Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If it's within your budget, you could travel to the USA and you could take the NYC-RDU fare which is around GBP 250 r/t and earn 240TP's per trip. Doing 4 of them would cost about GBP 1000 and accrue 960TP's if choosing 2-stop options on all flights.

If you're looking for an ex-EU, there is AGP-HEL-LHR-XXX-YYY-LAX/SFO that would accrue 1080TP's for about slightly more than GBP 1k but the fare has a 6 month advance purchase requirement.
Bolding mine

The best fare I can find for that run is £1867 for late October this year. Any idea on cheaper dates? I'm quite flexible with leave at the moment.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:01 am

Decided the prices at the moment mean that I'm not going to go for GGL. Just not worth it.

I think that leaves me with a choice of two super cheap 5 day holidays (double tier points), or one USA tier point run, which (given current costs) is likely to cost me more... and leave me with more tier points than I actually need. I think the holidays are the better bet, guess I'm working from my hotel room for a couple of weeks this year!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Double Tier Points on Holiday Bookings
Thanks Jaenks: I hadn't properly read the small print and would have totally stuffed myself by booking trips for just me in July.

This is not asking suggestions thread. You have already asked help previously in a proper thread. There is a reason why those threads are separate.
I'm new here and came across this via a YouTube video. If someone could add to the Wiki above for general rules on how to the tier point running elements of the site it would be most helpful I skimmed it before posting and I have now read it more carefully and some additional guidance to new users would be really helpful.

I'm really grateful for the help I've received and blown away with the inventive routes I've seen and the last thing I want to do is repay that kindness by spamming the board.

Thank you again to everyone who's helped my understand tier point running over the last week or so.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by xenole
The NYC-RDU mentioned was something like NYC-DCA-CLT-RDU which earns 120TP each way (rather than a direct flight). It's somewhere however many posts back.

I.e.
Does this fare still exist? I just tried searching for April 19th, and it seems like the price went up. I'm guessing this fare isn't available every day of the month? April's calendar view does have some blanks.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Does this fare still exist? I just tried searching for April 19th, and it seems like the price went up. I'm guessing this fare isn't available every day of the month? April's calendar view does have some blanks.
Yes, the fare still exists, although it might be difficult to find availability when you don't plan in advance. Also, yes, there might be blackout dates; such as US holidays, long weekends, major demand periods, etc...

For example, there aren't any 6 flights in a day combination for April 19 but there is one combination that would allow 5 flights in a day for the cheapest Business/Domestic First fare.

Blue Skye and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
If you read posts from September 2021 in this thread, you will find proper screenshots what and to where to type.
I read all the September ‘21 posts. Are you referring to the one where AA flight code is forced in the search query? The search times out.

Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by destone
I read all the September ‘21 posts. Are you referring to the one where AA flight code is forced in the search query? The search times out.
I wrote from September but best examples come from October. As example posts #1310, #1323, #1324, #1328. Currently on pages 88 and 89.
destone and HalfAVegan like this.

Last edited by Jaenks; Apr 2, 2022 at 5:58 pm
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:30 pm

I wrote from September but best examples come from October. As example posts #1310, #1323, #1324, #1328. Currently on pages 88 and 89.
Speaking as an amateur at this sort of thing (or certainly unpractised in the last three years), those particular posts just show good examples of results, rather than how you search.

I found #1074 / #1124 much more useful in showing you what you should plug into matrix.

Though I do wish there was a "I really don't care, show me X stops between Y and Z option". Having to get the dates right on a multicity (handling the overnight / timezones), makes searching a pain for those of us that have high availability but low patience.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by RG1X
Speaking as an amateur at this sort of thing (or certainly unpractised in the last three years), those particular posts just show good examples of results, rather than how you search.
I found #1074 / #1124 much more useful in showing you what you should plug into matrix.
Though I do wish there was a "I really don't care, show me X stops between Y and Z option". Having to get the dates right on a multicity (handling the overnight / timezones), makes searching a pain for those of us that have high availability but low patience.
Those posts that I wrote show how to devide the segments for general search. Of course if you would like to take specific flights it takes more knowledge than this.
Maybe this thread adds more useful information: ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by destone
I am unable to even do even a AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-SFO roundtrip as the search breaks.

Could it be that the system doesn't handle codeshare between Finnair and American?

Individual search works fine as per the screen grabs below.

Leg 1: AGP to LHR via HEL on Sep 19

Leg 2: LHR to JFK via SFO on Sep 20

Leg 3: SFO to LHR via JFL on Nov 10

Leg 4: LHR to AGP via HEL on Nov 11
These fares are still available but slightly more expensive than before. From what I can see, fares between EU and NA have risen the past week. For the exact itinerary you're looking at, I'm seeing prices now are up at $1800 and are available with 180 days advanced booking.
destone likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Bit of a silly question

Looking at my booked travel for this year I was 150 TP short of 1125. I have now booked a BHD - MAD return in CE to get 160. As a bit of a novice at this sort of thing, I am intrigued to know why it was so much cheaper (around £500) to book BHD -LHR and LHR - MAD as separate journeys rather than as a single booking for the exact same flights? I could have got a through ticket for £30 cheaper, but BHD LHR would have been on EI in economy and don't know if it would have netted the required TP and operated into T2 as well.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:21 am

Like the above poster, I need an additional 160 TP to get me over the line before Aug 8.
I'm struggling to find anything not stupidly expensive.
I'd prefer to B2B so LHR-SOF would be good but that's around £500 it seems for a sat B2B.
Any advice on anything better or am I going to have to suck it up?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:37 am

Any good Business Class Ex EU - West Coast USA TP runs for Sept/Oct left?

Sadly missed out on the Sofia to Vegas £1200 fares. Seeing some Dublin ones circa £1300-1400 which.

Seems inflation has finally bit!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by webstereo
Like the above poster, I need an additional 160 TP to get me over the line before Aug 8.
I'm struggling to find anything not stupidly expensive.
I'd prefer to B2B so LHR-SOF would be good but that's around £500 it seems for a sat B2B.
Any advice on anything better or am I going to have to suck it up?
London to Bucharest is around £100 for ET. The POUG is usually £90 each way so £280 for 160 tp.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by ermis177
London to Bucharest is around £100 for ET. The POUG is usually £90 each way so £280 for 160 tp.
I see, very good tip. I will look into that, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.