Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Platinum
I got the bad news that all of my work travel is being curtailed until next year. Looking for some ideas to earn 495 tier points before the end of December. Ideally without involving any (or minimal) days off work. I could be a bit flexible if arriving back off an overnight etc...

Not totally driven by price would pay a little more for something nice (hoping to achieve for under £2K)... My order of preference would be
  • Something on Qatar - but none of the old tricks seem to work!
  • States (I was trying to price up DUB > LAX over a weekend without much success)
  • Finnair LHR > HEL / BA LHR > SOF or a combination of these
Thanks in advance for any pointers
Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
I would look at an LHR-SOF holiday booking for the double tier points with nested same day returns. 480tps and should still be much less than £2k even if you get a Saturday/sunday 7 day deal.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by matt_s_london
I got the bad news that all of my work travel is being curtailed until next year. Looking for some ideas to earn 495 tier points before the end of December. Ideally without involving any (or minimal) days off work. I could be a bit flexible if arriving back off an overnight etc...

Not totally driven by price would pay a little more for something nice (hoping to achieve for under £2K)... My order of preference would be
  • Something on Qatar - but none of the old tricks seem to work!
  • States (I was trying to price up DUB > LAX over a weekend without much success)
  • Finnair LHR > HEL / BA LHR > SOF or a combination of these
Thanks in advance for any pointers

Hi,

BUD or OTP were offering some US routes in late Oct for around £1900 rtn
Qatar routes to BKK were also available in late Oct ( later in Nov/Dec I would think the flights would be full for the world cup)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi Flyertalk

I'm planning a TP holiday and seeking some expert clarification on a question on Double TP's. Specifically, has anyone used the Double Tier Points offer on itineraries with 2x separate hotel bookings of less than 5 nights each that add up to 5+ nights?

For context the TP holiday we're looking at next year looks something like this:
JER-LHR-JFK-SFO, 3 nights hotel in SFO
SFO-JFK-BOS, 3 nights hotel in BOS
BOS-LHR-JER

I think it meets the criteria: all BA flight codes, flight + hotel booking 5+nights, hotels for the duration of trip.

Obviously given the huge double TP potential I'm keen to know whether the two separate hotels for less than 5 nights each will work.

For anyone interested this is July 2023 and coming out around £2,600 in J the whole way, including 2x 4* hotels plus a hotel the night before in JER. If this works it’s 1,360 TP’s, so £1.91/TP.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jbee36
Hi Flyertalk

I'm planning a TP holiday and seeking some expert clarification on a question on Double TP's. Specifically, has anyone used the Double Tier Points offer on itineraries with 2x separate hotel bookings of less than 5 nights each that add up to 5+ nights?

For context the TP holiday we're looking at next year looks something like this:
JER-LHR-JFK-SFO, 3 nights hotel in SFO
SFO-JFK-BOS, 3 nights hotel in BOS
BOS-LHR-JER

I think it meets the criteria: all BA flight codes, flight + hotel booking 5+nights, hotels for the duration of trip.

Obviously given the huge double TP potential I'm keen to know whether the two separate hotels for less than 5 nights each will work.

For anyone interested this is July 2023 and coming out around £2,600 in J the whole way, including 2x 4* hotels plus a hotel the night before in JER. If this works it’s 1,360 TP’s, so £1.91/TP.
Before you get into splitting hotel bookings, the first red flag is whether Jersey counts as the UK for the purposes of the Double TP offer.

Afraid I can’t answer that, but flagging it in the hope that someone else can.
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:06 pm

Yes Jersey counts as UK
BA850 and jbee36 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold * Alliance Gold IHG Platinum
The points guy UK website ran a Q and A on double tier points, i do believe it stated it has to be for a minimum of 5 nights, but does not need to be for the entire holiday. I suppose the only really way of finding out is calling BA HOLIDAYS directly.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: GGL (2021-), BA Emerald (1999-2021), SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
105 TPs for GUF1

**correction, title should read GUF2

Hi all I am at 2395 TPs with membership year ending 8 Jan 23.

Could I ask for your collective wisdom to earn 105 TPs ideally over a Fri-Sun (or less). I can't do the 5-day BA holidays unfortunately between now and end of Dec.

Ex-EU is fine of course, but for 105 TPs it might not be worth the hassle. I'd love to have BCN in the trip.

Thanks for your help as always!

Last edited by 62aClubWorld; Sep 18, 2022 at 12:42 am Reason: title correction - should be GUF2
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 62aClubWorld
**correction, title should read GUF2

Hi all I am at 2395 TPs with membership year ending 8 Jan 23.

Could I ask for your collective wisdom to earn 105 TPs ideally over a Fri-Sun (or less). I can't do the 5-day BA holidays unfortunately between now and end of Dec.

Ex-EU is fine of course, but for 105 TPs it might not be worth the hassle. I'd love to have BCN in the trip.

Thanks for your help as always!
LHR-MAD-BCN and return will net you the 120 TPs to put you over the threshold for the GUF2.
If the timings work for you, try one of the IB widebody flights IB3175 & IB3167. On the latter, you’d have to overnight in MAD.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: GGL (2021-), BA Emerald (1999-2021), SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ubiest
LHR-MAD-BCN and return will net you the 120 TPs to put you over the threshold for the GUF2.
If the timings work for you, try one of the IB widebody flights IB3175 & IB3167. On the latter, you’d have to overnight in MAD.
Got it. thanks J
ubiest likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by DarkHarlequin
I would look at an LHR-SOF holiday booking for the double tier points with nested same day returns. 480tps and should still be much less than £2k even if you get a Saturday/sunday 7 day deal.
Thanks! This worked out great and achieved for ~ £650
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
I've just managed to get some leave in November which will give me a chance to go for another GUF2. I'm a bit short of time for looking at a US trip from the UK or better still Europe.
I've done some work on BUD, OTP, BER and SOF with BUD coming in around 2k.
Are there any other suggestions for departure points/routings/destinations which I may have missed that someone else may know about?
I'm getting back into using the new ITA matrix but aren't fully with it yet.

Regards

AQ
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:10 am

There are a few sub £2k AA or BA options from Dublin to US West Coast in late November, where you can add connections in Lon, NY and LA for 720 TPS….
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Thanks Applewood, I shall do some searching

Cheers

AQ
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by DarkHarlequin
Hello, what's meant by the nested same day returns please or could someone explain how this works. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.