Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by webstereo
Yeah, so basically I have SOF-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-SOF and then the same in reverse. I believe 960 TP
Yes, you have maximized TP's for this route.
You can't maximize it more according to the fare rules.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:08 am

Hi all,

Been reading through quite a bit of this thread, invaluable information and it's given me a few ideas. I'm looking at doing something pretty crazy - quitting QFF and going for BAEC GFL. From scratch. The current run I'm looking at is PER-SYD-SIN-HND-BKK, I think this legacy fare still exists. I'm exSYD but I can position around Australia. The question is, is there a more efficient run available from Australia? The main reason is that PER is closed off for domestic travellers for the foreseeable future, and with BA15/BA16 not confirmed until the end of March, not sure if there's any runs I can do to get started.

Also, as a side note, has anyone had experience changing FF# at the gate/lounge? Since I'm OWE with QFF, but nothing with BA, it would be nice to access the F lounge internationall with my QFF, and then change FF# to BAEC for earnings after I get in.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by aeries
Also, as a side note, has anyone had experience changing FF# at the gate/lounge? Since I'm OWE with QFF, but nothing with BA, it would be nice to access the F lounge international with my QFF, and then change FF# to BAEC for earnings after I get in.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
It can be done, but my experience is only getting into BA lounges with BA status.

I had some QF points that were about to expire a couple of years ago, so I took a day return on BA from Gatwick to Jersey using my QF FF details just to retain the points. On the way out, I showed my BA gold card at the BA lounge and was allowed in with no problem. On the return, I had time for a lounge visit, but the the BA lounge guardians wouldn't accept just my card. However, they did transfer the return leg to my BAEC account, so I was able to use the lounge. I think that the JER lounge is a third party one, so this could be why they were less flexible.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Over on the CE to AMM thread , I read something quite worrisome. Specifically, that both LHR-CAI and LHR-AMM now earn only SH+ (80) TPs in business class cabin, despite both routes being longer than 2000 miles, which would generally earn 140 TPs.
This is a contrast to DME, which earned 140 on account of CW, but was shorter than 2000 miles, so it rightfully went to 80 TP as CE.
Is this a glitch? Any other OW business class flight > 2000 miles earns 140 TPs.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ubiest
Over on the CE to AMM thread , I read something quite worrisome. Specifically, that both LHR-CAI and LHR-AMM now earn only SH+ (80) TPs in business class cabin, despite both routes being longer than 2000 miles, which would generally earn 140 TPs.
This is a contrast to DME, which earned 140 on account of CW, but was shorter than 2000 miles, so it rightfully went to 80 TP as CE.
Is this a glitch? Any other OW business class flight > 2000 miles earns 140 TPs.
This is not a glitch.
Since LHR-CAI/AMM are classified as short-hauls you would now get 80 Tier Points on those routes.

Although, LHR-AMM on Royal Jordanian would still give you 140 Tier Points, although RJ is generally more expensive than BA on that route for point-to-point bookings.

Pre-COVID, DME/SVO was an exception and now AMM/CAI is an exception to the general format.
ubiest likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ubiest
No, that's not a glitch. CE flights over 2000 miles earn 80 tier points. LCA is over 2000 miles and earns 80 tier points for example. Both AMM and CAI used to be long haul routes, so earned 140 tps, now they're short haul routes, so earn 80 tps.

I think longest short haul route used to be SSH - over 2400 miles, yet earning 80 tps only.

On the other hand DME is only 1581 miles and used to be long haul route earning 140 tps.
ubiest, zen100 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I think it may be that DME and other destinations mentioned used to be served by long haul aircraft with long-haul-style pricing, which would account for the tier points awarded.

Several years ago I used a companion voucher and GUF2 to travel to travel to Moscow with my brother, in the company of some minor oligarchs, at the very pointy end of a 747. The outbound flight was good, but the inbound flight, on which both an excellent red burgundy and an equally good claret were on offer, was memorable for the indulgent, even anticipatory, service from the crew member serving our side of the plane!
ubiest likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Pretty good deal for 800 TP imo. Connection times all reasonable. Only issue is BA only doing one a day to SOF at the minute probably due to current restrictions. Is SOF fairly good for B2B even in post-Brexit times? Could always position on the Sunday.

Also probably a very basic question, but if I book this via american on an AA ticket number and all flights marketed and sold as AA, I still qualify for full 800 TPs? I can't find anything bookable through BA.

Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine
Pretty good deal for 800 TP imo. Connection times all reasonable. Only issue is BA only doing one a day to SOF at the minute probably due to current restrictions. Is SOF fairly good for B2B even in post-Brexit times? Could always position on the Sunday.

Also probably a very basic question, but if I book this via american on an AA ticket number and all flights marketed and sold as AA, I still qualify for full 800 TPs? I can't find anything bookable through BA.

Yes, you'll get 800 tier points.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:17 pm

This is not so much a TP Run question but it feels relevant and would affect my decision as I am fairly near LTG:

Does anyone know if the 100% bonus tier points (for bookings via BA Holidays) add on to the Lifetime Tier Points total?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: Centurion BA GGL IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by KerryMLC
This is not so much a TP Run question but it feels relevant and would affect my decision as I am fairly near LTG:

Does anyone know if the 100% bonus tier points (for bookings via BA Holidays) add on to the Lifetime Tier Points total?
Yes they do !
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine

What happens if you start from somewhere other tan SOF? (other than 40 less TP) Does that make positioning easier? And there's been talk here that BA might abandon SOF. If that happens and you left it as your final destination, would that cancel the entire journey?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by webstereo
What happens if you start from somewhere other tan SOF? (other than 40 less TP) Does that make positioning easier? And there's been talk here that BA might abandon SOF. If that happens and you left it as your final destination, would that cancel the entire journey?
If u don't start in SOF. U don't get the deal. Haha
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
For those who would rather have an origin point with multiple BA flights a day, there is a 180-day advance fare from DUB to the US West Coast for around Ł1,350. I've looked for mid-May next year but it looks rather open. I've not managed to add HEL in there, but I'm time-constrained so I didn't try too hard.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Could someone help me with the following? I have tried to search but can't find the answer anywhere.

I built an itinerary on ITA Matrix, copied and pasted it into BookWithMatrix and chose the 'Book with American' option. Everything was going well up to the point of payment. Because the default AA site is AA.com, I couldn't complete the last step (payment) as it was priced in USD and the Amex I was paying is a UK card. The only option available was to navigate to the UK AA site which completely wiped all booking details.

Is there any way I can work around this, e.g. force BookWithMatrix to go to the UK AA site rather than AA.com? If not, what options do I have, e.g. should I call AA and try to get the booking completed by phone?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to give.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.