BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 5, 21, 11:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 15, 21, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by Komodromou View Post
Did anyone find good runs from this BA sale?
Not long-haul, but got Mrs T and I a week in Madeira in March from our local airport - BA Holiday, 480 TP each for £1239 in total - so £1.29/ TP with the double offer. Including a hotel we enjoyed on our last trip before Covid...

I suppose to be in TP run territory, we should have booked three of them
Komodromou likes this.
Old Oct 15, 21, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tocsin View Post
Not long-haul, but got Mrs T and I a week in Madeira in March from our local airport - BA Holiday, 480 TP each for £1239 in total - so £1.29/ TP with the double offer. Including a hotel we enjoyed on our last trip before Covid...

I suppose to be in TP run territory, we should have booked three of them
Could you share details of how to book a similar trip please
Old Oct 16, 21, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had found what seemed like a pretty good TP run next year via ITA matrix - 920 TP for around £1150 excluding positioning and hotels. I tried calling BA to book it. After waiting for nearly two hours to speak to someone and then having to contend with the operator saying he didn't think that complicated itinerary would price I got cut off. Expletives were uttered. Of course sods law has determined the fair is no longer available this morning.
Back to the drawing board I guess.
Old Oct 16, 21, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
Local airport, so it’s 40TP to LHR and then 80TP from there to Madeira, 40+80=120 x2 for return, and x2 for double TP offer. How to book would be BA.com and book a holiday to Madeira. If you have a specific problem details help others to help you, so if you’ve tried and failed, explain how and people can offer more help.
Old Oct 16, 21, 3:46 am

Thanks dougzz. Where I'm struggling is starting from a regional airport. On holiday finder it all starts from London. How would I change this to start from Newcastle or Manchester.
Old Oct 16, 21, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks dougzz. Where I'm struggling is starting from a regional airport. On holiday finder it all starts from London. How would I change this to start from Newcastle or Manchester.
Sadly, you'll have to accept that BA is focussed on London. Maybe look at the London holiday prices and dates and ratchet them up by a standard Manchester supplement.

A workaround to booking holidays is to use the "finder" to home in on good dates from London, then go to the regular booking page and select the flight+hotel option to book a holiday from Manchester.

Alternatively use Google flights or Matrix to search for the best price/date combination from Manchester, then go through the BA booking procedure as above.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Oct 16, 21, 4:53 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...idays/holidays
on the right hand side, you can select NCL or MAN
markmac likes this.
Old Oct 16, 21, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
For the Madeira trip, I used the current BA sale page to check on prices, then (because I wanted to travel from my local airport) booked flights in March for NCL-LHR-FNC and return a week later on the normal booking page and immediately added the hotel to make it a holiday - £150 deposit. As the double TP offer is extended to the end of March 2022, we should get 40+80+80+40 for the flights and a bonus of another 240 from the offer.

Hope that helps!

Edit - good tips from dougzz and PGberkshire!

Last edited by Tocsin; Oct 16, 21 at 5:21 am Reason: props to other posters
Old Oct 16, 21, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Tocsin View Post
For the Madeira trip, I used the current BA sale page to check on prices, then (because I wanted to travel from my local airport) booked flights in March for NCL-LHR-FNC and return a week later on the normal booking page and immediately added the hotel to make it a holiday - £150 deposit. As the double TP offer is extended to the end of March 2022, we should get 40+80+80+40 for the flights and a bonus of another 240 from the offer.

Hope that helps!

Edit - good tips from dougzz and PGberkshire!
That really helps
Thanks Tocsin, dougzz and PGBerkshire
Old Oct 17, 21, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
AA have been shifting flights around again for Dec.
Did have a 9:10pm arrival into JFK, and then a 7am flight to SFO.
After BA cancelled the SOF flights, I rejigged the schedule and AA let me move the JFK-SFO flight to 11:25am.
It's now been changed back to 7am and under a different flight number.

Was looking forward to a bit of a lie in as well.....

Few other 10 min changes as well I.e. 7am to 7:10am.
Lefly likes this.
Old Oct 17, 21, 2:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G)
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
AA have been shifting flights around again for Dec.
Did have a 9:10pm arrival into JFK, and then a 7am flight to SFO.
After BA cancelled the SOF flights, I rejigged the schedule and AA let me move the JFK-SFO flight to 11:25am.
It's now been changed back to 7am and under a different flight number.

Was looking forward to a bit of a lie in as well.....

Few other 10 min changes as well I.e. 7am to 7:10am.
I'm (hopefully) waiting for some January cancellations from AA in order to move around a couple of flights in a 800 TP run from AMS booked many months ago.
Old Oct 17, 21, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
I'm (hopefully) waiting for some January cancellations from AA in order to move around a couple of flights in a 800 TP run from AMS booked many months ago.
I've been sweating on a December flight. Splashed out more than I would normally have, thinking that AA would inevitably cancel, so it would be a flexible ticket anyway.

If there is one thing you can rely on AA to do - it's mangle your schedule to open up flexibility. I have never once flown the originally booked itinerary when AA flights are involved.

But they've stubbornly been keeping that flight I was expecting them to cancel - and it was getting too close for comfort. But I got the notification through today, so all is well
Old Oct 17, 21, 5:50 am

Can any of you fantastic flyer talkers help me understand if the above can be optimised for a better tier point run. I don't fully understand the following transfer rules:
ORIGINATING EUROPE - FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 01NOV 21 1 FREE TRANSFER REQUIRED AND UNLIMITED ON THE FARE COMPONENT 1 REQUIRED FREE IN HEL IN EACH DIRECTION UNLIMITED PERMITTED FREE AT ANY OTHER POINT IN EACH DIRECTION FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT. NOTE - - ACCORDING TO ROUTING.
Komodromou likes this.
Old Oct 17, 21, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post

Can any of you fantastic flyer talkers help me understand if the above can be optimised for a better tier point run. I don't fully understand the following transfer rules:
ORIGINATING EUROPE - FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 01NOV 21 1 FREE TRANSFER REQUIRED AND UNLIMITED ON THE FARE COMPONENT 1 REQUIRED FREE IN HEL IN EACH DIRECTION UNLIMITED PERMITTED FREE AT ANY OTHER POINT IN EACH DIRECTION FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT. NOTE - - ACCORDING TO ROUTING.
Unfortunately, for this AY fare, this is the max that you could optimize it. This is not a joint-business fare thus wouldn't allow optimization like some other Eurasian fares.
Jackanory likes this.
Old Oct 17, 21, 8:53 am

Thanks ISTFlyer, I thought as much as everything I tried either didn’t work or changed the price massively.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread