Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by josh100
Hi Everyone,

1st post here. Thanks to all the amazing info here I recently (before the increase) booked my first TP run for this October: SOF-LHR-HEL-JFK-BOS-LAX-BOS-JFK-HEL-LHR-SOF for £1073 on the phone with BA. In my excitement I then immediately booked my positioning flights LHR-SOF (£215 in CW) and return on the same dates as the start and end of the run, having read here that B2B's in SOF are possible.

Now that I've read and understood a little more, I'm thinking I should have booked the positioning flight for at least 1 day earlier. The flights are not flexible as I'm flying in October, so now I either need BA to extend BWC another month and then I can bring the LHR-SOF a day earlier, or for USA to drop testing requirements so I can do online check-in and just do the B2B.

Or should I pay the extra £100 change fee and bring the positioning flight forward a day? Appreciate any advice on my dilemma!
Many thanks.
That's an impressive (and potentially tiring) TP run you have put together. Is each flight in the business cabin - if so, how many TPs does that get you? Would be interested to see the flight schedule you have (ITA Matrix?).
Old May 2, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by higham44
That's an impressive (and potentially tiring) TP run you have put together. Is each flight in the business cabin - if so, how many TPs does that get you? Would be interested to see the flight schedule you have (ITA Matrix?).
There are many examples of that specific routing with ITA Matrix screenshots in older pages of this thread and the 2020 edition of this thread.
Deckter likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Surely BA will have the good manners to cancel at least one of these SOF flights for you? Also, I imagine or at least hope that the USA will have dropped their test requirement by then. I think it’s worth waiting to see what happens.
I have something similar booked for September - can’t help but think the same in that the SOF will get canned - the fares BA pulls in are fairly low and there is only one service per day. The issue is there is no other 80TP route within 300 miles that I can tell.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I have something similar booked for September - can’t help but think the same in that the SOF will get canned - the fares BA pulls in are fairly low and there is only one service per day. The issue is there is no other 80TP route within 300 miles that I can tell.
Thessaloniki - SKG
Bucharest - OTP
Tirana - TIA
Corfu - CFU
Preveza - PVK

are all within 300 miles radius of Sofia and they also accrue 80 Tier Points.
Deckter and Bluekjp like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:51 am

Checking in from Helsinki on my Crystal Travel bargain Finnair run. I can confirm it’s a very civilised way to earn 160tps on a day trip.
  • all lounges open in T3 this morning, inc Cathay First
  • T3 was busy, especially if you didn’t have fast track
  • The new business seat on the a350 is not guaranteed, I had the standard seat this morning.
  • My plan had been to try and haggle my way onto the 4pm A350 back to London if we arrived on time. Our flight left 45 mins late. I walked past the 4pm london gate on my way to the lounge and tried my luck, but they weren’t going to entertain the conversation with 16 mins to departure. However, the gate was still open, so I would have scraped onboard if I had a boarding pass for that flight.
  • business Lounge is fully operational with pre covid offering, no platinum lounge for gold card holders though.
  • no masks required at any point, vaccine pass needed to checkin at T3 (where they also printed both my boarding passes)
  • The meal served on the 10.20am Finnair flight from London is Lunch, the main was very tasty, starter a bit weird (see photo). There was no choice of food.

I’m now about to board the A321 home, I’m hoping it’s a comfy flight in the row 10 exit row.

Now we just have to wait and see if the points credit!

My second and last run to get gold again this year is Catania for the day on 29th June, which I picked up for £236 return, using avios to save £30, so about £1.50/tp.
trolleymusic and Liyen Liaw like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thessaloniki - SKG
Bucharest - OTP
Tirana - TIA
Corfu - CFU
Preveza - PVK

If planning a b2b at the start of a TP run, don’t do it at TIA. No online checkin available, it has to be done at the desks in the terminal at TIA.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thessaloniki - SKG
Bucharest - OTP
Tirana - TIA
Corfu - CFU
Preveza - PVK

Well silly me! Only OTP suitable for a B2B though right?
Old May 2, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Joshm300
Checking in from Helsinki on my Crystal Travel bargain Finnair run. I can confirm it’s a very civilised way to earn 160tps on a day trip.
  • all lounges open in T3 this morning, inc Cathay First
  • T3 was busy, especially if you didn’t have fast track
  • The new business seat on the a350 is not guaranteed, I had the standard seat this morning.
  • My plan had been to try and haggle my way onto the 4pm A350 back to London if we arrived on time. Our flight left 45 mins late. I walked past the 4pm london gate on my way to the lounge and tried my luck, but they weren’t going to entertain the conversation with 16 mins to departure. However, the gate was still open, so I would have scraped onboard if I had a boarding pass for that flight.
  • business Lounge is fully operational with pre covid offering, no platinum lounge for gold card holders though.
  • no masks required at any point, vaccine pass needed to checkin at T3 (where they also printed both my boarding passes)
  • The meal served on the 10.20am Finnair flight from London is Lunch, the main was very tasty, starter a bit weird (see photo). There was no choice of food.

I’m now about to board the A321 home, I’m hoping it’s a comfy flight in the row 10 exit row.

Now we just have to wait and see if the points credit!

My second and last run to get gold again this year is Catania for the day on 29th June, which I picked up for £236 return, using avios to save £30, so about £1.50/tp.
Nice. Looking forward to my day trip in September!
Old May 2, 2022, 12:26 pm

Is that prawns in the meal? And there’s no choice? Must remember to order a SPML in that case.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
Is that prawns in the meal? And there’s no choice? Must remember to order a SPML in that case.
Yes it is, I was in 1a, so the first to be served and there was definitely no choice. Interestingly on the way back, the only choice was a vegetarian curry, which was surprisingly tasty. But it had prawns for starter.

Old May 2, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by higham44
Thanks, I've spread it out over 9 days to make a trip of it with the mrs. All flights in business and 960TP in total. It will be 1120TP including the positioning trip. As ISTFlyer mentioned its been covered a lot in this thread but DM me and I'll share the schedule.
Old May 2, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Benedmonds
Hey guys!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Trying to find some routes to NY mid June for a few weeks, and not returning any results for anything more than one connecting flight, am I doing something wrong? Happy to go anywhere on the East Coast for a good deal and leave from anywhere in Europe, hoping to keep it around £1.50/2 ish per TP.

Thanks!

Add ‘alliance oneworld’ to the extension code to reduce the search to a manageable level.

it’s 520TP ish, you’ve got no chance of £2/TP this close to June/July. If you’re trying to add hops in the USA you’ll need to break it down to multi city rather than round trip. I’d start with round trip, and find dates that have the best fares for x to y. Then try those specific dates on multi city trying to add hops on US east coast.

Last edited by dougzz; May 2, 2022 at 3:58 pm Reason: Messed up the quoting.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Well silly me! Only OTP suitable for a B2B though right?
PVK is definitely doable B2B (it's tiny, though I'd mention to the ground crew that you're flying B2B) and CFU is doable B2B up until ~June or from late Sep onwards.
CFU has multiple flights on some days (e.g. Fridays/Sundays until end of Oct) within 1-2h, which means you can leave on the 1st flight from LHR and wait 1-2h in CFU and "enjoy" the new terminal (there's a brand new Starbucks, Burger King and a very nice "pub" in the Extra Schengen area) waiting for the 2nd/3rd flight back.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:20 am

Does anyone know if the last leg of the TP run (eg LHR-BUD or LHR-SOF) has to be taken for all the TPs for the remaining legs to be credited?

I know theoretically the answer is Yes, but in practice? Does anyone "have a friend" who's successfully tried?
Old May 4, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mahrmgb
Does anyone know if the last leg of the TP run (eg LHR-BUD or LHR-SOF) has to be taken for all the TPs for the remaining legs to be credited?

I know theoretically the answer is Yes, but in practice? Does anyone "have a friend" who's successfully tried?
I have a friend who unfortunately missed the last leg of their run a couple of months ago but still got full TPs for the other legs
alex67500 and m8_rotate like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.