Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by stuinn
I am short of 40 tier points to achieve silver. Any advice on best way to achieve this.
take one short haul flight in business class, or two short haul flight in full economy.
lsquare, alex67500, dougzz and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
I am short of 40 tier points to achieve silver. Any advice on best way to achieve this.
It helps if you tell us where you are based.

LcS
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I'm mulling over whether it's worth to try and get 2500 TPs to get GGL before the end of the year. I'm going to retain Gold after a QR trip to Singapore at the end of August, which will leave me on 1250. Am I right in thinking GGL is 3750 until 31 December? My TP year end is 8 January.
Yes, you're correct on the reduced rate until 31 December.

Most of the TP runs are towards the US simply because of the prices. It's the cheapest way to do it. I don't see your issue with entering the US... if you really want to avoid the pain, try to get something out of Dublin or Shannon as you'll do US immigration there and land in the US as a domestic passenger. It really is much nicer! I've seen fares like DUB-PHL-XXX or DUB-JFK-XXX on BA/AA for example, so it is possible to leave from Dublin without backtracking, just depends if any fares are around.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I am thinking of doing a BUD-HNL run / TP holiday with my stash of e-vouchers. Is that doable? When searching BUD-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL ITA matrix only offers the LAX-HNL legs with AA/AS flight numbers. I guess that is an issue for e-vouchers? Is there a way round that?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by linz36
I am thinking of doing a BUD-HNL run / TP holiday with my stash of e-vouchers. Is that doable? When searching BUD-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL ITA matrix only offers the LAX-HNL legs with AA/AS flight numbers. I guess that is an issue for e-vouchers? Is there a way round that?
Well known ITA Matrix glitch not to show a codeshare on a second US-domestic; if you have an EF subscription, check for the BA codeshares on West Coast - Hawai'i. Nevertheless, you will need either a TA or a call to BA to get it booked on BA codes (if that is a requisite to using a BA voucher, someone more experienced with e-vouchers can add some knowledge).
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ubiest
Well known ITA Matrix glitch not to show a codeshare on a second US-domestic; if you have an EF subscription, check for the BA codeshares on West Coast - Hawai'i. Nevertheless, you will need either a TA or a call to BA to get it booked on BA codes (if that is a requisite to using a BA voucher, someone more experienced with e-vouchers can add some knowledge).
Ah thank you, I saw the BA flight numbers pop up on a simple BUD-LHR-LAX-HNL routing, but somehow thought it was a ticketing restrictions rather than an ITA glitch. Calling to book is not too difficult.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:00 pm

Thanks for reply. looking to book ldn to Jersey
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:16 pm

Presumably you're referring to London (LON) and not some obscure airport in Nepal. You can find B2B day returns to JER for around 200 GBP before 8 September.
ExpatExp and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Saturday 24th Sept JER->LHR 1930 is £102 (one way) in J. Crystal have that at £89.74, which will generate a £30 BA e-voucher for the price match.

Put that towards the outbound 1735 which is £62 in Y at BA and allows back to back. Job done. It's not the greatest TP/£ but ok for the purpose.

As mentioned elsewhere, it can be cat and mouse finding the low fares on Crystal, but they are there.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Based in London, and wanting to fly from Europe to Miami for a Cruise, in August/September this year, trying to find the best way to maximise tier points, but hitting some restrictions. I was going to do the obvious BUD, LHR, JFK, LAX/SFO or even HNL, but nothing appealing on the Cruise front on those destinations.

Have so far tried BUD, LHR, JFK, DFW and then MIA and back for around £1,500.

Question is how far west can I go, before I start to hit some mileage restrictions, I did try PHX but that shows nothing.?

Many thanks,

Update you can go via the west coast but the price of course goes through the roof...
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by linz36
Ah thank you, I saw the BA flight numbers pop up on a simple BUD-LHR-LAX-HNL routing, but somehow thought it was a ticketing restrictions rather than an ITA glitch. Calling to book is not too difficult.
I booked a BUD-LHR-BOS-LAX-HNL trip at the weekend over the phone - I gave the agent the AA flight numbers from LAX to HNL and back because that's what ITA showed me, but he booked me on the BA codeshares. He said it would be more likely to ticket that way.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:19 am

Can I ask what is Crystal. Is it a travel agent?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by omk298
I booked a BUD-LHR-BOS-LAX-HNL trip at the weekend over the phone - I gave the agent the AA flight numbers from LAX to HNL and back because that's what ITA showed me, but he booked me on the BA codeshares. He said it would be more likely to ticket that way.
How much was that if I might ask? Planning to throw in a TP run by the end of the year.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by all ahead full
Based in London, and wanting to fly from Europe to Miami for a Cruise, in August/September this year, trying to find the best way to maximise tier points, but hitting some restrictions. I was going to do the obvious BUD, LHR, JFK, LAX/SFO or even HNL, but nothing appealing on the Cruise front on those destinations.

Have so far tried BUD, LHR, JFK, DFW and then MIA and back for around £1,500.

Question is how far west can I go, before I start to hit some mileage restrictions, I did try PHX but that shows nothing.?

Many thanks,

Update you can go via the west coast but the price of course goes through the roof...
You don't have to do it on one ticket ... For instance BUD-LAX on ticket 1 for the TPs, then add a cheap ticket 2 LAX-MIA to position for your cruise. Usual health warnings about leaving important safety buffers between two tickets etc.
Or even an OJ BUD-LAX//MIA-BUD.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ubiest
You don't have to do it on one ticket ... For instance BUD-LAX on ticket 1 for the TPs, then add a cheap ticket 2 LAX-MIA to position for your cruise. Usual health warnings about leaving important safety buffers between two tickets etc.
Or even an OJ BUD-LAX//MIA-BUD.
Brilliant - thanks - hadn't though of that, I was trying to construct something for one ticket - good idea, many thanks,

Works well open JAW BUD-LHR-JFK-LAX, and then MIA-JFK-LHR-BUD comes out cheaper than the return, and adding in a one way for LAX-MIA is around £500.

Last edited by all ahead full; Aug 3, 2022 at 10:47 am Reason: update with prices

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.