Merging two Avios bookings into one?

Old Feb 17, 21, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VA
Merging two Avios bookings into one?

Hi,

Still doing some "strategising" for booking our UK-SYD flights for which the seats should open next weekend. As CW seats appear to be almost impossible to obtain even on the stroke of midnight, I was looking at the option of booking MAN-LHR-SIN in CW as the seats are released, then if CW seats for SIN-SYD become available at a later date, booking these.

This does mean that instead of using 125k Avios (2 of us with Companion Voucher) for a MAN-LHR-SYD booking, it would require 89k Avios for MAN-LHR-SIN plus a further 100k Avios for SIN-SYD.

However, I was wondering (hoping!!) that if I did book the two sectors separately, could I then have them combined into a single booking, and as such, be able to claw back the Avios difference between the two separate bookings (189k) and a single booking (125k)?

Would be grateful for any advice/experiences of booking this way.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 17, 21, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
No, this cannot be done, to my knowledge.
Anonba likes this.
Old Feb 17, 21, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
No. The negative is the higher Avios cost is relevant. The positive is when a cash booking, you get the higher Tier Point earnings of separate legs
Old Feb 17, 21, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
No chance of merging the bookings, I'm afraid. The only way of doing it would be to cancel and re-book, subject to availability, which as you know, probably won't exist.
Old Feb 17, 21, 3:27 am

If you're booking online at the stroke of midnight, I'd maybe go for LHR-SYD only, those few seconds of adding MAN and it maybe failing / not offering availability could cost you too !
Old Feb 17, 21, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I suspected as much, but always worth asking!!

Having looked at the alternatives available, I have sufficient VA Miles that I could use to book Singapore Airlines for the SIN-SYD leg. If I booked the daytime flight the following day, it would give some contingency should the inbound BA flight be delayed, plus the chance to experience the airport. Alternatively, I've calculated that if I paid for PE on SQ, hypothetically the cost would be less than the purchase price for 100,000 Avios (c£1,500) in CW on BA plus the £300 taxes. This wouldn't be a problem in PE during the day, plus it would mean I then had sufficient Avios to return via Tokyo on JAL in PE (daytime flight) , then Tokyo-LHR-MAN in CW to keep my good lady happy.

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
If you're booking online at the stroke of midnight, I'd maybe go for LHR-SYD only, those few seconds of adding MAN and it maybe failing / not offering availability could cost you too !
I have been trying the LHR-SYD option only for some time now, but the problem seems to be that the BA website is so slow to respond that by the time I have managed to refresh the screen to show the new booking date, CW has always gone for the full route. I suspect I may be calling BA over in the USA to try and get seats!!
Old Feb 17, 21, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Whatís the collective view on the SYD-HND-LHR route with JAL in W?

Hard product looks good but the downsides are a morning departure from SYD and an overnight stay in Tokyo is required. Flip side is its 2 day flights and thereís some good W fares going in Jan.

Iím looking at an avios fare out to Aus and a cash one way back from SYD. BA is coming in at c. £1,200 with the 12/16 shuffle in SIN and can be fully refunded for 20AUD.

For other routes I think most would agree to hold off on maybe bookings, but with reduced capacity, I think prices are going to shoot up for the traditional Aussie peak period once they announce the release of the shackles.
Old Feb 17, 21, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by tonymc View Post

I have been trying the LHR-SYD option only for some time now, but the problem seems to be that the BA website is so slow to respond that by the time I have managed to refresh the screen to show the new booking date, CW has always gone for the full route. I suspect I may be calling BA over in the USA to try and get seats!!
I suspect with the sheer volume of 241 & FTVs kicking around that people are booking on the phone and the agent nabbing them before you've completed the transaction. I imagine it's going to be more phone calls going forwards which is not ideal at all !
Old Feb 17, 21, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cameramaker View Post
Whatís the collective view on the SYD-HND-LHR route with JAL in W?

Hard product looks good but the downsides are a morning departure from SYD and an overnight stay in Tokyo is required. Flip side is its 2 day flights and thereís some good W fares going in Jan.

Iím looking at an avios fare out to Aus and a cash one way back from SYD. BA is coming in at c. £1,200 with the 12/16 shuffle in SIN and can be fully refunded for 20AUD.

For other routes I think most would agree to hold off on maybe bookings, but with reduced capacity, I think prices are going to shoot up for the traditional Aussie peak period once they announce the release of the shackles.
Our plan is similar - to redeem in PE on JAL between SYD-HND on the daytime flight, then 2 nights in Tokyo so a full day on the Saturday for sightseeing, but returning on BA HND-LHR-MAN, again a daytime flight, so minimising jet lag. This should allow us to use the Companion Voucher on an Open Jaw booking as the distance SYD-HND is less than either of the MAN-SIN (or SYD if lucky!!) or the HND-MAN flights.

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
I suspect with the sheer volume of 241 & FTVs kicking around that people are booking on the phone and the agent nabbing them before you've completed the transaction. I imagine it's going to be more phone calls going forwards which is not ideal at all !
Luckily my PAYG SIM only costs 3p/min to the USA!!!!
Old Feb 18, 21, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just one further query (promise!!) along the same lines - if I did manage to book MAN-LHR-SIN, then availability for SIN-SYD came up connecting on the same day at SIN, would BA be able to reticket the two bookings as a single flight in order to safeguard the connection, and also to avoid having to reclaim and recheck hold baggage? I would in any event book the earlier BA011 flight that arrives around 15:50, connecting to BA015 departing 20:10.

I suspect again that I already know the answer will be no, but nothing lost by double checking!!!!!
Old Feb 18, 21, 4:05 am

I’ve flown JAL longhaul and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. Even Y was decent enough, I imagine any higher cabin would be more than comfortable. But for me a bonus is time in Japan, whether it’s lunch in Narita village or a weekend in the city.
Old Feb 18, 21, 4:06 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just one further query (promise!!) along the same lines - if I did manage to book MAN-LHR-SIN, then availability for SIN-SYD came up connecting on the same day at SIN, would BA be able to reticket the two bookings as a single flight in order to safeguard the connection, and also to avoid having to reclaim and recheck hold baggage? I would in any event book the earlier BA011 flight that arrives around 15:50, connecting to BA015 departing 20:10.

I suspect again that I already know the answer will be no, but nothing lost by double checking!!!!!
You cant merge or re ticket separate bookings as one. Once booked as separates they remain that way and cant be changed.
Old Feb 18, 21, 4:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't see flights to Australia actually operating for quite some time, given they are effectively Covid zero and presumably want to stay like that. But leaving that to one side, for the OP the best thing would be to book LHR-SYD rather than any other arrangement. If necessary book MAN-LON separately, since that can be easily managed. Otherwise make a virtue of it by having an overnight in Singapore such that separate ticketing is less problematic.
Old Feb 18, 21, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for confirming. If I can't get CW on the through flight, I'll book MAN-LHR-SYD then overnight at the airport, and use VA miles or pay for a SQ daytime flight onwards to Sydney. Hopefully by next February, travel to Aus will be allowed again!!!
Old Feb 18, 21, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again for confirming. If I can't get CW on the through flight, I'll book MAN-LHR-SYD then overnight at the airport, and use VA miles or pay for a SQ daytime flight onwards to Sydney. Hopefully by next February, travel to Aus will be allowed again!!!
VA is Virgin Australia, who have stopped international flights and no longer have long haul aircraft
VS is Virgin Atlantic.
By Feb 2022 would hope there is more international travel into/out of Australia. But would not bet on that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: