Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Oh well...at least the good news is that this has all (very finally) put an end to the debate on whether or not a new runway should be built...looks like Boris made the right call.
Chris

By the time a runway would be built traffic levels are likely to be up again so I'm not sure that's right.....
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I am sure it will re-open in some shape of form at some point. It will be a reduced and limited service initially but will build back up over a period of months and years. Indeed, given that Gatters is less dependent on business travel than LHR, it may even be better placed to bounce back. I don't think the good British people are that keen on staycations (notwithstanding the beautiful countryside we have) and you certainly can/t get tanned or Brahms & Liszt via Zoom
Cris L, BOH, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I don't think the good British people are that keen on staycations (notwithstanding the beautiful countryside we have) and you certainly can/t get tanned or Brahms & Liszt via Zoom
You're right but if there's one thing British people love move than a week in the sun, it's "free" healthcare, something they may only be able to obtain with a staycation..

I'm not sure what limitations are on the EHIC now but I would expect travel insurance/medical cover will be very big limiting factor that will be pushing lots of people towards a staycation this year.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Presumably this is another nail in the coffin of the 737Max "order" from IAG.
AdamUK, wrp96 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC
I don’t think BA will leave LGW. We’ve been here before and they just trim back the network and make a few cost cutting changes. I think it would be a short sighted move, especially given how many slots they’ve recently picked up at Gatwick.

There will be demand for holidays after this, as most will have missed their summer holiday this year, and BA will want to tap into this market. It was after the financial crisis in 2008 that BA launched the Maldives and Punta Cana to get into the premium leisure market. A few will probably move to LHR, some others cut, but ultimately I think it will still be the main bucket and spade base.

I also have seen some messages and information from BA and to me it doesn’t seem like they’ve said Gatwick may not open again. It seemed to be, we don’t know when we will be able to resume operations again (aka when will this be over). Probably more of a story to get readers.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Makes sense to hibernate at the moment
Remove as many cost centres as possible
Get rid of staff , remove infrastructure
When the green shoots appear almost start from scratch , this probably works out cheaper
in the long run

LGW ltd must be nervous though?? They will probably need bailing out
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAeuro
I don’t think BA will leave LGW. We’ve been here before and they just trim back the network and make a few cost cutting changes. I think it would be a short sighted move, especially given how many slots they’ve recently picked up at Gatwick.

There will be demand for holidays after this, as most will have missed their summer holiday this year, and BA will want to tap into this market. It was after the financial crisis in 2008 that BA launched the Maldives and Punta Cana to get into the premium leisure market. A few will probably move to LHR, some others cut, but ultimately I think it will still be the main bucket and spade base.

I also have seen some messages and information from BA and to me it doesn’t seem like they’ve said Gatwick may not open again. It seemed to be, we don’t know when we will be able to resume operations again (aka when will this be over). Probably more of a story to get readers.
I really hope you are right and they are trying to get Governement support as it will mean more redundancies for staff at the airport too in shops and security etc etc. I read people are booking/transferring lots of summer holidays to later in the year as they still want to go away at some point me included, and that business trips may suffer more due to people finding new ways of working.
Can anyone explain to me how the slots work eg I am interested in our flight LGW to PFO in September, if Gatwick closes can BA transfer this to LHR or do they lose the landing slot at PFO altogether? Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:18 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by paulaf
I really hope you are right and they are trying to get Governement support as it will mean more redundancies for staff at the airport too in shops and security etc etc. I read people are booking/transferring lots of summer holidays to later in the year as they still want to go away at some point me included, and that business trips may suffer more due to people finding new ways of working.
Can anyone explain to me how the slots work eg I am interested in our flight LGW to PFO in September, if Gatwick closes can BA transfer this to LHR or do they lose the landing slot at PFO altogether? Thanks
But that may just be because BA will not give them their money back without a huge hassle and it just seems easier to re-book to a later date.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOH
But that may just be because BA will not give them their money back without a huge hassle and it just seems easier to re-book to a later date.
For my 2 holidays cancelled I found the refund experience no problem, didn't have to do anything actually it all happened automatically so it does work well sometimes.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Don't quote me on this but I don’t think it matters where BA fly to Paphos from, as long as they use the slot. To be honest Paphos may not even be a slot controlled airport, in which case BA can just ask to fly whenever they want.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Chris_G
Oh well...at least the good news is that this has all (very finally) put an end to the debate on whether or not a new runway should be built...looks like Boris made the right call.

Now if he could just make the same call and cancel HS2 he'll have Ł100bn plus to spend on the NHS and in particular the social service sector that been so starved.

Off topic I know...

Chris
OT but no, he won't. That isn't how financing projects like this work. HS2 is being funded by what is effectively a mortgage on its infrastructure. If it doesn't get built, the money doesn't exist
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Dave
Presumably this is another nail in the coffin of the 737Max "order" from IAG.
We live in hope!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:45 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
For my 2 holidays cancelled I found the refund experience no problem, didn't have to do anything actually it all happened automatically so it does work well sometimes.
Nor did I until around 1 month ago and got 3x flights refunded very quickly. But then the "Refund" button in MMB no longer deposited money back to my account but instead issued a voucher.

There is a whole thread in this forum on this topic and how BA are not automatically refunding cash anymore....you have seen that?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:50 am

BA are not the biggest user of Gatwick, it could move long haul to Heathrow and then move European to other airports?
would this be a way of. Consolidating contracts within BA into a single?
Gatwick I’m sure can survive as a regional airport, just like Birmingham has had to.

With BA retiring their large passenger volume aircraft lije the A380 and 747, would a leaner smaller capacity based aircraft range work at Heathrow? Would it give them more flexibility?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:50 am

Wink

Originally Posted by TedToToe
We live in hope!
Boeing was doing a good job preventing the 737Max ever flying for BA (or anyone) before Covid
Crampedin13A and AdamUK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.