Economy for the Win!

Old Feb 8, 21, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Economy for the Win!

If you need to travel over the next few months i wouldnt bother with premium/club... much more space down the back!

This is similar to when I flew to the Seychelles in October (although both Premium and Economy were almost deserted, whilst business/first we practically sold out).

LHR-SEZ economy

LHR-SEZ premium
Old Feb 8, 21, 8:39 am

without having though much about that, but arent SEZ and MLE premium-heavy routes anyways? besides that one could tend to premium cabins for social distancing.
Old Feb 8, 21, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Tesco, Nectar, ICSMBC
That's very interesting to see. Not sure how safe I would feel in CW with loads like that given the passenger density.
destone likes this.
Old Feb 8, 21, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle View Post
That's very interesting to see. Not sure how safe I would feel in CW with loads like that given the passenger density.
I second your concern. BA should limit capacity to 50% in each cabin, and block middle seats automatically in WT and WTP.
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 21, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by destone View Post
I second your concern. BA should limit capacity to 50% in each cabin, and block middle seats automatically in WT and WTP.
QATAR block the middle seat in economy currently, and I don't think BA care about anything like that, as BA just (days ago) swapped the plane from a refurbed 777 clubsuite which hasdplenty of spare clubsuites to an older 777 plane with very few seats. I only selected this BA flight (vs Qatar) based on the roomy clubsuite.... The club seat yinyan density is sub-optimal.
destone and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 8, 21, 12:53 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I don't quite see the logic applying the same capacity limit in each cabin. A full F cabin would be much less than 50% capacity of a Y cabin in the same footprint.
Old Feb 8, 21, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms View Post
I don't quite see the logic applying the same capacity limit in each cabin. A full F cabin would be much less than 50% capacity of a Y cabin in the same footprint.
It makes sense to block the middle seats in WT, WTP (they can always unblock them), and NOT swap the plane for one with LESS business class seats, my guess is they wanted a plane with more FIRST as they have consolidated/cancelled many LHR-MLE (from 1or2 daily to 1-weekly)
Old Feb 8, 21, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gms View Post
F, maybe but J is an entirely different question.
Old Feb 8, 21, 4:20 pm

Who is going to Male next week given lockdown?!
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Feb 8, 21, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by DG55 View Post
Who is going to Male next week given lockdown?!
I was asking myself exactly the same question.
On the surface they could be F&J passengers who feel the rules don't apply to them. Of course they could also be passengers connecting on from other countries who would be legally allowed to travel for a holiday. I'd also imagine a decent proportion will be F&J passengers originating in the UK who are just waiting for the flight to cancel in the hope they can then get a cash refund. Otherwise I guess they'll be taking a FTV in the coming days before flight departure.
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Feb 8, 21 at 8:41 pm
Old Feb 8, 21, 5:54 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by babyg_wc View Post
QATAR block the middle seat in economy currently, and I don't think BA care about anything like that, as BA just (days ago) swapped the plane from a refurbed 777 clubsuite which hasdplenty of spare clubsuites to an older 777 plane with very few seats. I only selected this BA flight (vs Qatar) based on the roomy clubsuite.... The club seat yinyan density is sub-optimal.
Qatar, Turkish, and some others do block middle seats on flights with light loads only and there is no guarantee. If they are able to sell those seats, you would recognize that the middle seats would be unblocked.
Old Feb 9, 21, 4:37 am

If they block 50% of seats in all cabins, are you willing to pay 100% more for your ticket (even at fare only, not TFC) to offset their lost revenue?
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 21, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
I was asking myself exactly the same question.
On the surface they could be F&J passengers who feel the rules don't apply to them. Of course they could also be passengers connecting on from other countries who would be legally allowed to travel for a holiday. I'd also imagine a decent proportion will be F&J passengers originating in the UK who are just waiting for the flight to cancel in the hope they can then get a cash refund. Otherwise I guess they'll be taking a FTV in the coming days before flight departure.
There will be no cancellation IMHO, BA have cancelled pretty much every other LHR-MLE flight with the exception of Fridays.
Old Feb 9, 21, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Confus View Post
If they block 50% of seats in all cabins, are you willing to pay 100% more for your ticket (even at fare only, not TFC) to offset their lost revenue?
Blocking them to help with space doesn't stop them from unblocking if the seats are needed.
Old Feb 9, 21, 7:02 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
F, maybe but J is an entirely different question.
Maybe a different question, but with a similar answer! The same concept applies. J long haul on BA has partitions between seats combined with a much lower density of passengers compared to Y or W cabins.

If an airline had to cut capacity by 50% in any cabin, let alone its premium cabins, then it's just going to suspend flights rather than carry on flying. They would simply lose money unless passengers will pay a significant premium (which in most cases they won't).

Last edited by gms; Feb 9, 21 at 7:10 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: