Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by Karen Jackson
if I wanted to book a round trip to Sofia, would I need to book the outward and return flights as seperate bookings? On the day I was looking at, the flight arrives in Sofia at 13.25 and leaves at 14.20 - it doesn’t come up in the BA website as a feasible return trip, presumably because there’s some kind of preset minimum in the system - or it this turnaround not physically possible?

Sorry if this is a silly question!
The turnround is feasible - booking it as return on the same day ins't. If you wanted to do just one B2B (ie out and then back only) you would have to book them as 2 separate one-way tickets.

Other wise, you can book a LHR-SOF return trip and a SOF-LHR return trip - and you 'nest' one inside the other. 4 legs total, flown as 2 B2Bs. So you get 2 round trips.

Date 1 - Ticket 1 - LHR-SOF
Date 1 - Ticket 2 - SOF-LHR

Date 2 - Ticket 2 - LHR-SOF
Date 2 - Ticket 1 - SOF-LHR
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
The turnround is feasible - booking it as return on the same day ins't. If you wanted to do just one B2B (ie out and then back only) you would have to book them as 2 separate one-way tickets.

Other wise, you can book a LHR-SOF return trip and a SOF-LHR return trip - and you 'nest' one inside the other. 4 legs total, flown as 2 B2Bs. So you get 2 round trips.

Date 1 - Ticket 1 - LHR-SOF
Date 1 - Ticket 2 - SOF-LHR

Date 2 - Ticket 2 - LHR-SOF
Date 2 - Ticket 1 - SOF-LHR

ooh that’s sneaky 😂

On arrival at Sofia is there a signposted route for connections? I’m new to this and I’ve never been to Sofia before. Thank you for your help
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Karen Jackson
ooh that’s sneaky 😂

On arrival at Sofia is there a signposted route for connections? I’m new to this and I’ve never been to Sofia before. Thank you for your help
Just get off the plane and it's mixed departures and arrivals.
Walk around the glassed waiting room to the boarding podium and enter the waiting area if you choose.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Ooh that sounds so easy - thank you 😊

Last edited by Karen Jackson; Mar 20, 2022 at 11:20 am Reason: Accidental duplicate post
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Have a read through this post - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tinations.html

If you are not familiar with the forum layout, go to the top of page 1, and click on the link "Click here to display full wiki' and all will be revealed!
danmushman and Karen Jackson like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
It looks like UL are back with AUH-CGK - good price too at £746 for 560TPs
MaxFlyer and SirToby like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I noticed yesterday that DUB-SFO is still around for about €1360-€1400 over Christmas in Business.

Routing either DUB-PHL-SFO-JFK-LHR-DUB (for the slightly lower price) or DUB-LHR-JFK-SFO and back the same way.
Hydebear likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by our_kid
It looks like UL are back with AUH-CGK - good price too at £746 for 560TPs
I guess the fare never went away, just the airline went into hibernation .

The current price is a significant increase over the earlier target level of around £500, but I guess the two 2000-mile sectors each way make it worth it in TP terms! In its hayday the route attracted multiple back-to-backers: i think the record was five of them, to edge into GGL world.

Originally Doha, Dubai and Muscat offered similar fares, but they gradually fell off the tree, leaving Abu Dhabi - so maybe grab this opportunity while it's still with us.

For anyone looking for J-class cheapos between AUH and CGK, rather than TPs, Saudia is offering a much cheaper deal than Sri Lankan.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I noticed yesterday that DUB-SFO is still around for about €1360-€1400 over Christmas in Business.

Routing either DUB-PHL-SFO-JFK-LHR-DUB (for the slightly lower price) or DUB-LHR-JFK-SFO and back the same way.
Indeed - I just booked DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO return for £1,190 with AA.
BA don't seem to be offering as good a deal with weekend flights, but AA can be done with travel outbound on a Friday and returning on a Sunday. Reservations for that fare need to be completed by March 31st and travel (outbound) completed by 31st December 2022, but like all these things - don't wait until the last minute to book as the fare can be pulled at any time.
I saw the initial fare on GF this morning, but since then the only way I was able to capture the prices I wanted was via ITA Matrix - so best to play around there vs GF for your dates.

Pilot37
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:34 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond

Would anyone be able to tell me why the price increases on BA (but not the AA filter) between these two searches (which should yield the same results)? I changed to multi city to delay the final leg by 24 hours or to return from Gatwick. But even when I keep the multi city dates so the results should be the same as original, I cannot get it the same price. Is it likely if I price the image on the left with BA and then ask them to push the final flight back on the phone, it would come out the same? Or is there anyway of delaying the final leg (ie. minconnect) without using multi city? I want to book with BA as I wouldn't mind a voucher from them if my plans change or a sale turns up. Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold Virgin Atlantic Silver Hilton Honors Silver
Hi
just booked this itinerary combining trip to Disney and get a few TP’s however, whilst the American legs show up on booking those on BA show as “On hold”. Haven’t encountered this before, anyone know why or how long roughly until they’re confirmed. Thanks

Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Trying to book a TP run to renew gold and this morning the Gold line says they've decided to stop taking phone bookings "for a few weeks" to "relieve pressure on their teams" so the cash booking option (#2 = #2) just gets disconnected. I am chasing a 180 day advance purchase fare which is too complicated to book online and BA won't take my booking... Really makes me wonder why I support the airline if they so obviously don't want my business... I wonder how a status extension request will be received as they are preventing me from booking what I need to extend my status?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by PxC
Would anyone be able to tell me why the price increases on BA (but not the AA filter) between these two searches (which should yield the same results)? I changed to multi city to delay the final leg by 24 hours or to return from Gatwick. But even when I keep the multi city dates so the results should be the same as original, I cannot get it the same price.
What are the two prices, out of curiousity?

Originally Posted by Frogdoctor
just booked this itinerary combining trip to Disney and get a few TP’s however, whilst the American legs show up on booking those on BA show as “On hold”. Haven’t encountered this before, anyone know why or how long roughly until they’re confirmed. Thanks
Who did you book this with? BA, AA, or someone else?

Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
Trying to book a TP run to renew gold and this morning the Gold line says they've decided to stop taking phone bookings "for a few weeks" to "relieve pressure on their teams" so the cash booking option (#2 = #2) just gets disconnected. I am chasing a 180 day advance purchase fare which is too complicated to book online and BA won't take my booking... Really makes me wonder why I support the airline if they so obviously don't want my business... I wonder how a status extension request will be received as they are preventing me from booking what I need to extend my status
Have you tried just calling again and seeing if you can get a different answer? Sounds quite bizarre to me for an airline not to be taking telephone bookings. Like unheard of bizarre!
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by danmushman
Hi
I'm looking at doing my first mini-TP run. I will need 225 TPs to get to Gold by August. I'm based in London.
My plan is for either June or July:

Booking 1
Friday night - Basic Economy
LHR->AGP BA 2710
18.45 - 22.40
5 TPs
£63

Booking 2
Saturday morning - Business Light
AGP->HEL AY1676
01.15 - 06.45
HEL->LHR AY1331
08.00 - 09.10
(140 + 80 TPs = 220)
Approx £500 - can be booked together on Expedia

Does this look reasonable and I have I made any glaring mistakes? Or are there any other suggestions?
I hope booking 2 is a true combined booking and if I miss the connection I can get put on a later flight that day.
I'm also looking for any advice about spending 3 hours at Malaga airport overnight when the lounge is shut.

Thanks
If you wanted a quick one day turnaround then I recently did a B2B with Finnair LHR-HEL-ARN and back for 240TP (all business). Was about £500 at the time (two separate bookings but entirely safe as the return flight from ARN is the same aircraft) but it looks a bit more now for July time. Still, left LHR 10:20 and was back at my house by 21:00 with some nasty Swedish duty free sweets for the kids!
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Have you tried just calling again and seeing if you can get a different answer? Sounds quite bizarre to me for an airline not to be taking telephone bookings. Like unheard of bizarre!
Its baked into the core message you receive when you call. I've previously had a variable message which cuts you off when they are very, very busy, but the entire message seems to have changed today with no booking calls being answered...

Last edited by Keep it Riel; Mar 22, 2022 at 5:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.