Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Priority Award Booking for 3rd Party

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Gold Priority Award Booking for 3rd Party

I know I can book a GPR for someone else, the question I have been unable to answer is whether that person would get free seat selection on the basis of my status rather than theirs - i.e does a GPR because it has to be booked by a gold/ggl member automatically come with free seat selection?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
No, it doesn't. However if you are on the same flight as they are, you can call up and link ('TCP') your bookings, and then as a Gold member you can request a seat for the other person.
Otherwise, their ability to select seats will depend on their status (or they can pay as normal).
Old Feb 9, 2021, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by volar
No, it doesn't. However if you are on the same flight as they are, you can call up and link ('TCP') your bookings, and then as a Gold member you can request a seat for the other person.
Otherwise, their ability to select seats will depend on their status (or they can pay as normal).
Thanks - that of course only works if you are in the same cabin as them and in this case we'll be split between CW (2) and WT (3) so trying to work out which cabin to place myself for optimum use of my free seat selection!
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Waggy
Thanks - that of course only works if you are in the same cabin as them and in this case we'll be split between CW (2) and WT (3) so trying to work out which cabin to place myself for optimum use of my free seat selection!
Put only yourself in First and be done with it!

rb211.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RB211
Put only yourself in First and be done with it!

rb211.
Had thought of that but fear that might get the holiday off on the wrong footing!!
RB211 and drwook like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Waggy
Is this an all-avios affair, or will you buy some tickets with cash and the others with avios? If the latter, then just make dummy bookings to see what seat selection costs (not sure if price rises after booking)? If the former you'll of course need to factor in who benefits most from the revenue tickets - Avios (you, with gold card) and the TPs (non-status holders, could make bronze?).
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:47 pm

How about including yourself into the GPA booking and assign everyone seats accordingly. Then the following day call up and cancel yourself off the reservation? If done within 24hrs you'll get your redemption refunded in full. Once you're removed from the remaining travel party the seating should still stick for those remaining. Only if they decide to move seats again would they need to pay.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Due to all the aircraft switches at the moment, I doubt that bait and switch will work. If it's an A320 / shorthaul route it would be safer (and BACF safer still) but these are aircraft where seat reservations aren't usually a matter of concern.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
How about including yourself into the GPA booking and assign everyone seats accordingly. Then the following day call up and cancel yourself off the reservation? If done within 24hrs you'll get your redemption refunded in full. Once you're removed from the remaining travel party the seating should still stick for those remaining. Only if they decide to move seats again would they need to pay.
thanks although not sure I need to do it within 24 hours because GPR is canceellable at any time without charge right?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Due to all the aircraft switches at the moment, I doubt that bait and switch will work. If it's an A320 / shorthaul route it would be safer (and BACF safer still) but these are aircraft where seat reservations aren't usually a matter of concern.
Yes its a potential longhaul booking with all that uncertainty etc - the advantage of GPR is I can cancel for free at anytime if the cards don't fall my way.

I know longhaul is not necessarily the sweet spot for GPR (cf flights over half term) but a combination of having "acquired" a chunk of avios with a base cost of circa 0.8p and the likely cash price of some premium cabins next xmas makes even using 200-300k "good value"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.