Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

May 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

May 2021 flight cancellations and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In these difficult times, BA continues to excel. My wife [not me, as lead passenger] has just received am email changing the first leg of our JER-LHR-PHX in May. It was originally JER-LGW. However, we have been kindly re-booked onto a flight that arrives at LHR 40 minutes AFTER the PHX flight departs!! As HMG won't let us travel anyway, I shall wait for a proper cancellation of the whole trip by BA Holidays. I'm glad I have managed to retain a sense of humour.

Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by zanderblue
I guess I just couldn’t get my head around that they would proactively shut down a revenue stream for new bookings. I would imagine they have modelled the amount of FTV refunds v income from new bookings and selected the most lucrative?
But if BA thinks that in all probability the flight will not operate, then it probably isn't really a revenue stream at all. All that BA would be getting from new bookings is a short-term loan. And it does cost money to process refunds and deal with complaints.

It's different when looking at bookings that were made earlier, at a time when BA thought that the flight might well operate. And the duration of the loan, in those cases, would on average be longer.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by T8191
In these difficult times, BA continues to excel. My wife [not me, as lead passenger] has just received am email changing the first leg of our JER-LHR-PHX in May. It was originally JER-LGW. However, we have been kindly re-booked onto a flight that arrives at LHR 40 minutes AFTER the PHX flight departs!!
You've been around here long enough to know that a flight change of this kind is typically done automatically as an immediate response to the cancellation of the original flight, and that the robotics catch up with and deal with misconnects after a period of time.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You've been around here long enough to know that a flight change of this kind is typically done automatically as an immediate response to the cancellation of the original flight, and that the robotics catch up with and deal with misconnects after a period of time.
Oh, true, although why the email went to my wife was the first annoyance!

Anyway, further to my post #21, I've just had a text from BA Hols giving me a link [which does't work on my cheap phone] giving me until noon on Friday 12th to make a selection I can't make, after which they will cancel and refund the booking ... which suits us fine. The text explains at the outset that holiday travel is not permitted in the time-frame of the booking, which of course we knew. At least the auto-cancellation and refund saves me waiting on a phone line for ages.

Note to self: Investigate cost etc. of expensive smartphone I don't need but is now seemingly demanded by BA, Gov.uk, Gov.je and everyone else on the planet as there's no credible alternative to do business these days! [/rant]

Supplemental.
Auto-cancellation completed, BAA Hols refunded to Amex on 16th.
zanderblue, jonkx and EDIwanderer like this.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 17, 2021 at 6:19 am
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
Likes like BA are already canning flights into June, BA560 on 4th June has been cancelled.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yet another cancellation in my MEX itinerary; this time the last segment, LHR-CPH. Long time ago the CPH-LHR flight was also cancelled and a few days later LHR-MEX was removed from the itinerary as the rebooked CPH-LHR flight lead to a LHR connection time less than MCT.

This time I have been rebooked on the earlier LHR-CPH flight which means that I will now depart for CPH 5 hours earlier than arriving from MEX Go figure BA IT system! Why not rebook me automatically on the later LHR-CPH flight rather than the earlier? I bet it is only a matter of days before BA will also remove my MEX-LHR leg due to otherwise misconnecting at LHR (rather than the obvious, rebooking me on the later LHR-CPH flight)

Anyway, I'm not going to Mexico in May so I really don't care/not going to do anything about it other than watching how this plays out.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, true, although why the email went to my wife was the first annoyance!

Anyway, further to my post #21, I've just had a text from BA Hols giving me a link [which does't work on my cheap phone] giving me until noon on Friday 12th to make a selection I can't make, after which they will cancel and refund the booking ... which suits us fine. The text explains at the outset that holiday travel is not permitted in the time-frame of the booking, which of course we knew. At least the auto-cancellation and refund saves me waiting on a phone line for ages.

Note to self: Investigate cost etc. of expensive smartphone I don't need but is now seemingly demanded by BA, Gov.uk, Gov.je and everyone else on the planet as there's no credible alternative to do business these days! [/rant]
There is nothing to stop you travelling on holiday as a resident of Jersey, the legislation doesn't cover non resident passengers in transit. Although of course the US Govt may not allow you in...
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by brithk; Mar 8, 2021 at 9:37 am Reason: addition
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:30 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by tedmak
I got an email from BA this morning cancelling a flight to Lisbon (another was available for the same day) and flights to and from Manchester were both cancelled (others on same day were available).

As a slight divergence - any word on whether flights to/from Gatwick are going to ramp up?
There is a full suite of flights for Amsterdam in June but I guess they will be switched to Heathrow?
As it happens, London Air Travel on twitter has just said BA is moving all Gatwick flights bar Glasgow to LHR until the end of the month.
I notice they are not bookable, either, on the app.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Gatwick to Lanzarote and back just changed from LGW to LHR end of May returning early June, voucher applied for. Hotel had already been cancelled so a good result.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by tedmak
As it happens, London Air Travel on twitter has just said BA is moving all Gatwick flights bar Glasgow to LHR until the end of the month.
I notice they are not bookable, either, on the app.
And voila!!! The email arrives moving the flight to LHR. I wanted to fly from there, anyway, so just saves me a few quid.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Gatwick to Rhodes on June 7th just cancelled. No other information provided.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
Gatwick to Rhodes on June 7th just cancelled. No other information provided.
Porto to Gatwich 1st June cancelled with no option from LGW or LHR offered for the rest of the month
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
So my MIA-LHR-CDG now leaves 30min connection time at LHR (due to May schedule change - there's only one LHR-CDG flight per day now).

I assume this isn't conceived as a legal minimum connection time? The next BA flight is the following day, which would force the change to be greater than 4hrs (by quite some!)

Just figuring out options before I phone, as I want to cancel with cash refund. It's AA issued but a BA change. AA's system tends to be 24-48hrs slower in noticing such issues, so thinking I might try and get ahead of the curve on the phone.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:32 am

Simple question.

I have a trip to Istanbul in May that I have just been emailed that has been cancelled.
I have been offered flights for a different time of the day.
How long do I have to accept these flight?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
So my MIA-LHR-CDG now leaves 30min connection time at LHR (due to May schedule change - there's only one LHR-CDG flight per day now).

I assume this isn't conceived as a legal minimum connection time? The next BA flight is the following day, which would force the change to be greater than 4hrs (by quite some!)

Just figuring out options before I phone, as I want to cancel with cash refund. It's AA issued but a BA change. AA's system tends to be 24-48hrs slower in noticing such issues, so thinking I might try and get ahead of the curve on the phone.
yes that wouldn’t be an allowable connection. A refund should be possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.