Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am afraid PGberkshire is correct though. A b2b is definitely not a transit. Transit is normally deemed to be arriving from country A and going on to a different country B, not returning to country A.

The fact you have got away with it doesn't change that I am afraid. You are running a risk the airline will turn round and say you are not doing a transit and deny you boarding, and you would have no recourse for that since they would be correct. We have seen exactly this issue before in certain circumstances like trying to do a LHR-DME-LHR without a visa because someone tries to rely on the transit allowance.
Why would there be a risk to get denied boarding? If the passenger has the correct travel documents, they are allowed to travel to Romania.

The quarantine decision is not made by the border police, but by the health authority, and if you can show them that you are leaving the country, by plane, car, train whatever, that counts as an exemption from quarantine. There is nothing to get away with, this is how things work, written on the Romanian foreign affairs website.
KARFA and megaloman like this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I am afraid PGberkshire is correct though. A b2b is definitely not a transit. Transit is normally deemed to be arriving from country A and going on to a different country B, not returning to country A.

The fact you have got away with it doesn't change that I am afraid. You are running a risk the airline will turn round and say you are not doing a transit and deny you boarding, and you would have no recourse for that since they would be correct. We have seen exactly this issue before in certain circumstances like trying to do a LHR-DME-LHR without a visa because someone tries to rely on the transit allowance.
Some countries specify that transit has to be to a third country (e.g. China for TWOV), other countries don't care (e.g Russian Federation, most of the EU). From the immigration point of view, if you're allowed to enter Romania with your regular passport, then it doesn't matter whether you transit to a third country, or fly back to where you came from. From covid spreading prevention point of view, it doesn't really matter where you came from and where you're going since what matters is you'll be there for less than 24h.

In my humble opinion b2b is a transit, unless country in question specifies transit as a connection to a third country.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Deckter
The quarantine decision is not made by the border police, but by the health authority, and if you can show them that you are leaving the country, by plane, car, train whatever, that counts as an exemption from quarantine. There is nothing to get away with, this is how things work, written on the Romanian foreign affairs website.
I will repeat again, a b2b is not a transit. You do not fall within that exemption if doing a b2b.
wilsnunn, Nephoi, ISTFlyer and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I will repeat again, a b2b is not a transit. You do not fall within that exemption if doing a b2b.
Immigration won't know what b2b is, neither health officials. For them you're in transit to your final destination making a sub-24h connection in Romania.
Deckter likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I think the main issue is related to BA staff checking documents for self-isolation ( if Romania has such thing ) rather than the interpretation of immigration officials in Bucharest.
Deckter likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I think the main issue is related to BA staff checking documents for self-isolation ( if Romania has such thing ) rather than the interpretation of immigration officials in Bucharest.
There are no documents to check regarding self-isolation though, therefore no risk of being denied boarding.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
As a practical matter, you arrive into OTP from UK, are not otherwise exempt from quarantine requirement, and split hairs with the Romanians about B2B-is-a-transit-or-not, and finally they say you have to go self isolate (14 days). You go to your hotel, spend the night, and check out the next day. Thereafter, go to OTP to catch your flight the next morning back to LHR.
Would you have broken any rules by acting thus?
flyerkit likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 6:00 pm

Smile

Bumping this thread, but I posted a pretty good AA A/F fare in the Premium Fare Deals subforum. 580 TP's. Same day turns available for those crazy enough to do one Enjoy!

Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
*smh*

Last edited by Nephoi; Sep 10, 2021 at 2:05 am
Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by Nephoi
fare is also avail for 300 bucks more without a 7 day min stay.

already in the queue for aa call center. 16 minutes ...
i guess its not around long time.

cant book it online. thats not a good sign
Not a good sign you’re phoning the airline!
Markie and Deckter like this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:32 am

fare is also avail for 300 bucks more without a 7 day min stay.

already in the queue for aa call center. 16 minutes ...
i guess its not around long time.

cant book it online. thats not a good sign

edit: Agent couldnt get a price /a combinable fare because IB segments come back as "NN"
Can be priced with powertools. Not the type of fare that people should be calling in to book.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:01 am

Can be priced with powertools. Not the type of fare that people should be calling in to book.
Originally Posted by our_kid
Not a good sign you’re phoning the airline!
it couldn't. I tried for over an hour. AA.com won't let me book it after an hour of testing. I enter the flights, I use power tools, I get routed to aa.com, I enter pax data, I enter credit card data, pop up "your price changed old price: 996 USD, new price 1180 USD confirm? search new flights" I click on confirm, system works, I get routed back to the page to enter pax data and can click on pay now. I click pay now. system works, I get routed back to the page to enter pax data and can click on pay now. I click pay now.system works, I get routed back to the page to enter pax data and can click on pay now. I click pay now.system works, I get routed back to the page to enter pax data and can click on pay now. I click pay now.

but thanks for reminding me of TP run 101.

for the record: I think its also not a good sign to publish fares like this here. but does it count what I think?
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:14 am

it couldn't. I tried for over an hour. AA.com won't let me book it after an hour of testing. I enter the flights, I use power tools, I get routed to aa.com, I enter pax data, I enter credit card data, pop up "your price changed old price: 996 USD, new price 1180 USD confirm? search new flights" I click on confirm, system works, I get routed back to the page to enter pax data and can click on pay now. I click pay now. system works, I get routed back to the page to enter pax data and can click on pay now. I click pay now.system works, I get routed back to the page to enter pax data and can click on pay now. I click pay now.system works, I get routed back to the page to enter pax data and can click on pay now. I click pay now.

but thanks for reminding me of TP run 101.

for the record: I think its also not a good sign to publish fares like this here. but does it count what I think?
Fares like "these" have been published on FT for ages and it is common knowledge not to call the airline, and I would think that experienced users such as yourself, would respect that "rule". If you want to potentially ruin the fun for other people that is your choice.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:16 am

Fares like "these" have been published on FT for ages and it is common knowledge not to call the airline, and I would think that experienced users such as yourself, would respect that "rule". If you want to potentially ruin the fun for other people that is your choice.
im so sorry I didn’t meet your standard.
simonsmith likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:56 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Did anyone manage to book CMN-MAD-LHR-MIA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.