Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
..................I also have seen some messages and information from BA and to me it doesn’t seem like they’ve said Gatwick may not open again. It seemed to be, we don’t know when we will be able to resume operations again (aka when will this be over). Probably more of a story to get readers.

A story to get readers ........

How else - other than a clear indication of the very real possibility that BA’s services from LGW may never return - should we interpret these words ;

In the memo to Gatwick's staff, the company says: "As you know, we suspended our Gatwick flying schedule at the start of April and there is no certainty as to when or if these services can or will return."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52489013
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:23 am

The airline sent an email to all Union reps for all areas with the same messages (albeit with different points on job losses, T&Cs and so on). All emails had this line:

Unfortunately, there are no clear signs of improvement in air passenger demand. In the last week we operated fewer than 5 per-cent of our normal operating schedule. Our Gatwick and London City operations are now closed and there is no certainty as to when these services can return. We have not ruled out suspending the remainder of our Heathrow operation. EasyJet, Ryanair and Virgin have ceased passenger operations and other major competitors have announced permanent structural cuts.
To me it's not quite the same thing as saying "LGW to close"?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 13901
The airline sent an email to all Union reps for all areas with the same messages (albeit with different points on job losses, T&Cs and so on). All emails had this line:

To me it's not quite the same thing as saying "LGW to close"?
This is what I saw, and to me doesn’t indicate closure.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
If the UK had some more forward thinking Leaders, as we had in years passed, we would now begin the Works for a second runway at Gatwick. It will take years, so go for it NOW!!
allturnleft likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i mean it is just splitting hairs when talking about a short or long term "closure" or however you want to phrase it for LGW.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
If the UK had some more forward thinking Leaders, as we had in years passed, we would now begin the Works for a second runway at Gatwick. It will take years, so go for it NOW!!
That makes no sense at all. Anyone at Gatwick who can get into LHR will be going for THAT. Gatwick remains an overflow, a waiting room. There was only one place with any business case for the new runway, LHR, which was what the independent review said.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club
As a Northerner using BA holidays to the Caribbean, I can’t say I would be disappointed if the move to Heathrow was longer term. I mean, I could at least use the shuttle!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
OT but no, he won't. That isn't how financing projects like this work. HS2 is being funded by what is effectively a mortgage on its infrastructure. If it doesn't get built, the money doesn't exist
Very good...but I assume that the project will ultimately have to produce sufficient revenue flow to fund the debt in question...otherwise the taxpayer will no doubt have to pickup the tab

So its a gamble on the economics of the project...in 20 years time...or less if a Carillion scandal ensues...

Chris
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone have an insight or some data into the top routes at LGW? I’m just wondering which ones will be top candidates to move up.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Many of Gatwick’s routes are to bucket & spade destinations so if they all move to LHR, fares will rise as the costs are higher. Will customers pay higher fares, or will they just stay with the LCCs remaining at Gatwick?
AdamUK likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Does anyone have an insight or some data into the top routes at LGW? I’m just wondering which ones will be top candidates to move up.
I would be interested in this too aswell as the lowest routes which are most likely to cease.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969
Many of Gatwick’s routes are to bucket & spade destinations so if they all move to LHR, fares will rise as the costs are higher. Will customers pay higher fares, or will they just stay with the LCCs remaining at Gatwick?
Alot of these routes wont exist in their current guise.

Would expect significant route trimming
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by London21

Off to look at the orange website then!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by London21

things will get back to old normal eventually- despite the way it seems now. Covid is here to stay despite the political bs about ‘defeating it’. (Which is both ill-advised and a lie as things stand today vis a vis vaccines.)

The issue then won’t be physical distancing-, but simply that most of the leisure market will be too impoverished even for those with a job for holidays overseas. This is going to be a deep but also long recession. So why would BA serve a market that has shrunk so much?

WFH and zoom etc will kill large chunks of the business travel market - where its fares were absurdly above acceptable (I recall a BA corporate rate three times higher than the United rate to NYC, but since the head of that division flew BA so he had points to take the kids to Dubai BA got the fare. That just won’t happen anymore when internal audit questions any high priced travel.)

So it seems reasonable that The golden goose of long haul J BA has milked for years will be much smaller. It’s behaviour on refunds has likely p1ssed off its leisure markets who will book much later in future, if at all, so much reduced demand, collapsed market share means what’s left probably does all end up at Heathrow.. worse, assume the AA/BA jba is not permitted to repeat again by the CMA then even on US routes BA is toast compared to the AA product. Now imagine the grinning beardy jumper goes bust and JetBlue buy virgin’s Heathrow slots and BA has got a huge problem and will probably all fit in T5A.

So, what replaces it at Gatwick will be interesting- my money would be on Wizz - who have the costs, brand and fares that might still work for what will become, after a hard brexit, a middle income nation in decline.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DFB_london
The issue then won’t be physical distancing-, but simply that most of the leisure market will be too impoverished even for those with a job for holidays overseas. This is going to be a deep but also long recession. So why would BA serve a market that has shrunk so much?
exactly. there are loads of other posts saying while business travel may take some time to rebound, its ok because loads of people (including under 30) will just be waiting in the wings to jet off on hols! in my view thats missing the larger issue that this will possibly be one of the largest recessions ever known--so counting on "all of those holiday makers" to drive traffic is a laugh because so many may not even have a job, or government assistance to help with day to day living expenses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.