Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying BA to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

flying BA to Italy

Does anyone have any experience on taking BA to FCO within the last month? Reading it appears that you need to have a COVID test on Arrival at the airport? How does this work? Do they do it as you get off the aircraft or somewhere else. Also do you have to pay for it or prebook the test?

Also I read that you cannot take public transport can you still rent a car to get to your destination? Many thanks

Last edited by tjinus; Feb 13, 2021 at 9:07 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by tjinus
Does anyone have any experience on taking BA to FCO within the last month? Reading it appears that you need to have a COVID test on Arrival at the airport? How does this work? Do they do it as you get off the aircraft or somewhere else. Also do you have to pay for it or prebook the test?

Also I read that you cannot take public transport can you still rent a car to get to your destination? Many thanks
Travellers visiting or transiting through the UK in the 14-day period prior to their entry to Italy are allowed entry to Italy only if resident in the country since before 23 December 2020 or for essential reasons.

If you're not an Italian resident then you might want to reconsider flying with another airline as you're likely to run into trouble here. Reading your other thread you're in transit overnight at LHR from LAX before travelling onwards the next day to FCO. As you will need to clear UK immigration for your night in transit, you will be considered as having been in the UK in the 14 days prior to entering Italy.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, I am a registered resident in Italy and understand the requirements. Just looking for anyone with direct experience of the COVID test on arrival at FCO and if you are allowed to rent a car. I live 3 hours from Rome so without being able to use public transport my only option is to rent a car.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:34 pm

You can either have your test done prior to flying or, indeed, on arrival. In Rome this summer it worked as follows: upon arrival there were signs for the COVID-19 testing area, which was in the immediate vicinity of the baggage reclaim area. When I arrived there we were shepherded there by soldiers. I'm not too sure of whether that is still active or not, I can ask around.

What I'm reasonably sure of is that the Regione Lazio has created a drive-thru testing area, accessible with a free shuttle bus from the airport, open from 8 to 20 every day.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by 13901
You can either have your test done prior to flying or, indeed, on arrival.
No, the rules were changed for UK arrivals. The passenger needs BOTH a test prior to flying, as well as one upon arrival (which can be either done at the airport or arranged through the local public healthcare). Free of charge in both cases. Then it’s 14 days of self isolation regardless of the test result.

Unfortunately I don’t know the answer to the OP’s question on the possibility of renting a car.
13901 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.