BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 5, 21, 11:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 30, 22, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post
So I'm doing the old SOF-SFO run via LHR-HEL-JFK in September. A few weeks ago, the LHR-HEL disappeared and never came back. Ignored it for a while and finally got round to calling AA (had booked online with AA as BA couldn't get it to book on the phone) to see what was wrong. Initially she said the flight was cancelled and tried to book me straight from LHR to SFO on BA, but as it's a point run, I asked her to try and get my initial routing to work. The flight (AY metal) was still running, but I guess the AA codeshare somehow disappeared. In the end, she got me on the same flight, now with a Finnair flight number. So I'm back to my initial routing.

Just wondering if I could have made life easier on myself and just accepted the LHR-SFO direct and then claimed ORC to match my initial booking. Any experience or views? Given that it's so far out, good chance there will be other AA flight changes and thought maybe I can take advantage of this if I get offered a more direct routing.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
Finnair moved the timings of their HEL-JFK flights, and for some reason they cancelled the originals and then inserted new ones a short time after, which had the side effect of removing all the codeshare bookings ( not sure if that was the intent or not)
Old Mar 30, 22, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I'm a total newbie and I'm interested in going gold for BA Executive Club as cheaply as possible. My year starts on 8th July so looking to make bookings now for July onwards. I 'm travelling to Australia this year to visit family, that will be in October for about a month, I don't think business will be tier point optimal but you may have other ideas. Planning to see the world a bit this year on top of that Australia trip so I don't really mind where I go and I am quite flexible on time too. I've been watching Matt's World YouTube channel on tier runs and I've been using Google Flights and Matrix ITA. Also read the thread on here about BA Executive Club.

Flights to the US seem high based on Matt's videos, about 1.90 per tier point and his video was looking at 1.50 or under. So I've cast the net and read some more articles on different routes. I have some ideas and want to run them by everyone here if that's ok.

1: Abu Dhabi to Jakarta in Business with Sri Lankan Airways for 755 return. I'm seeing this price from August onwards, so I could make a pure round trip on the way to Australia in economy. I'd even consider doing 2. I have hotel points with IHG from a former life so I could probably use those if hotels are expensive.
I have looked at onward routes from Jakarta in Economy for 500 and from Colombo but it looks like it will be more effective to go round trip to Abu Dhabi and on to Australia from there.
I have a few questions, Is this still 560 tier points round trip? Also, if I book through Sri Lankan Airways website will I get BA tier points. And finally, 1.34 per tier point seems good, is this worth booking in?

2. Gatwick to Catania (CTA) I'm seeing 264 with BA 7th to 14th September this year. On Matrix it's listing a lower price in the monthly grid (217) but then showing higher prices when I click through (350)
This seems simpler, from the thread on BA points CTA is shown as a short haul plus for 80 points each way so 1.65 per point seems ok. If I did 2 runs like this early in my membership year then I'd get Bronze and the additional avios and check in perk, plus I'd have my BA flights for qualification out of the way.

Right now I'm thinking of 2 round trips each for Short haul plus (CTA and Sofia) and then do 2 round trips from Abu Dhabi on the way to Australia. Does that sound feasible or are the obvious flaws that I'm missing. Some feedback would be really appreciated. That is unless some US trips come down in price.
Old Mar 30, 22, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HalfAVegan View Post
I'm a total newbie and I'm interested in going gold for BA Executive Club as cheaply as possible. My year starts on 8th July so looking to make bookings now for July onwards. I 'm travelling to Australia this year to visit family, that will be in October for about a month, I don't think business will be tier point optimal but you may have other ideas. Planning to see the world a bit this year on top of that Australia trip so I don't really mind where I go and I am quite flexible on time too. I've been watching Matt's World YouTube channel on tier runs and I've been using Google Flights and Matrix ITA. Also read the thread on here about BA Executive Club.

Flights to the US seem high based on Matt's videos, about 1.90 per tier point and his video was looking at 1.50 or under. So I've cast the net and read some more articles on different routes. I have some ideas and want to run them by everyone here if that's ok.

1: Abu Dhabi to Jakarta in Business with Sri Lankan Airways for 755 return. I'm seeing this price from August onwards, so I could make a pure round trip on the way to Australia in economy. I'd even consider doing 2. I have hotel points with IHG from a former life so I could probably use those if hotels are expensive.
I have looked at onward routes from Jakarta in Economy for 500 and from Colombo but it looks like it will be more effective to go round trip to Abu Dhabi and on to Australia from there.
I have a few questions, Is this still 560 tier points round trip? Also, if I book through Sri Lankan Airways website will I get BA tier points. And finally, 1.34 per tier point seems good, is this worth booking in?

2. Gatwick to Catania (CTA) I'm seeing 264 with BA 7th to 14th September this year. On Matrix it's listing a lower price in the monthly grid (217) but then showing higher prices when I click through (350)
This seems simpler, from the thread on BA points CTA is shown as a short haul plus for 80 points each way so 1.65 per point seems ok. If I did 2 runs like this early in my membership year then I'd get Bronze and the additional avios and check in perk, plus I'd have my BA flights for qualification out of the way.

Right now I'm thinking of 2 round trips each for Short haul plus (CTA and Sofia) and then do 2 round trips from Abu Dhabi on the way to Australia. Does that sound feasible or are the obvious flaws that I'm missing. Some feedback would be really appreciated. That is unless some US trips come down in price.
Abu Dhabi to Jakarta in business is 560 tier points and yes they do credit to BA Executive Club. The prices are around 200 higher than pre-pandemic but still decent value in the current market if it can work for you
HalfAVegan likes this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 2:13 am

Some really good prices on CTA / SOF, but annoyingly BA doesn't seem to have much in the way of hotel options for either destination (would be good to use it in conjunction with the double tier point offer).

Related, I seem to be getting a 500 - Internal Server error when I press the "flights and hotels" button on the booking page. Tedious.

Oh, and welcome to the forums @HalfAVegan
efincomputer and HalfAVegan like this.

Last edited by RG1X; Mar 31, 22 at 2:36 am
Old Mar 31, 22, 4:32 am

I haven't done any research but if you're going to OZ perhaps you could do the DEL KUL SYD PER trip as part of your journey there? When I did it a couple of years back it cost about 1k (excluding positioning) and earned 840 TP I believe.
HalfAVegan likes this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by RG1X View Post
Some really good prices on CTA / SOF, but annoyingly BA doesn't seem to have much in the way of hotel options for either destination (would be good to use it in conjunction with the double tier point offer).

Oh, and welcome to the forums @HalfAVegan
I didn't know about the double points, so that's given me something new to think about. I've found a couple of reasonable 5 day breaks over the weekend to Sofia in September. About 480 with car hire and about 650 at the Intercontinental in the centre. Hiring a car and driving up into the mountains with a hotel for about 200 sounds like fun.

Thanks for the welcome, I think planning trips around tier points is taking over my life.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by webstereo View Post
I haven't done any research but if you're going to OZ perhaps you could do the DEL KUL SYD PER trip as part of your journey there? When I did it a couple of years back it cost about 1k (excluding positioning) and earned 840 TP I believe.
Thank you so much for that. I am constantly amazed by the inventiveness of the you all and your tier point runs. I've done a quick search and based on flights I would have bought vs positioning and this flight it's about 2 per point, which is not bad as I can have a few days in India and Perth. Then fly off to Melbourne.
Old Mar 31, 22, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by happeemonkee View Post
Abu Dhabi to Jakarta in business is 560 tier points and yes they do credit to BA Executive Club. The prices are around 200 higher than pre-pandemic but still decent value in the current market if it can work for you
Thanks for your help, it's difficult for a newbie to know what's good and what isn't. How much things should cost or did cost. I did fancy a week in Las Vegas but the price per point looks a little high at the moment.
Old Mar 31, 22, 6:36 am

Thanks for your help, it's difficult for a newbie to know what's good and what isn't. How much things should cost or did cost. I did fancy a week in Las Vegas but the price per point looks a little high at the moment.
I'm not sure that you should be focusing so heavily on the price per tier point, as there are so many other factors to take into consideration.

If you are travelling solely to earn tier points then, yes, the price per point is paramount. (But don't forget to include the costs of positioning flights, hotels, meals and other, unquantifiable, costs such as days off work and time away from the family.) If it's a trip that you would be doing anyway then the price per TP is less important, although it's always worthwhile to try to increase the TPs earned.

And bear in mind that air fares are generally going up at the moment as the world opens up again and the oil price goes through the roof, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to find those fantastic /TP ratios. If you fancy going to Las Vegas then just go: I recently flew there from Dublin for around 1,300 and earned 640 TPs, which is not the greatest bargain but is still well within the generally agreed definition of a TP run, which is (I think) 3 per TP, and puts you well on the way to Gold.
Old Mar 31, 22, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
And bear in mind that air fares are generally going up at the moment as the world opens up again and the oil price goes through the roof, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to find those fantastic /TP ratios. If you fancy going to Las Vegas then just go: I recently flew there from Dublin for around 1,300 and earned 640 TPs, which is not the greatest bargain but is still well within the generally agreed definition of a TP run, which is (I think) 3 per TP, and puts you well on the way to Gold.
I've got a couple of short breaks setup to take advantage of the holiday offer. 5 days in Marrakesh, 5 days in Istanbul, 5 days in Sofia... actual holidays (including hotel price) for ~1.5 per tier point. Not perfect, but works for me.

If I could get the damn site working I'd probably set up a couple more too.
Old Mar 31, 22, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
I'm not sure that you should be focusing so heavily on the price per tier point, as there are so many other factors to take into consideration.

If you are travelling solely to earn tier points then, yes, the price per point is paramount. (But don't forget to include the costs of positioning flights, hotels, meals and other, unquantifiable, costs such as days off work and time away from the family.) If it's a trip that you would be doing anyway then the price per TP is less important, although it's always worthwhile to try to increase the TPs earned.

On this too there's fantastic value in using the BAH promotion and the reduced qualification thresholds to get status. I have a rule that I can't afford to chase status but if I can get a tier point run to fit a holiday I go for it.

The status suits me for the lounge access and especially the free seat selection to grab an exit row seat in Y.

My collection year starts on 09 Sep this year and I managed to use the BA website to book flight and hotel late Sep for the following:

EDI -LHR-JFK-LAX; SEA-PHL-LHR-EDI
This will get me 1280tp
I value the 8 nights hotel at c1k so the flights are about 1800 which works out to be 1.40tp. But even more than that I get Gold until 31 Oct 2024 then Silver for another year which for 600 per year is fantastic value.

What will I use it for, probably a lot of Y trips to Europe, hopefully via T3 so I can enjoy a lunch in the CX F lounge between flights.

Edited to Add: There's also no positioning required in this for me too so no worries about missing connections or having to B2B
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 1, 22, 9:25 am

Programs: BA GOLD/ VS SILVER / WY GOLD/ SQ SILVER
Hi Hive,

Does anyone have any good routes suggestions to get 900+tps for like a 1k anywhere? happy to travel just need to maximise those TPS! in Business class ofc!

TIA
Old Apr 1, 22, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer1508 View Post
Hi Hive,

Does anyone have any good routes suggestions to get 900+tps for like a 1k anywhere? happy to travel just need to maximise those TPS! in Business class ofc!

TIA
If it's within your budget, you could travel to the USA and you could take the NYC-RDU fare which is around GBP 250 r/t and earn 240TP's per trip. Doing 4 of them would cost about GBP 1000 and accrue 960TP's if choosing 2-stop options on all flights.

If you're looking for an ex-EU, there is AGP-HEL-LHR-XXX-YYY-LAX/SFO that would accrue 1080TP's for about slightly more than GBP 1k but the fare has a 6 month advance purchase requirement.
Old Apr 1, 22, 9:34 am

Programs: BA GOLD/ VS SILVER / WY GOLD/ SQ SILVER
Hi IST traveller,

I can do the 2nd option so aslong as I can book it on BA.COM or over the phone with them as I have vouchers to use, happy for it to even be next year tbh! are you able to help me find a routing to get the maximum tps ?

I am really new to all this and have no clue totally flexible in terms of dates for next yeaR!

TIA
Old Apr 1, 22, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
If it's within your budget, you could travel to the USA and you could take the NYC-RDU fare which is around GBP 250 r/t and earn 240TP's per trip. Doing 4 of them would cost about GBP 1000 and accrue 960TP's if choosing 2-stop options on all flights.

If you're looking for an ex-EU, there is AGP-HEL-LHR-XXX-YYY-LAX/SFO that would accrue 1080TP's for about slightly more than GBP 1k but the fare has a 6 month advance purchase requirement.
Isn't NYC - RDU 40 TP each way in J, so 80 return? I may be wrong but the BA tier points calculator seems to think so.

Search this Thread