BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 5, 21, 11:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 11, 22, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Spent the last couple of days playing with this and finally landed a really good BUD-HNL ticket.

Doing BUD-LHR-ORD-DFW/DFW-HNL/HNL-LAX-LHR/LHR-BUD in April 2023.

Somehow convinced the AA site to let me book in GBP too, which is super, as no CC percentage fee. £1333 per person.

And that DFW-HNL lie-flat is the absolute dream. Doing it on the return would have added £400ea, still reasonable, but actually the upright morning flight (not redeye) HNL-LAX is acceptable in Domestic First anyways.

Happy days!
Markie and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jun 11, 22, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bluebrummie2000 View Post
Planning to take advantage of the ex Bud HNL winter fares through HNL. Can anyone clarify, if I book in 'I; class for the LHR - HEL - LHR legs does this count as 'Business Light' fare and therefore no lounge access even though I am BA GGLL? Any thoughts much appreciated..
Business Light is only sold on AY stock tickets and only itineraries that contain flights solely operated and marketed by them. It is isn't sold for any Transatlantic JV bookings which contain a mixture of carriers. So you have nothing to worry about there.
Deckter likes this.
Old Jun 11, 22, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Can I ask what software/website this is from?

I'm trying to look for the cheapest possible way to get around 160-200 TP before November from Aberdeen (possibly incorporating 5 night BA holiday for double TP)
armouredant likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by wcel View Post
Can I ask what software/website this is from?

I'm trying to look for the cheapest possible way to get around 160-200 TP before November from Aberdeen (possibly incorporating 5 night BA holiday for double TP)
Speedbird Online
Markie, ExpatExp, JayTee and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
I’ve got a vaguely legit business trip to Sofia in November. Booked and went to choose seat 1A assuming it’d be free this far out. I’m in row 8 or something so I guess half this bloody thread will be on the flight
EDIwanderer and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 6:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
I am looking to combine a run on the BUD-OGG fare with my annual trip to SEA (to watch a Seahawks game) in December.

Through Google Flights I can get BUD-LHR-SEA-LAX-OGG-LAX-ORD-HEL-BUD for £14xx with ideal long overnight layovers in LHR (at home) SEA, (for the game) and 2 nights on Maui. This transfers fine to the AA Hungary page for purchase in HUF, but I'm stuggling to get it through the UK page to pay in £GB.

Also how is b2b at BUD on the way out? Has anyone done this recently? Does OLCI check in with AA work OK for this type of ticket? (I seem to recall problems with ex-EU AA tickets before, specifically from BGO)
Old Jun 12, 22, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by LSunbury View Post
I am looking to combine a run on the BUD-OGG fare with my annual trip to SEA (to watch a Seahawks game) in December.

Through Google Flights I can get BUD-LHR-SEA-LAX-OGG-LAX-ORD-HEL-BUD for £14xx with ideal long overnight layovers in LHR (at home) SEA, (for the game) and 2 nights on Maui. This transfers fine to the AA Hungary page for purchase in HUF, but I'm stuggling to get it through the UK page to pay in £GB.

Also how is b2b at BUD on the way out? Has anyone done this recently? Does OLCI check in with AA work OK for this type of ticket? (I seem to recall problems with ex-EU AA tickets before, specifically from BGO)
Ive never been able to get a GBP price on aa.com. Using powertools you might be able to get it to price in EUR using the Europe link. But the US/U.K. link always prices in dollars, and you will probably need to use a US zip code (but still using your actual UK address for the other fields). Only way I know to pay in GBP is calling BA.

B2B should be ok. But personally I’m just going to stay the night before and not stress about losing a whole trip in the unlikely event something goes wrong like a remote stand or a security balls up.

Recent report here: b2b in BUD - is it possible?
Markie likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 8:24 am

Just wanted some thoughts on missing the last leg of my work trip turned into a TP run. I live in London and booked RTM-LCY-LHR-PHX-SFO-JFK-LHR-LCY-RTM in Business class through American Airlines.

I just completed it picking up 500 TPs all apart from LCY-RTM. Are there likely to be any consequences from this? (Eg taking back the TPs, recalculating the price of the route I actually flew, etc)

I do have the flimsy excuse of my checked bags failed to show up from the JFK-LHR leg which “delayed” me in getting to LCY in time….

thanks in advance
Old Jun 12, 22, 8:48 am

I've been researching a possible TP run from AGP to LAX in January or February. I had one booked for this summer but cancelled it when BA kindly extended my status for another year. (Long may that continue, though I suspect that may be the last time!) I am trying to get a routing via HEL to maximise TPs (something like AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX). Finnair seem to have changed the timing of their flights between AGP and HEL, which means a layover in London on the outbound leg (not impossible) but then another layover in HEL on the return leg because they now only have evening flights between HEL and AGP on Saturdays and Sundays. That's a bridge too far for me, I think.

Can anyone advise of an alternative to the AGP-HEL routing that would earn a similar number of TPs?
Old Jun 12, 22, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Spock77 View Post
I've been researching a possible TP run from AGP to LAX in January or February. I had one booked for this summer but cancelled it when BA kindly extended my status for another year. (Long may that continue, though I suspect that may be the last time!) I am trying to get a routing via HEL to maximise TPs (something like AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX). Finnair seem to have changed the timing of their flights between AGP and HEL, which means a layover in London on the outbound leg (not impossible) but then another layover in HEL on the return leg because they now only have evening flights between HEL and AGP on Saturdays and Sundays. That's a bridge too far for me, I think.

Can anyone advise of an alternative to the AGP-HEL routing that would earn a similar number of TPs?
LIS is also another 140TP to HEL, so try that. There’s possibly another one but I can’t recall it.
Spock77 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by BERbound View Post
LIS is also another 140TP to HEL, so try that. There’s possibly another one but I can’t recall it.
Thanks. You're right! I've just found this very useful page: https://travel-dealz.eu/deal/tier-point-sweet-spots/. The other one is TLV.

The problem is that the flight options to the US from LIS are quite a bit more expensive.
higham44 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Spock77 View Post
Thanks. You're right! I've just found this very useful page: https://travel-dealz.eu/deal/tier-point-sweet-spots/. The other one is TLV.

The problem is that the flight options to the US from LIS are quite a bit more expensive.
It's bit outdated though - LHR-BEY is now 80 tps, RJ LHR-AMM is 80 tps too...
JayTee likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 11:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by martmeister View Post
Just wanted some thoughts on missing the last leg of my work trip turned into a TP run. I live in London and booked RTM-LCY-LHR-PHX-SFO-JFK-LHR-LCY-RTM in Business class through American Airlines.

I just completed it picking up 500 TPs all apart from LCY-RTM. Are there likely to be any consequences from this? (Eg taking back the TPs, recalculating the price of the route I actually flew, etc)

I do have the flimsy excuse of my checked bags failed to show up from the JFK-LHR leg which “delayed” me in getting to LCY in time….

thanks in advance
The concensus around here is that this is very unlikely to be a problem unless you miss last legs regularly, which may then eventually attract unwanted attention.
I have done this a few times over the years and never had it picked up, and assuming this is a one-off I think you can be confident no-one will notice or care.
You can produce any number of perfectly valid reasons for missing a particular flight if challenged, but best not to make a habit of it.
Old Jun 13, 22, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hello guys!
Did anybody recently try to find any tier point runs from any part of the Europe to LAX with 4 or 5 layovers?
Old Jun 13, 22, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by Toto1808 View Post
Hello guys!
Did anybody recently try to find any tier point runs from any part of the Europe to LAX with 4 or 5 layovers?

There may be what you are looking for in earlier posts in this thread. Why 4 or 5?

Search this Thread