Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Many such itineries have a maximum mileage constraint. Again not an expert, and I don't know where to look for the mileage rule on each fare, but that maybe the issue.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by stephenjc
I could not get it to find any flights when trying to add HEL in though, what am I doing wrong?
Not defining the days. It's effectively a journey with multi-city stops. You can't do DUB-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-SFO in one single day. So you have to split the journey sections into the relevant days.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
1. Was using ITA Matrix last night and I was able to find some good lights DUB->LHR->JFK->LAX->SFO return (Thank you @Spongthrush!).

I could not get it to find any flights when trying to add HEL in though, what am I doing wrong?
try searching multicity to get routing via HEL

Is it possible to try and get all flights in Business except the A321 Sharklets Transcon, was looking to try that in First? When I search for First, it ups the LHR->JFK flight to first too?
You need TATL F fare to get F on transcon, there used to be a bug in BA's fares that when I class was not available, it would book you into A class on trascon, but that's been long fixed.

2. Do all AA & Air Alaska flights garner TP and Avios? Especially as some seem to be operated by other companies, for example Alaska 3305 (operated by Skywest Airlines As Alaskaskywest) and American 3058 (operated by Skywest Airlines As American Eagle), just want to check before I miss out on 80TP's.
They do. Skywest or Horizon are like CityFlyer/EuroFlyer for BA - they earn TPs and avios. JetBlue operated flights with AA code won't though (but they're usually excluded in TATL fare rules).
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
What have you already searched for? How many TPs do you need by which date? and so on and so forth.
Thanks. I need to fly BA metal with a credit I have. I can reposition nearly anywhere and my goal is to maximize the amount of miles I can fly on BA metal. Business would be great, but I’ll understand if that’s nearly impossible.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by christof
Thanks. I need to fly BA metal with a credit I have. I can reposition nearly anywhere and my goal is to maximize the amount of miles I can fly on BA metal. Business would be great, but I’ll understand if that’s nearly impossible.
If you're just wanting to spend your Ł600 credit you'd best just book from wherever you are to somewhere in Europe and back. There are a bunch of routes in Europe that earn 80 Tier Points each way rather than 40 in Club Europe https://pointstobemade.com/which-bri...-160tp-return/ - though not all will be operating. If you can go via London (starting somewhere else) you'll earn 40 more on each flight.

Otherwise you could spend about Ł500 more and fly DUB-LHR-JFK-SFO-JFK-LHR-DUB for about Ł1,150 as has been outlined on this thread many times. You're best looking for things yourself to start with and then asking on here if it's a good deal. Reading this thread through should give you plenty of ideas. Good luck.
efincomputer, alex67500 and dougzz like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC
AA vs BA flight number??

I had to cancel a previous TP run to get a few more days in San Francisco. Got an FTV so have to book through BA, which is fine. I have these 2 itineraries, which are exactly the same flights. Only difference is the Transcons are either BA or AA flight numbers. Is there any advantage of one over the other? Say in terms of help during IRROPS, would an AA number make a difference? And all the other segtors are already in the highest class, so would having an AA flight number be any more useful when trying to upgrade with cash? (To upgrade with Avios, I'd need AA flight number on a BA 125 ticket, but an I fare isn't upgradeable so that's not a consideration).

Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just as a remark, the ex-DUB fare would not allow a Helsinki detour for travel to the West Coast due to MPM ( Maximum Permitted Mileage ) constraints.
Although rather than adding 80TP's, you could add Madrid, Paris, Barcelona and another European gateway that AA or IB flies from the East Coast to add 40TP's per direction.
Eg: DUB-LHR-MAD-JFK-LAX-SFO
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
You can squeeze in an outbound leg via LAX for another 40TPs for Ł15 more if you really want :-)

Main difference with the BA codeshares is it sometimes makes a difference in terms of the Avios you'll earn (BA will always earn more - if there's any difference between the two flights). In your case it's no difference from what I can see, so really just cosmetic choice. You'll still need to manage your booking for AA seats via the AA system (likewise with Finnair for their flights) and they will use the AA flight number regardless (at least, that's my understanding - there are greater minds on here who can clarify if required).

Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by efincomputer
You can squeeze in an outbound leg via LAX for another 40TPs for Ł15 more if you really want :-)

Main difference with the BA codeshares is it sometimes makes a difference in terms of the Avios you'll earn (BA will always earn more - if there's any difference between the two flights). In your case it's no difference from what I can see, so really just cosmetic choice. You'll still need to manage your booking for AA seats via the AA system (likewise with Finnair for their flights) and they will use the AA flight number regardless (at least, that's my understanding - there are greater minds on here who can clarify if required).
Haha! I like the way you think. Looked at that, as in the event of an upgrade, I'd be able to double dip on FFD, plus maybe a visit to Qantas F lounge. But wanted to avoid the estra night in hotel at JFK. And If I can manage a free day, I might even try an one-day domestic TP run.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
For some reason it didn't work putting in the LAX leg on the way back (well, it did, but the price went up by Ł12k!!!). Are you able to pay for upgrades on the Flagship legs? Would love to try FFD, but haven't been on any First services yet - and ironically the one time i'm flying in F with AA in April, i've not taking the transcon until the next day, so won't be eligible :-(.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:23 am

For some reason it didn't work putting in the LAX leg on the way back (well, it did, but the price went up by Ł12k!!!). Are you able to pay for upgrades on the Flagship legs? Would love to try FFD, but haven't been on any First services yet - and ironically the one time i'm flying in F with AA in April, i've not taking the transcon until the next day, so won't be eligible :-(.
I believe you can ask at check-in for an airport upgrade, and you can bag one that way. VSLover on here in September reported that he was offered an upgrade at online check-in for $250. I'd probably be a taker at that price.

I'm with you, I'd also like to try Flagship First dining... the Champagne looks pretty good!
efincomputer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I believe you can ask at check-in for an airport upgrade, and you can bag one that way. VSLover on here in September reported that he was offered an upgrade at online check-in for $250. I'd probably be a taker at that price.

I'm with you, I'd also like to try Flagship First dining... the Champagne looks pretty good!
I think it's the LPGS that they also serve in the Concorde Room?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, was in the JFK FFD the week before last and it was LPGS. Also JW Blue. The food was significantly better than anything I've had in the CCR too.

​​​
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:40 am

From what I understand, it is.

I've only been to the Concorde Room once (sadly!) but the person serving kept my glass full. It's very delicious!
efincomputer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:41 am

Are we going to get a 2022 edition of this tread?

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.