Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
BA have historically dipped in and out of the LGW -JFK route.. it was certainly flying early 1990s as I had friends that used it!!
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
BA have historically dipped in and out of the LGW -JFK route.. it was certainly flying early 1990s as I had friends that used it!!
Yes, inherited from BCAL, dropped, came back, dropped, came back, dropped again!
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:37 am

767 if I remember correctly, pre 9/11 then Dropped after 9/11, brought back, around 2008ish on a 4 class 777, totally wrong config, ended up regularly being heavily oversold in M with large numbers of invol upgrades. Often very large numbers of Italian originating pax connecting.

Dropped again.

restarted again with a 3 class 777, in reaction to DY probably, did pretty well loads wise in M/W less so in J

dropped again due covid and Although never say never, I can’t see BA being in a rush to bring it back.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:10 am

I guess BA will wait and see how well Norse Atlantic beds in on the route and react accordingly if they feel the need to. Otherwise the days of competing against other LGW carriers are well and truly over - at least for the time being.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by fbrj
Our flights LGW-UVF-LGW for 10 July returning 31 July have been cancelled and replaced with LHR-UVF-LHR on the same dates but with slightly different timings which happen to suit us slightly better.
On the new outbound J booked seats we have no option to change seats from our original booking, which remain the same numbers but on the return our seats have changed (and we could change again if we wanted).

Interestingly, our return is on a 777 with a seat configuration 8F 49J which according to BASource is a refurbished aircraft with flat bed suites - which is a definite improvement and a first for us!
Our LGW - UVF flights on Thu 29 Jul have disappeared completely, the booking doesn't exist according to the app and website. No alternative offered. I wonder if all the Thursday flights are cancelled? It is booked through Sandals so I guess we'll have to wait for the systems to catch up.... Good job my LGW hotel is a flexible booking.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Speedbirdsouth
thanks for the update. That’s positive.

interesting the double drop destinations are now on the ANU rather than the UVF. I guess the 2xLHRUVF covers off the lack of F on the route now LGW 777s are three class only.

I believe there are 11? 32J densified 777 Converted for LGW useable pre covid so IF the above, or close to it does happen that will keep most of those busy. Here’s hoping for some positivity this summer allowing BA LGW to look ahead and plan for the coming winter season and summer 2022.

but then with covid, god knows
Yes, there are 11 densified 777 in the fleet. They are:

G-VIIO/G-VIIP/G-VIIR/G-VIIT/G-VIIU/G-VIIX- Configured 32J/52W/252Y

G-YMMB/G-YMMC/G-YMMD/G-YMME/G-YMMF - Configured 32J/48W/252Y

BA plan to use two aircraft at LHR for S21. MCO is planned to operated by aircraft with 52W seats and ISB with a aircraft with 48W.
TedToToe and Speedbirdsouth like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: bearnews
We can but hope

Hopefully BA will decide to drop Gatwick and let us all use the wonderful Heathrow. Time for one london hub and that time is now!
omk298 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Aiofe Bear
Hopefully BA will decide to drop Gatwick and let us all use the wonderful Heathrow. Time for one london hub and that time is now!
Don't swear like that!!!
Skipcool3, T8191, AmaaiZeg and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:54 pm
A13

Programs: BA Silver
no
Skipcool3, T8191, AmaaiZeg and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 2:32 pm

im guessing thats what BA would prefer also, but there just wouldn't be the capacity once we return to normal and the overspill and low cost competition will return in due course. I expect the F lounge to be ‘enhanced’ and merged as a token Gold gesture. This idea of UK domestic expanded connections into LGW won't see light of day either.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gw76
im guessing thats what BA would prefer also, but there just wouldn't be the capacity once we return to normal and the overspill and low cost competition will return in due course. I expect the F lounge to be ‘enhanced’ and merged as a token Gold gesture. This idea of UK domestic expanded connections into LGW won't see light of day either.
What do you mean the F lounge merged as a token Gold gesture? Gold use F already at LGW?
Speedbirdsouth likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Excuse you? Gatwick is vital to a huge number of people, Heathrow is not the be at and end all. BA would be daft to drop LGW. To state that Heathrow is a ‘London’ Hub is questionable in itself.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
What is so wonderful about Heathrow?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
What is so wonderful about Heathrow?
Its 15 mins to my parents house

Its also a modern, clean, efficient airport.

Having flown MAN-LHR-MAN this weekend its chalk and cheese how good LHR is and how bad MAN is....I don't recall LGW being that great - it has been a few years since I used it however.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
I don't recall LGW being that great - it has been a few years since I used it however.
You should give it a whirl sometime.
I was skeptical when BA moved from North to South Terminal but the reality is it works very well from a passenger perspective - great rail links to Berkshire too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.