Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Old May 9, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Deckter
something doesn‘t add up, as normally this is a fairly easy process, and ISTFlyer‘s how-to always works, i‘ve done it plenty of times that way.

Are you able at all to install the browser extension? Which browser are you using? Forget bookwithmatrix, it‘s nothing compared to powertools.
It's chrome, latest version (Version 101.0.4951.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)) on Windows 10. Google extension came from: Power tools extension. Only reference I have to use this is Here. I've missed ISTFlyers how-to and can see no reference on google. The previous link told me about the Passengers bar, which is there at the top of the screen. I've selected 2 passengers and proceeded through itinerary to "Itinerary Details" page and then what? There's no links to click. Nothing to get me anywhere. I go to the bookmark bar, extensions and the ITA Matrix powertools selection is greyed out.

It might be possible it's too complicated an itinerary for it, but I don't get as far as searching any sites for it.

It might all be moot, I checked the hotels in Oahu and it's Ł400 per night around Christmas, so well past my wallet. The flights for 2 in business might be less than 7 days in a hotel there.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MrPrice16
Could anyone be so kind to point me in the direction of any domestic west coast USA TP runs? Will be in LA in July and hoping to squeeze something in.

I have tried SFO, SJC, PHX but couldn’t find any reasonable fares. Appreciate might be out of the booking window.

(posted in the wrong thread so posting again!)
Demand for summer travel is very high within the US and as Alaska Airlines is currently having a staffing shortage ( they had to cancel a lot of flights in advance ), it's pretty normal that AS removed all those discounted domestic F inventory out of LAX for the summer. I wouldn't expect a perfect deal out of LAX during the summer as American fares are also skyrocket high due to the demand in domestic travel within the US.
MrPrice16 likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:02 am

Hi all, very new to the TP world and also bad at navigating FT so apologies in advance. I have my first TP run later this Aug (SOF-LHR-JFK-SFO, SAN-PHX-JFK-LHR-SOF), but BA have just cancelled the SOF-LHR on Aug 1st. They have put me on a new flight which leaves 2pm on the 2nd, but my LHR-JFK is supposed to happen at 9am on the 2nd. Have tried to contact BA but can't get through to the right department, they say they can't take my call and cut the line. Also no way online to change my flight so I'm pretty stuck.

I don't know what the rules are regarding changing from SOF to somewhere else, as I need to be on the JFK flight on the 2nd...Is this possible? Will it cost me to change?

Any advice would be gratefully received, apologies if this has been brought up before, I just can't seem to find anything.

Thanks
RG1X likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Travelstylers
Hi all, very new to the TP world and also bad at navigating FT so apologies in advance. I have my first TP run later this Aug (SOF-LHR-JFK-SFO, SAN-PHX-JFK-LHR-SOF), but BA have just cancelled the SOF-LHR on Aug 1st. They have put me on a new flight which leaves 2pm on the 2nd, but my LHR-JFK is supposed to happen at 9am on the 2nd. Have tried to contact BA but can't get through to the right department, they say they can't take my call and cut the line. Also no way online to change my flight so I'm pretty stuck.

I don't know what the rules are regarding changing from SOF to somewhere else, as I need to be on the JFK flight on the 2nd...Is this possible? Will it cost me to change?
I think the automatic rebook thing doesn't really attempt to make sense of your connection, so it's no surprise it now doesn't connect. I guess it has to be the phone line, but choose your time of day, perhaps early in the day. Others have had luck phoning the likes of the german phoneline via skype credit.

They've cancelled your flight, it shouldn't cost you to change. It might allow you to change the other flights to match up if absolutely necessary.

Last edited by Smid; May 11, 2022 at 3:48 am
Old May 11, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Travelstylers

Any advice would be gratefully received, apologies if this has been brought up before, I just can't seem to find anything.

Thanks
Have a look at other starting points within 300 miles, to see if they would work instead- I moved a SOF to IST earlier this year. It is allowed for free
m8_rotate likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
And you can drop the cancelled leg and start from LHR if that works out better. Again you would need to speak to BA to sort this as they would need to change the ticket and protect the remainder of the itinerary.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
When I had the same cancellation from SOF-LHR, they said I could drop the first leg but only with a re-price with LHR as a starting point, which was considerably more expensive. You may be luckier.

However, they let me change start point to OTP - which then didn't meet the other TATL flight timings, so they allowed me to re-schedule all of the connecting flights from LHR. You may be less lucky.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
When I had the same cancellation from SOF-LHR, they said I could drop the first leg but only with a re-price with LHR as a starting point, which was considerably more expensive. You may be luckier.

However, they let me change start point to OTP - which then didn't meet the other TATL flight timings, so they allowed me to re-schedule all of the connecting flights from LHR. You may be less lucky.
I believe from what I have read on this forum that what the agent said is incorrect. If BA cancel a leg then you are allowed to drop it without a reprice or you can change the date to -3/+14 days or change the airport up to 300 miles.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
I find I get a different answer every time - and this was a few months back. On that occasion it went away to the 'back office', other times I have had changes done there and then - including some which later agents have said shouldn't have been done. It all seems a bit of a lottery.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
And you can drop the cancelled leg and start from LHR if that works out better. Again you would need to speak to BA to sort this as they would need to change the ticket and protect the remainder of the itinerary.
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I believe from what I have read on this forum that what the agent said is incorrect. If BA cancel a leg then you are allowed to drop it without a reprice or you can change the date to -3/+14 days or change the airport up to 300 miles.
Dropping the leg would work, if the departure point was within 300 miles of LHR. However, the best thing to do here would be to change the departing point up to 300 miles and move it -3/+14 days. So an example would be day 1: IST-LHR, then day 3: LHR-JFK. I’m not sure if you are already booked on optimal flights, but take this opportunity to adjust your LHR-JFK and JFK-SFO legs should you wish to ideal timings as you have the freedom to. Once you confirm the flights, you can no longer make those changes (subject to your ticket rules).
Old May 11, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
Dropping the leg would work, if the departure point was within 300 miles of LHR. However, the best thing to do here would be to change the departing point up to 300 miles and move it -3/+14 days. So an example would be day 1: IST-LHR, then day 3: LHR-JFK. I’m not sure if you are already booked on optimal flights, but take this opportunity to adjust your LHR-JFK and JFK-SFO legs should you wish to ideal timings as you have the freedom to. Once you confirm the flights, you can no longer make those changes (subject to your ticket rules).
Can you tweak sectors that are unaffected by the cancelled sector - assuming MCT is still met?
Old May 11, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Can you tweak sectors that are unaffected by the cancelled sector - assuming MCT is still met?
The official wording is 'includes any connecting services on BA/IB and joint business 'back and beyonds' if included on the same ticket', so therefore yes since you can argue anything theoretically. I've managed to move a flight from LHR-DUB on the return segment of a TATL ticket to LHR-CDG despite the cancelled flight was the JFK-LHR and that ended up being moved earlier (so in fact, my connection was totally unaffected).
choosethedrew likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
The official wording is 'includes any connecting services on BA/IB and joint business 'back and beyonds' if included on the same ticket', so therefore yes since you can argue anything theoretically. I've managed to move a flight from LHR-DUB on the return segment of a TATL ticket to LHR-CDG despite the cancelled flight was the JFK-LHR and that ended up being moved earlier (so in fact, my connection was totally unaffected).
Wow, that had totally passed me by. I am now hoping BA does cancel my SOF-LHR sector so I can get a better connection HEL-JFK-LAX!
CarefreeBA likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Smile Newbie

Hi everyone! I am very new to tier runs and wanted some advice. I am 370 points away from getting Gold on BA, and need to do it by the 8th of August. I was hoping to do a trip to Singapore, or the like, this summer on QR, but the prices appear to be insanely high. Hence, following what people have said on here, I tried a few of the standard "tie run" options (ex-EU to NA). Unfortunately, the cheapest one I'm getting is IST-LHR-JFK/EWR for around Ł1600 on the 8th-11th June. I have seen people on here talk about much cheaper tier runs, for more points. Could you please share some tips and tricks on how to search for the lower ones? Or if anyone has found some trips for this summer, I would also be very grateful to hear them!

Thanks in advance!
Old May 11, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sartorial
Hi everyone! I am very new to tier runs and wanted some advice. I am 370 points away from getting Gold on BA, and need to do it by the 8th of August. I was hoping to do a trip to Singapore, or the like, this summer on QR, but the prices appear to be insanely high. Hence, following what people have said on here, I tried a few of the standard "tie run" options (ex-EU to NA). Unfortunately, the cheapest one I'm getting is IST-LHR-JFK/EWR for around Ł1600 on the 8th-11th June. I have seen people on here talk about much cheaper tier runs, for more points. Could you please share some tips and tricks on how to search for the lower ones? Or if anyone has found some trips for this summer, I would also be very grateful to hear them!

Thanks in advance!
Perhaps consider doing OSL-HEL-AGP return. A lot of availability throughout the next couple of months at c.Ł545. This would net you 360tps. The positioning flights to/from OSL would get you the extra 10tps on top.

You can also start from ARN or GOT for roughly the same price.
​​​​
Example here.
flyerkit likes this.

Last edited by ben1991; May 11, 2022 at 2:14 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.