LHR-BLQ booked departing on the 3 July back on the 4th. It's a booking that has already been moved multiple times due to cancellations but although I'd love to step on a BA plane after months of cancellations I think it'll be more hassle than it's worth.

I'm not sure if I should try and move it now or hope for a last minute cancellation then I can move without worrying about fare difference.

During COVID can BA cancel at short notice without the need to pay compensation?
Hi,

They can cancel at short notice and then you could try claiming for compensation ( BA could then claim it is extraordinary circumstances but IIRC they would have to prove it if you pursued the claim.).

I think you could cancel now and get a FTV for the value then rebook at your convenience to any destination

Regards

TBS
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.