Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Have all the £1.5-1.8k BUD - HNL fares vanished for next spring ?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
If so, can anyone suggest any other departure points ?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: United Global Services, BA Gold, KrisFlyer Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by TPRun
I've actually booked something similar mid-July for November as my year ends 8 Nov - I want to do it after I 'drop down to Silver' so I can get Gold for as long as possible. (6 x Sofia B2Bs and 1 x long weekend in Sofia..and I'll be with you on the first trip you do 22 Nov).
I made 7 different bookings & reduced the cost by a) offsetting with Avios*, b) booking SOF-LHR as outbounds on some trips rather than LHR and having the return LHR-SOF being the morning of another date and c) putting outbound on one date and the inbound another per booking as that lowered the price than having the outbound and inbound on the same booking).
My overall £ per TP is £0.96 and I get 1120 TPs, requiring 5 to hit gold which I'll do on a work trip.
*a majority of these Avios will come back by paying with the BA Amex and the Avios netted on the trip itself.
Sounds confusing, happy to share my detailed Excel spreadsheet!
Would be very interested in that spreadsheet if you'd be happy to share, if anything just to see your working
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:09 am

My year ends 8th October
with a card expiry at 3th nov
When will I drop down?
and how much TP's will I need? I'm a tad confused.
will I need 1125 or the diffrence between silver and gold which is 675 (with the reduced TP of 25% of course).
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Palty
My year ends 8th October
with a card expiry at 3th nov
When will I drop down?
and how much TP's will I need? I'm a tad confused.
will I need 1125 or the diffrence between silver and gold which is 675 (with the reduced TP of 25% of course).
I assume you are currently Gold and haven’t achieved the required 1,125 to retain that level?
If that is the case, you will drop down at midnight on the 30th November to Silver. In order to achieve Gold again you will either need to earn 1,125 TP’s between October 9th (that is when your TP’s reset to zero) and Dec 31st 2022, or 1,500 TP’s by Oct 8th 2023 in order to go back up to Gold (the reduced lvl expires on Dec 31st and if you haven’t hit the reduced thresholds by then you need to achieve the standard threshold by your next renewal date)

Pilot37
Palty likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by xenole
I'm still in two minds about a holiday booking, at least this year before my 8th Dec end of year.

Ok, taking LHR-SOF as an example on a specific set of dates.

£277.27 for CE flights.
Same flights with the cheapest 5 day car hire is £388.
So 320TP for £388 (or 160TP for around an extra £111).

This means I have to spend 5 days in Sofia, or do whatever for that time period.

Second option is to pay £192 for a CE return to SOF, stay overnight somewhere such as the IC, and fly back next day.
Repeat this say the following week.

That costs around £385 for 320TP (and as said earlier, I could knock £70 off each trip for 10400 Avios and earn 6330, so a net loss of 4070 Avios per trip, but a total price of around £245 and 8140 Avios for 320TP).

Sure it means 2 trips, but I can fit them in around my scheduled off days and not have to take 2-3 days holiday to make up 5 days.

Do have a £120 holiday deposit voucher and a couple of FTVs for £xxx to use though.
If you do LHR/SOF with BA holidays 30th Nov to 7th Decemeber that's £300 incl car hire. Nest in SOF/LHR/SOF departing SOF on the 1st and returning on 6th December for another £260.

That does require 2 overnights in SOF but is 480TPs for £560, guess it depends how many TPs you need.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
I assume you are currently Gold and haven’t achieved the required 1,125 to retain that level?
If that is the case, you will drop down at midnight on the 30th November to Silver. In order to achieve Gold again you will either need to earn 1,125 TP’s between October 9th (that is when your TP’s reset to zero) and Dec 31st 2022, or 1,500 TP’s by Oct 8th 2023 in order to go back up to Gold (the reduced lvl expires on Dec 31st and if you haven’t hit the reduced thresholds by then you need to achieve the standard threshold by your next renewal date)

Pilot37
thanks so much for this
And yes I'm currently gold

However I might be going to turkey next month anyways for a holiday so might end up combining everything together. (BA holidays, double tier points for 5 plus night stays etc. In order to make the most out of it)

Here's the kicker.
MAN-IST is 40 TP
LHR-IST is 80 TP
​​​​​according to the BA flight tp calculater

Last edited by Palty; Sep 4, 2022 at 2:01 am
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Palty
thanks so much for this
And yes I'm currently gold

However I might be going to turkey next month anyways for a holiday so might end up combining everything together. (BA holidays, double tier points for 5 plus night stays etc. In order to make the most out of it)

Here's the kicker.
MAN-IST is 40 TP
LHR-IST is 80 TP
​​​​​according to the BA flight tp calculater

Hi,
For the BA tp calculator you need to enter each leg separately for it to work
ie MAN-LHR then LHR-IST separately for 40 + 80 tps ( ie 120 each way on MAN-LHR-IST on BA club europe)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by intunderflow
Would be very interested in that spreadsheet if you'd be happy to share, if anything just to see your working
Certainly - check your inbox
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
If you do LHR/SOF with BA holidays 30th Nov to 7th Decemeber that's £300 incl car hire. Nest in SOF/LHR/SOF departing SOF on the 1st and returning on 6th December for another £260.

That does require 2 overnights in SOF but is 480TPs for £560, guess it depends how many TPs you need.
You could also consider nesting SOF-LHR-SOF for 30 Nov and 7 Dec to create 2 x B2B flights for same cost and TPs. I guess the key thing is, do you need to go to the car rental location at SOF or can you just ignore (as you have already paid BAH) and go to the lounge in SOF? If the latter, will you still get the double TPs through booking flights and car rental?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by higham44
You could also consider nesting SOF-LHR-SOF for 30 Nov and 7 Dec to create 2 x B2B flights for same cost and TPs. I guess the key thing is, do you need to go to the car rental location at SOF or can you just ignore (as you have already paid BAH) and go to the lounge in SOF? If the latter, will you still get the double TPs through booking flights and car rental?
Yep, that works too. I decided to overnight in Sofia to derisk it with the B2Bs and itll be nice to have a few hours there each turnaround to grab a cheap meal, a beer.or 2 and some.peace and quiet :-)
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex UK Plat
Hi folks,
I've booked myself a tier point run for next spring (first time doing one) and something looks a bit weird in the reservation which I'd like to run past someone with experience.
The trip was booked with AA (I couldn't get BA to price it up - even over the phone) and AA has a single PNR for the trip. However, the BA operated bits have two separate PNRs - is this normal (or likely to cause any headaches)?
The itinerary is below with mock BA PNRs in brackets:
1. DUB - LHR (XXXXXA)
2. LHR - JFK (XXXXXB)
3. JFK - LAX
4. LAX - RNO
5. RNO - LAX
6. LAX - JFK
7. JFK - LHR (XXXXXB)
8. LHR - DUB (XXXXXA)

Having had a look at this thread I can see that people are interested in the price - this itinerary was £1,308 ($1,505 - terrible exchange rate) - which I calculate will give me 720 tier points.
Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
If one books enough in advance, one can always count on AA reshuffling flights time and cancelling planes in order to improve a TP run with better flights that weren't available at the time of booking.
AA changes for the second half of December are finally out, so anyone with a multicity run via the US should check their flights.

On a middle of December BUD-HNL run with 8 sectors, I've got 3 cancellations and 2 time changes... so I opened up ITA Matrix and found something better than the previous routing, adding a transit in HEL without touching original dates, original departure and arrival cities.
Well, guess what? First attempt to request the changes was met with "since it's a routing change there will be a fee/taxes/fare recalculation".
Err... no. Changes to a booking after an involuntary cancellation - or more - without touching starting and arriving point do not involve any fare recalculation and price adjustment. I hope to find someone reasonable...
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Papa.Lima.Echo
Hi folks,
I've booked myself a tier point run for next spring (first time doing one) and something looks a bit weird in the reservation which I'd like to run past someone with experience.
The trip was booked with AA (I couldn't get BA to price it up - even over the phone) and AA has a single PNR for the trip. However, the BA operated bits have two separate PNRs - is this normal (or likely to cause any headaches)?
Yes it is. I have the same for a TP run in November.
Nice run you got, by the way

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Have all the £1.5-1.8k BUD - HNL fares vanished for next spring ?
I'm afraid the low fare is gone, for now. For West coast you should check DUB & MAD.
Dicksbits and Papa.Lima.Echo like this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Berrisfo
'm 445 TPs short of gold and have until Oct 8th to get there. Can anyone think of any 1-2 day trips that would get me over the line? I'm London based; I did take a look at the Finnair LHR-DXB but the only available returns kept me there for a week or so.
I've been looking at LHR-HEL-CPH then CPH-HEL-AGP then AGP-MAD-LHR for 360 TPs in late September for about £900 as three separate trips.Can be done in about three days, but im sure someone better than I can tweak this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.